SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WP Plugin question

I'm using Google XML Sitemaps. I've posted my question on wordpress forum, but no reply.

First, I was getting this error when checking the sitemap:

XML Parsing Error: no element found
    Line Number 1, Column 1:

I followed the steps recommended here except deleting log error file b/c I couldn't find it.

It didn't work. Now, I'm getting these errors in addition to the other error:

# There was a problem writing your sitemap file. Make sure the file exists and is writable. Learn more
    # There was a problem writing your zipped sitemap file. Make sure the file exists and is writable. Learn more

I followed the "learn more" instructions and uploaded .txt files with 777 permissions but still not working.

Any help sooo appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been some time ago so I can't be for sure, but I came across I believe the same problem as yours in the past. Making sitemap file and sitemap zip file with 755 or 777 permissions did not fix my problems either, so I instead changed the corresponding site's root folder to 777 to build the sitemap and then revert it back to its default permission setting for obvious security reasons. I believe the default wordpress addon domain root folder is 755 and the main root folder is 750. Once the sitemap is built, you won't need to toggle with permission settings as it will no longer give you error even under default permission settings.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, it maybe related to the XML, how about try <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>

you could have a try and hope help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - You need to have sitemap.xml and sitemap.xml.gz files at your wordpress root directory with 777 permission
    - Make sure that you have XML, GZIP modules enabled on PHP on your server.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for your responses and help. My computer was down so wasn't able to get back on right way....

I just rechecked the plugin in WP admin and it's not giving me the "There was a problem writing ..." error messages now. It's saying that it was created, but when I check the sitemap, I get the same error:

XML Parsing Error: no element found
    Line Number 1, Column 1:

Quote Originally Posted by tikijj View Post
    ...so I instead changed the corresponding site's root folder to 777...
    Wait.....I tried doing this and now the other 2 errors are back after I clicked rebuild sitemap manually.

- You need to have sitemap.xml and sitemap.xml.gz files at your wordpress root directory with 777 permission
    - Make sure that you have XML, GZIP modules enabled on PHP on your server.
    I thought I did. Both sitemap files are in the root of http://cli.gs/z9gyWu. Should they be in a WP folder under janisallen?

Does any of this maybe have to do with the way the file structure is set up with my hosting account? I have a "deluxe" account where one site is set up as the account site and under that, there are folders for all the other sites. The site in question is under the main one for example, when I login, I go to mainsite.com/sitefolder/wp-admin: http://cli.gs/mtSnPQ.

IMO, it maybe related to the XML, how about try <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
    I just noticed that there is a sitemap.xml for janisallen in the root of the main site for the hosting account. This is what's funny....the sitemap.xml on the root of janisallen is blank but the one on the root of the main site of the account is the correct sitemap.xml for janisallen. I tried copying it from the main site folder to janisallen and it won't. It stays blank -- the sitemap......this is weird. It seems like this account structure doesn't work for certain plugins.....

This is Godaddy's Deluxe account (unfortunately). Their service really isn't the best and this account setup is for the birds. I've had other problems with it too....having multiple sites on the Deluxe account.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks to me that you are using cPanel file manager for CHMOD. Don't use cPanel file manager to change permission (CHMOD), instead use FTP client programs like Filezilla to do so. Don't forget to revert it back to the default permission setting after the sitemap is created successfully.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tikijj View Post
    It looks to me that you are using cPanel file manager for CHMOD
    Filezilla wouldn't let me change the permissions of a folder on the server....only a file. That's why I went into the cpanel.???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Filezilla wouldn't let me change the permissions of a folder on the server....only a file. That's why I went into the cpanel.???
    That's really odd, because I had no problem changing folder permissions with filezilla.. I tried it again just now to verify it and it works just fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if filezilla does not allow, it must be ownership issue. Consult your host.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if Sculley is still following this thread, but I'll add what I've found out anyways. First off, you should do what the above poster has suggested. If it is the issue, it would be an easy fix. But if that does not work, read this,
    Changing File Permissions via Shell Access
    Also, many people on windows servers seems to be affected of the same problem. Apparently, windows servers' permission level is somewhat crappy.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am still following....thank you! I'll try that......

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both files are changed to 777 (not the whole folder). I deleted the plugin, reinstalled it and still getting the same error messages in the Admin area, however, different error message on the sitemap now:

Error loading stylesheet: An unknown error has occurred (805303f4)http://www.theaffluenzaproject.com/j...or/sitemap.xsl

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is beyond my technical know-how, your best bet is to visit
    http://wordpress.org/tags/google-sitemap-generator
    Particularly check out this thread, http://wordpress.org/support/topic/228689
    Sorry I couldn't be more of help and good luck fixing it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well maybe the plugin can't locate the sitemap?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend re-active it. Because I was so. I do so then it came back fine.

Good luck.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried deactivating and reactivating several times as well as uninstalling and reinstalling. Thanks all for trying!!

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is with how the GoDaddy Deluxe account works. Don't recommend it at all for a person with many sites. The site map is here: http://www.theaffluenzaproject.com/j...en/sitemap.xml.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks lovely right now, Sculley!

Would you mind sharing what you did to fix it?
    "I'm Commander Shepard, and this is
    my favourite post on the internet."

We'll miss you, Dan Schulz.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing....just changed the path. It's b/c of the way my hosting account is set up. WP or the plugin picks up the main account so have to put www.mainaccount.com/directory/sitemap.xml instead of actual site: www.siteinquestion.com/sitemap.xml. Does that make sense?