SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should I be using a CMS?

Hi All,

Traditionally, I've only ever worked on small, CSS and HTML websites. I'm more of a front-end designer than a developer so have limited working knowledge of scripting languages. I have installed Joomla, Drupal and Wordpress but not sure if these are suitable for what I need.

So, I've always used Dreamweaver to manually hand-code all my HTML and CSS. For larger sites, I've dabbled in the template features of Dreamweaver.

As I begin to work on a much larger site, I think I may need to look at some sort of CMS which will allow me to use layouts and code that I write. I like the sound of automating new templated page rollouts and interactive features for site visitors and users like search, comments, blogs etc.

The brief is very relaxed and I am pretty much in charge of how the site will look and what it can do. Basically, I'd like to keep control of the CSS and SEO HTML that I write but enhance my methods of managing the site and speeding up the whole process - any other features I can integrate into the site would be a bonus.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I feel I must be one of the few designers who start from scratch every time I work on a new site!

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
    Jeff

Currently starting up - brandobjectives.com
    Currently marketing - hampertown.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend Wordpress as a good starting point. The theme structure is easy to understand and well documented. Plus there is a plethora of tutorials out there that extend beyond the documentation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you need many different functionalities go with Joomla, if you need just basic article publishing/ newspaper style go with wordpress.