User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recommend me a host please

Hi all,

I'm in the process of adding finishing touches to my website. So I hope to launch it very soon.

All I need is a good reliable web host. I've got a domain name sorted.

My website will have resources for webmasters and free gadgets they can add to their own websites. Such as a shout box, counters and so on.

The gadgets will be hosted on my server, so I need something reliable that can handle a lot of requests.

Also, the website will be VERY SQL intensive. So there should be no SQL DB downtime if possible.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

SitePoint Zealot digital_shubhi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you need a better host with max uptime go with Hostgator.
    I am using them and never got any problem of downtime till now.

- Digital -

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by digital_shubhi View Post
    If you need a better host with max uptime go with Hostgator.
    I am using them and never got any problem of downtime till now.

- Digital -
    Yeah I've heard good things about them.

I'm not sure which one to go for though, Hostgator or Linode. Linode is a VPS solution so that wouldn't that be better? Having my own virtual server with guaranteed specs.

I'm thinking of going for Linode 360 myself or Linode 540 with a friend, so we'll share the server and split the monthly cost. And I won't install cPanel which hogs memory (or so I've heard?) as long as I've got FTP access and some kind of remote MySQL DB management tool (phpMyAdmin) I'm absolutely fine with that.

If anyone has used Linode before then I'm interested to hear from you because as of now, I'm leaning more towards a VPS solution

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    sbm,

VPS tends toward lower (albeit guaranteed) limits on RAM and storage/bandwidth. However, you do eliminate other problems with a VPS (I'm on one now with HostingZoom's modAPS).

IF you do go VPS, other members have reported that HG is not a good host for VPS. I don't remember what their complaint was so search here and via Google.

Finally, IMHO, don't be so quick to discard the primary way to manage your server (WHM/cPanel).

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may use allwebnow services which are low cost and useful, they offer their services with many resource.
    Their coupons help much to get their services at lower rates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that simple web hosting account will be fine for you to get started. Make sure database is located on the same service as your web hosting account is. That is important to remember
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IF you do go VPS, other members have reported that HG is not a good host for VPS.
    HG doesn't offer VPS services. They used to offer semi-dedicated a few years ago, but they stopped offering that too, probably as a result of people expecting too much out of what was still a shared hosting environment after all.

The gadgets will be hosted on my server, so I need something reliable that can handle a lot of requests.
    Going by the description of what you're going to host and offer to your users, I think you should go for a VPS. A dedicated might prove to be needed sooner, rather than later, if your site picks up.

Keep in mind that the Linode VPS is not managed. You do need a sys admin to take care of your VPS/server.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. And yeah looks like I'm going start off with a VPS then and possible buy another VPS later which will host the database only (since that's where most of the requests will go to). I'm fairly inexperienced when it comes to linux, so I think I'll go for a Linode 360 and play with it for 1-2 months (love the quick disk image creation process) before I start my website. Since there's still some coding left to do.

Thanks again for the advice.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Before choosing a hosting provider, I would suggest you to check the kind of support the hosting provider offers as this is really important. Also, as you are not experienced with Linux, I would suggest you to opt for a fully managed Linux VPS with a control panel to manage your server efficiently. When it comes to control panel, cPanel/WHM control panel is suggested with Linux VPS.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Hey Sbm007,

There are reliable web hosting companies operating in the market currently such as HostGator, LimeDomains, Yahoo! etc.

You can try any one of these!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose that would be not vise to sign up for the unmanaged VPS solution as inj any case you will need to hire admin to take care of, so in thi case managed solution might appear less expensive

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Nelson View Post
    Before choosing a hosting provider, I would suggest you to check the kind of support the hosting provider offers as this is really important. Also, as you are not experienced with Linux, I would suggest you to opt for a fully managed Linux VPS with a control panel to manage your server efficiently. When it comes to control panel, cPanel/WHM control panel is suggested with Linux VPS.
    Customer support over at Linode is amazing from what I heard. Those guys are quick with responding. Also they have a community forum where many experienced people can share advice, so that's quite nice as well.

I've used Linux several times before, so I know how to work with it on a basic level. Also on the Linode FAQ it actual says that if you are 'Linux n00b', then this is the best time to learn a thing or two by using Linode.

They don't offer cPanel as far as I'm aware, you'll have to buy your own license and then install it yourself.

But I'm a bit lost when you guys say that I need a sys admin to manage my server.

What does that mean. Installing applications (apache/lighttpd, php, mysql etc) and configuring their configs/tweaking settings? Backing up server, setting up accounts, etc etc?

Is it all of that stuff? Or is it something more. Because I'm fairly sure I can do the above and if not, I'm pretty quick to catch up.

Also Linode has an excellent Wiki and Library which explains how to step by step install a linux distro and a web server and so on. And also how to tweak your server for best performance. Most of these entries are user/customer submitted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When choosing a web host, you should be very careful. First analyze what exactly your needs are and choose your host. Form the best bang-for-buck web hosts out there, I would suggest you to try http://hioxindia.com certainly makes a difference and it is necessary so that you can contact your hosting provider round the clock for any assistance in case of any issues.

Thanks and Regards,
    San

Twitter: @SprightlyMedia Manpasand's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend LunarPages since I am a happy customer.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi,
    I am using Dreamhost. So far so good and the support is fast. You can get a $50 discount coupon code easily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a happy customer of hostgator.com There support is amazing with the guys going a step further in even solving your problem even if it doesn't have to do with hosting. They have an online chat support 24X7. When you look for a good hosting company, the support system is something you simply cannot ignore.

all the best.

Lian
    Last edited by ldcdc; Aug 21, 2009 at 18:06. Reason: affiliate link

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last client had some deals with dayanahost and was telling about high performance of their services, so I think there might be something suitable for you...

Mind, I have no personal experience, but i am to believe the client, as I work with this person not for th one year. Anyway taking a look would not harm

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, the servers need to be located in my home country,
    and ensure that they have a phone number routed to someone who speaks your lingo.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go with Hostgator since they are a very well known and trusted host.
    Last edited by longneck; Aug 27, 2009 at 15:15.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using hostgator myself and have never faced a single downtime for SQL DBs. Would that help you?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Sbm007 View Post
    But I'm a bit lost when you guys say that I need a sys admin to manage my server.

What does that mean. Installing applications (apache/lighttpd, php, mysql etc) and configuring their configs/tweaking settings? Backing up server, setting up accounts, etc etc?

Is it all of that stuff? Or is it something more. Because I'm fairly sure I can do the above and if not, I'm pretty quick to catch up.
    Well, fully managed does include installation of necessary applications like apache, lighttpd, php, mysql, html etc. and it also includes support for these applications. If you can install and manage these applications then it is certainly good, however, if you find these thing difficult then I would suggest you to choose a hosting provider who offers fully managed servers.

Also, if you do not get cPanel/WHM control panel, you can purchase a license for it and install it on the server or you can look for another hosting provider who offers fully managed Linux VPS's with cPanel/WHM control panel with the Linux VPS's and I think you know where to search for this kind of hosting provider (Google )

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lianvaiphei View Post
    I am a happy customer of hostgator.com There support is amazing with the guys going a step further in even solving your problem even if it doesn't have to do with hosting. They have an online chat support 24X7. When you look for a good hosting company, the support system is something you simply cannot ignore.
    Yes, i totally agree with that. There are many hosting company out there only provide ticketing and email supports for 24x7 but no live support or live support for sales inquiries only.
    Since your website are very SQL intensive with real time user activities, you need a real time hosting support team who can provide live support for you on any hosting issues.
    Cheers!
    Roy
    Tagged on latest ASP.NET Hosting technologies and features.