SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eye Sight and Computers

I've noticed a sad state, and that is after over 15 years on a computer,(imagine some on the internet now were only 2 YEARS OLD at that time around) that the effects on my eyes may be starting to show, although I don't wear glasses. I noticed that I have to view PDF files at 300% to clearly read what is written otherwise I'll skip a sentence, then get confused on why I didn't understand something or even get a bit angry, all because the size is too small.

I think I'm at the beginning stages which is a good thing, because hopefully I can solve the problem or keep it at the beginning stages for still another twenty or more years (I hope). What visually exercises can be done for the eye ?

I know that if you are tired and you're trying to force yourself to do something that for some, like myself that won't work. I have to just stop for the day or for that moment and give my eyes a break or if I can take a cat nap. As each version of Windows came out, something I never cared about in the past, as I did some reading that they have put such things as this topic into consideration. Our eyes are important, and something we take for granted until they go bad or the worse blindness. If you are blind I have great respect for I believe it's probably very difficult even though you get use to it and have to get on with daily routines.

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may have to face the fact that you need some corrective eyewear, but there are exercises you can do such as looking to each side and up and down, alternating points of focus. Definitely avoid squinting as that can make it worse over time.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vitamin A helps too. Eat carrots!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    They help maintain your eyesight. Too bad they don't cure it :P
    hoang harry tran [harrytran.com]
    get RICH quick by going to my site. rich in useless knowledge

recently redesigned the site, witness its greatness

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh right Vitamin A, I might have to pick up some.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Beware the were-rabbit!

Either way, there are options to work around those kind of issues, you can get laser vision correction which is a totally geeky method of zapping your eyeballs with lazer beams intended to clear up some of the problems (not aging) of your eyes! It can help people get around the need for glasses, contact lenses and in some cases... telescopes The important thing is to take regular breaks from the computer to avoid severe eye strain.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I may pick up some Vitamin A and those regular breaks I do anyhow. Laser eye surgery I know a few who have had it, not that cheap either.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    V a is better for you eyesight!

Although theycant cure your eyesight..

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently I still have good eyes, so I assume this is very early on in the eye sight game If I take vitamin A and give my eyes more break times I'm sure I can delay anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Get your eyes checked out properly, you can get problems detected early on before they turn into something serious

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting my eye checked use to be Free Now I have to pay. I need a self personal eye examination kit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can use some corrective glasses to improve your eyesight but only use it when needed. And Vit. A is a good suggestion too
    sig space open...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My eyes were messed up for awhile from extended computer use, but they got better.

Best thing to do, (if it's possible for you), is to limit time spent at the computer. I write most of my algorithms and ideas down on pen and paper. I don't read longer documents on the computer anymore, instead I aim for reading books but sometimes will print out .pdfs or other information I find valuable but it gets annoying having to keep up with ink and paper. Also, fresh air, exercise, and healthy food is the cure all for everything.

It's pretty easy to forget our eyes aren't made for staring at a computer screen 24/7, it's unnatural, think about it.

Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Actually, what the doctor told me to take to try to avoid blindness was something called Auxina A + E. (that is, Vitamin A + Vitamin E). It is thought that it helps but it is not proven that it can stop it. But then, my problem is not only caused by computers so I think that you should visit the doctor and ask him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SiberianHuskey View Post
    I need a self personal eye examination kit
    Strap two magnifying glasses to your eyes and look in a mirror

Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Alex, this is more serious than you think. I tell you by personal experience

You are supposed to visit your eye doctor every 6 months. When I problem arises, they will tell you which kind of tests you need to do at home.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Crazybanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't worry as medical science has come a long way, I've had eye surgery 5 times now (not laser). the last time I was so sure i was going blind but they managed to fix it again

no doctor has ever told me to stop using my computers

jk go see some doctor, take some tests and get yourself some glasses or contact lenses if needed
    Who's to doom when the judge himself is dragged before the bar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Alex, this is more serious than you think. I tell you by personal experience

You are supposed to visit your eye doctor every 6 months.
    My eyes have always been useless (lasy eye), I just don't have the time or energy to go see the eye doctor, maybe I should find a witch doctor instead

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SiberianHuskey View Post
    Getting my eye checked use to be Free Now I have to pay. I need a self personal eye examination kit
    If you lived in a third-world country, I'd sympathise. But you don't and therefore, saying you have to pay is no excuse. Yes, I know things are expensive. But you only have this one pair of eyes. Screw it up, and you might regret it for life.

Medical science is progressing fast, but so far, you can't transplant a new set of eyes. So do something before you regret it.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    My eyes have always been useless (lasy eye), I just don't have the time or energy to go see the eye doctor, maybe I should find a witch doctor instead
    If they exist, a witch doctor may be more practical

A lazy eye may have a solution if spot on time. You should see the doctor NOW. My grandmother had it as an adult and she could recover.
    If you experience some problems with your eyes there's no excuse not to visit the doctor. Help yourself a little bit, would you?

In my case, there's no solution and no remedy but I go to the doctor nevertheless because you never know... science advances are huge and there may be a solution in the future.