User Tag List

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Cool Fan of Metallica?

Hey,

Not sure if there's ever been a thread about the big M, but just thought of it and decided I'd throw a thread out there for the sake of it...

Just wondering what people make of metallica these days?

I'm not as huge a fan as I was in my pubescent teenage years, but I do still enjoy listening to metal, and metallica too.

Pesonally I always liked their 'diversion' albums (load/re-load, poss' including the 'black album too if you're that hard-core )

I just like the fact that some bands reach a maturity with their music and keep on pumping out tunes. For that reason alone I still buy metallica albums.

When I was a kid, ...And justice for all , and Master Of Puppets, and the 'black' album were a staple diet of after school music and guitar riffery

...so then, the renaissance of Metallica? Didn't like St. Anger as much at first as I liked the Load/reload albums, but with the coming of Death Magnetic I started listening more closely and started enjoying the music again. Tho, I still think St. Anger was a bit too loose...

What's your take on them?

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They need to hang it up. (Note: I'm listening to "One" from "And Justice for All" right now.) St. Anger was a steaming pile of garbage, and "Death Magnetic" sounded like elevator music.

They claim they're trying to "rock" again but their music has no soul. Look at their previous albums -- their songs told a story, pulled at the heart, and in th case of "The Unforgiven" even told my life's story. (Seriously - you want to know how bad I had it growing up, listen to that song.)

Now, they sound like Axl Rose trying to bring back "Guns N' Roses" with "Chinese Democracy". Uh, no.

SitePoint Guru silver trophy JamesColin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never liked metal music. But I bought a vinyl of iron maiden like 20 years ago, because of the nice picture of the album (the hero killing someone with an axe)

Do you really need traffic? Where to? What for?
    If you really do need traffic then stop messing around!
    Advertise on my sites today: She Told Me & Best Reviewer :
    200,000+ UV / Month

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, they're an OK band, I guess. I respect what they've accomplished, and I don't go out of the room, if Metallica is on or anything, but I'd never buy an album.

By and large, it's not my cup of tea.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    See, I had pretty much the same opinion about the most recent albums until recently.

I agree that S.Anger wasn't as good as it was meant to sound. Far too bare bones even for me, though I considered some of the songs on death magnetic much more listenable. The exception for St. Anger was 'the unnamed feeling'..

Dan, you mentioned two albums there, one a total classic and the other a pop-metal classic. Listening back to the black album, to me at least, it sounds less genuine than the most recent, but perhaps that's an artifact of time?. Although, there's no queston hanging over anything Pre-black album. All of that , an especially 'Justice' was complete classic.

Then again I really liked load/reload not because it was metallica but because the songs spoke to me enough for me to like them.

Also I'm not sure what the elevators are like in the USA, but metallica would not make it in lifts here ( I know, you were kidding because ..... perhaps you're thinking is it sounded too 'trying hard' to be like the metallica of old?)

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started listening to Metallica back in 84, 85 when ride the lightning was their latest release. I really liked them back in the 80's but after Cliff Burton died the band really changed, they went from underground to pop and my tastes we're for harder and heavier metal so i stopped listening.

Plus their denouncement of their roots in metal and hammets claim they we're no longer a metal band but we're now a grunge band was just insulting IMO.

The last album by them i ever owned was the black album(xmas gift) i think that was the one with enter sandman, can't say i ever listened to the rest of the albums they released until death magnetic which i have heard 1 time and thought it was pretty good but did not sound much like metallica.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJEAeRdgqKA

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right, Ben. "Enter Sandman" is on their self-titled album (also known as "The Black Album").

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I loved Metallica.. I mean, buy any album without a doubt.. till re-load. That was pushing it. The black album was the last of the Metallica I knew.

I like their new stuff but it's not as raw.. I would not buy their new albums though.

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I am gobsmaked they are still going to be honest!
    Having seen them 3 or 4 times and had a near death experience in the snake pit, I can safely say - they blew me away....... back then.

Now, not so much.

St Anger was like Megadeth's Countdown to Extinction Album; OK but a bit naff.
    I quite like the stripped down recent stuff though but they probably should think about hanging it up now
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    so you are calling me a sheep because I agree with the opinion the St Anger album sucked?
    Even though at the time of listening to it I was sat alone with a guitar and no one to influence my opinion - and still thought it sucked.

Explain how that makes me a sheep

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I hear ya. I guess they don't show any signs of 'hangin it up' anytime soon, but I'm looking forward to see what they produce.

By the way, what do you guys listen to by way of 'metal' music these days?

Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    OK I guess there was a post removed between mine!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    LOL. Yup, I had some smart-alec response to that but went with something on topic instead. Something about talking with sheep...nevermind, moving on....

Presumably a spammer whose post got trashed?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    By the way, what do you guys listen to by way of 'metal' music these days?
    I listen to all sorts of metal (and jazz too) mainly doom, death, black and what they call 'stoner' metal

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lol.. got some names? Just using spotify a lot recently, and I'm always on the lookout for new tracks to listen to.

I love Sepultura these days, can't get enough of Chaos A.D and Roots, but I find found their music when Roots came out.. Was pretty hard core back then.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    Lol.. got some names?
    Band names I assume? There are so many, too many to name here on a forum where people do not like this sort of music. I will send you a PM.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was a huge fan as a teenager and now I can take them or leave them, if they played on the radio I wouldn't change the station but i am not going to put their cd on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like them, just not all at once. After a few songs they begin fading together to me.

Iron Butterfly is where its at.