SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Removing Enteries in Boot file

I would like to know if there are two entries for Windows XP in your boot.ini and you want to delete the one not in use. Would that be the second entry or the first entry ?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rule number 1: backup first... (copy the contents of your boot.ini file in notepad, then Save As, maybe something like boot.ini.original)

Why are there two entries?

You want to point the partation parameter(x) to the correct partition that XP is installed on. Does your current file look something like:

[operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
    In this case, you could delete the second entry if you are sure that the first one is correct.

Scroll down to 'Sample Boot.ini File' to see examples here.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /NOGUIBOOT
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINOS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    I have (2) boot loaders because of a previous installation of WindowsXP a while ago. Which one of these two entries is invalid ?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SiberianHuskey View Post
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /NOGUIBOOT
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINOS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    I have (2) boot loaders because of a previous installation of WindowsXP a while ago. Which one of these two entries is invalid ?
    Right click the 'My Computer' icon on your desktop
    Select Manage
    Click 'Disk Management' on the left

Do you now see the current drive/partition that XP is installed on? Your computer starts counting drives from 0, then 1, etc...

Your first entry lists:
    and your second entry lists:
    Delete the one that is not correct

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, I got it. The second one rdisk(0) is the one I have to delete. Thank you.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    :thumbsup: