SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guitar Question...

Hello Fellow Site Pointers

This time I'd like to address the guitar gurus among you, I need some help.

I've been a gibson fan so far, and got myself a nice les paul and played and played and played.

Now I've discovered Stevie Ray - I'm just in love with the fender models, you see it's a completely different sound than gibson and it is used for blues which is a style I live for

Anyways, I need you to give me some explanation about the different fender guitars, I know there are many types, so what is the difference? I have learned to play Voodoo Chile - the Stevie Ray version and Little Wing and going to play them in a gig I'm about to have, so I'd like to do it on a fender and not on a gibson.

So let me know everything U know about these guitars.

Thanks
    Tutorials Search Engine: FindTutorials

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not me, but one of my friends knows. You can ask him.
    -*-
    B-School Forums - GMAT / MBA / Admissions discussions
    -*-

<?php echo(witty title)?> Sal Petrarca's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm just learning guitar now myself (bassist by nature), but to me, the main differences between guitars are MATERIAL and PICKUP. Also, the BLEND of body/neck pickup you use has a lot of difference too.

Guitars made out of a different material will resonate differently. Not only that, but the finish on the body can inhibit/encourage a different vibration (If you want to try this, go to a guitar shop and play a cheapy Alvarez and then a nice Seagull {both acoustic}...you'll notice a BIG difference in sound).

Pickups...different pickups for different styles is about all I can say.

Blending...ya gotta play with it to get the right sound

Hope that helped!
    Geeks...Rock...Your...Box
    Sites:Dark Moon Rising:::My Site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say go for your own sound. Fenders and Gibsons both good. I love the warm clean sound you can get from a Les Paul as well as how it sounds when cranked up. But the Fender can have a lovely light almost ringing clean sound - tremelo arm good for those Hendrix moves.

But mess around until you like what you hear. Amps make a big difference too but of course it's a bit expensive to play around with them and guitars.
    the bottoms of my shoes are clean from walking in the rain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, if you wanna mess around with both, go to Guitar Center in Mass (if you live in the area). They have a MASSIVE selection of Amps and Guitars...it's basically a mall for guitarists!!

I like Marshalls, Peaveys, and Ampegs (Ampeg has been around a LONG time...they make an awesome amp!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a guitar some guy wants to sell is me - what do you think? it's American Strat - made in america ))

one pickup was replaced for better distortion - and it's in tip top condition.... what do you think?

Any advice about the questions I should ask him? I already asked the standard questions regarding neck pickups etc. anything original?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FindSP.com; Jun 12, 2002 at 07:57.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fender bender here. Own 1972 Telecaster (original) and 90's US Strat Plus Deluxe.

If you want a "raw" bluesy sound, nothing beats the Tele, simple as. However it doesn't have the versatility of the Strat, which inherently has a richer sound, but depending on the pick-up set up can be varied dramatically.

If you're a Hendrix fan then the strat is the obvious choice, but don't forget that a lot of his sound is down to innovative electronics and compression rather than the guitar itself. If you want a "Dirty" blues sound, go for a Tele/Marshall/Vox Wah combo. If you want a "punchy" blues sound then look at the above but substitute a Fender amp. If you want versatility, go for the Strat. Ideally, get both .

I would adore to own a Les Paul custom as well if I ever get the cash, I love the sound and action.
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a guitar some guy wants to sell is me - what do you think? it's American Strat - made in america ))

one pickup was replaced for better distortion - and it's in tip top condition.... what do you think?

Any advice about the questions I should ask him? I already asked the standard questions regarding neck pickups etc. anything original?
    Age and Year of Guitar. Verify that it is US made and not Korean/Mexican/Japanese etc. Find out what tremelo rig it has. What pickups?

First and foremost - play it!! A good guitar finds you, if you don't fall in love instantly or it feels awkward, t probably isn't for you....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    made in 95 - he had it for 1 year.... looks great sweet sound feels great but than gaain I haven't had too many guitars so I'm not sure

made in USA - BTW why does it matter - I know there is a difference but what?

let's see he changed the 5th mode - the bridge pickup to a good distorion one... dimar.. something forgot the name of the company... there other ones are fender pick ups..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, just noticed that www.fender.com is in php

What existing pick-ups does it have - what model is it basically? Does it have Lace Sensor? What about the trem? Floyd Rose would be nice..

USA is good. Has to do with the type of wood and durability basically. The others tend to sound fine (although perhaps not as "warm") for a couple of years, then deteriorate.

Try and find out the exact model, and even better if you can, the serial number - that can tell you a lot (been years since I've looked at this stuff ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TheOriginalH
    USA is good. Has to do with the type of wood and durability basically. The others tend to sound fine (although perhaps not as "warm") for a couple of years, then deteriorate.
    If they're not from USA, they're usually just thrown together by a machine...

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a guitar guru, but an acoustic guitar guru--I can tell you anything about an acoustic and acoustic models. Electrics are a different world for me. :shrugs: sorry.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I <3 a nice acoustic...I have a Seagull acoustic at home....Oooohhhhh.....

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $seagull == the best thing Canada has ever dreamt up...

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol, yes! I want to visit that town one day...Hey Sketch....wanna go for a road trip, lol? We'll meet halfway!