User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

testing screen resolution

hi

I'd like to use different divisions in my web page depending on the the screen resolution. How can I do this ?

I've found this exemple

HTML Code:
    <!--[if lte IE 7]>
      <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="ie-7lte-hacks.css" media="screen" />
    <![endif]-->
    as far as I know html doesn't have IF, so how does this work ?

And is there something similar for screen resolution ?

TIA
    pat

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Actually that is a conditional comment, you are right that HTML does not have IF statements but that is a propriatory comment produced by Microsoft which only works in Internet Explorer, all other browsers ignore the statement as it's just a comment which IE chooses to read more into. No there isn't a specific version that works for screen resolution, you could use JavaScript but screen resolution is not an accurate method of documenting the browser width as most people don't have browsers maximized or have stuff in sidebars.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can use JavaScript to work out the browser viewport size if your visitor has JavaScript enabled. The screen resolution is irrelevant to anything within the web page as the viewport is usually smaller (but can also be bigger) than the screen resolution and the viewport is where the page is displayed. That isn't going to work for those without JavaScript though.

You can design your CSS with fixed width blocks inside percentage width ones so that they will restack in different ways depending on the width.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    You can use JavaScript to work out the browser viewport size if your visitor has JavaScript enabled. The screen resolution is irrelevant to anything within the web page as the viewport is usually smaller (but can also be bigger) than the screen resolution and the viewport is where the page is displayed. That isn't going to work for those without JavaScript though.

You can design your CSS with fixed width blocks inside percentage width ones so that they will restack in different ways depending on the width.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    Actually that is a conditional comment, you are right that HTML does not have IF statements but that is a propriatory comment produced by Microsoft which only works in Internet Explorer, all other browsers ignore the statement as it's just a comment which IE chooses to read more into. No there isn't a specific version that works for screen resolution, you could use JavaScript but screen resolution is not an accurate method of documenting the browser width as most people don't have browsers maximized or have stuff in sidebars.

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can use CSS media queries to apply differently styling to elements depending on, for example, the dimensions of the viewport.

See http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-mediaqueries/#media1 for more details.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks interesting, I'll try it, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    You can use CSS media queries to apply differently styling to elements depending on, for example, the dimensions of the viewport.

See http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-mediaqueries/#media1 for more details.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Stevie D, the major flaw in CSS Media Queries and the reason I didn't include them is very few devices actually support them (we are talking the low single digit percentages here), CSS3 is a draft specification as it is, and media queries are really not on any priority list so personally I wouldn't count on them for anything more than a "stab in the dark" theory.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that explanation

Stevie D, the major flaw in CSS Media Queries and the reason I didn't include them is very few devices actually support them (we are talking the low single digit percentages here), CSS3 is a draft specification as it is, and media queries are really not on any priority list so personally I wouldn't count on them for anything more than a "stab in the Thanks dark" theory.

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The major flaw in CSS Media Queries and the reason I didn't include them is very few devices actually support them (we are talking the low single digit percentages here), CSS3 is a draft specification as it is, and media queries are really not on any priority list so personally I wouldn't count on them for anything more than a "stab in the dark" theory.
    A man can dream...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    A man can dream...
    I would prefer to dream of support for multiple background images