SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Help With Buying New Montor...

So for the past couple of days i've been tirelessly comparing and contrasting different monitors and i swear my head is about to explode.

I've narrowed my selection down to a few that are within my price range and that have the specs i'm looking for. one of the models is an Acer 23" Model: H233H bmid (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218049006792).

I've never owned an Acer but from the reviews i've read so far it seems like a pretty good monitor as far as price and features are concerned. the thing is, most of the reviews are from people who seem to use it mainly for gaming and watching dvds. two things i rarely if ever use my computer for.

since i am going to be using it for web design (photoshop & dreamweaver) i am more interested in hearing what web designers think. any of you guys/girls out there have first hand experience with Acer, or even better this particular model? I am going to be using it alongside my 20" syncmaster. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an Acer 20" and love it. I do development(all kinds) and web stuff on it. anyways I'm glad I have it and would definetly consider buying another acer when I get more room on my desk

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaredR. View Post
    i am going to be using it for web design (photoshop & dreamweaver)
    You want to be looking for non-TN then... but they cost more. When searching, run your candidate's part number here, and it'll tell you what type it is... alot of the time it's not easily found.

Roughly using your specs, I ran it through an online selector here, and selecting:

What screen size would you like? 22 - 23 inch
    Do you want a wide screen monitor? Yes
    What is your price range? Below 200 (<300 Euros)
    What is your primary use going to be? Photo Work and Editing
    What is your secondary use going to be? Office / Internet
    Do you need wide viewing angles, or will you be mostly using the monitor on your own and able to view it head on? Yes, I need wide and unrestrictive viewing angles
    Are you very fussy about needing a DVI connection? Yes, I definitely want DVI
    Would you like any extra functionality? Not bothered about any in particular

the recommendation from there:

Dell 2209WA (widescreen) has a 22 inch 6 ms (g2g) e-IPS (LG.Display LM220WE4) panel

Maybe a little more than your budget first allowed, but I think you would be pretty happy with it from feedback that I've heard at POTN.

hth...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaredR. View Post
    I am going to be using it alongside my 20" syncmaster.
    Missed this part the first time... (came back to make sure the links all work )

Just in case your 20 incher is a 204B, and when it goes out... coz it could/will... this cheap fix, fixed my secondary:

http://www.fixya.com/support/t763268...yncmaster_204b

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, the non TN monitors look VERY nice. the price...not so much. i was actually looking at the 2209WA the other day. if i had to go over my budget in order to get a quality monitor it would be for to get that model. there's just sooooo much info out there it can get a little overwhelming. thanks for the feedback. im going to go check out that link you provided. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bob_d View Post
    You want to be looking for non-TN then... but they cost more. When searching, run your candidate's part number here, and it'll tell you what type it is... alot of the time it's not easily found.

Roughly using your specs, I ran it through an online selector here, and selecting:

What screen size would you like? 22 - 23 inch
    Do you want a wide screen monitor? Yes
    What is your price range? Below 200 (<300 Euros)
    What is your primary use going to be? Photo Work and Editing
    What is your secondary use going to be? Office / Internet
    Do you need wide viewing angles, or will you be mostly using the monitor on your own and able to view it head on? Yes, I need wide and unrestrictive viewing angles
    Are you very fussy about needing a DVI connection? Yes, I definitely want DVI
    Would you like any extra functionality? Not bothered about any in particular

the recommendation from there:

Dell 2209WA (widescreen) has a 22 inch 6 ms (g2g) e-IPS (LG.Display LM220WE4) panel

Maybe a little more than your budget first allowed, but I think you would be pretty happy with it from feedback that I've heard at POTN.

hth...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the Samsungs myself, but have seen some beautiful Acers and say if it has the features you need at a price you like, then get it.

My last monitor came from Newegg and I just checked and that Best Buy price seems to be a nice deal - so I'd say go for it.

I can see see color accuracy being a big deal if you're doing print work, but if you're doing web stuff that's going to look different on every users monitor, don't worry about it.
    Web Designer or Small Business Owner?
    Need More Leads and More Clients?
    Get Free Marketing Tips, Tricks and Ideas Here!