SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Draw a rounded rectangle with two colours

Hi guys. I want to draw a rounded rectangle but I require two colours. Like the following here

Any ideas how I can achieve this with two colours??? Am using photoshop or illustrator

Thanks

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1. In Photoshop select the rounded rectangle tool . If you see only pointed edge rectangle, then click and hold on the tool and the rounded edge will fly out. Select it.

2. In your file, click and draw the size you want. Name your layer! (rounded or something)

3. Create a new layer above the rectangle you just drew.

4. Select the marquee tool and draw the top section.. it can be wider than the rectangle but draw the height close to what you want. Fill it with a colour. Name it! - "top"

5. Deselect. Now you should have three layers. The background, the rounded rectangle and the top part. Hopefully the top most layer "top" is selected.

6. In your layers panel move your cursor inbetween the top layer and the rounded rectangle layer and hold your OPTION key down. You should see the cursor change... if not, then keep moving your cursor till it is between the two layers. Once the cursor changes, click.

7. You should see the top part - "clipped" to take the shape of the rounded rectangle.

Here is a rough picture version - there are really four steps to this:

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much conradical. That works great

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The clipping mask tool is phallic looking! Who in the Adobe team came up with that icon?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You got the answer to your question. I would like to add that, always keep in mind that whenever you will want to draw a bi colored figure with solid colors, you will have to apply similar technique, otherwise there is the gradient tool to create a diffused effect.