User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Why I give up Microsoft Office! From Now

Dear all,

Aside from having many bugs and numerous security problems, Microsoft Office has one other big drawback -- the software costs a small fortune.

So I want to choose other one. I ask all my friends, which office is right for me? Some peopel said: Openoffice, other guys said KSOffice.

I have no idea.

Who can tell me which one is better?

Thank you very much!

Vivi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go for OpenOffice.org, IMO. It is a very mature project now, and it's free! I've been using it for years. Well basically coz I use a Linux desktop a lot as well.

So I would suggest you go for it!

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since both are free software applications, why don't you try them out? That is the only way to determine which one is better for you.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

I tried again!

Open office need retraining, I don't like it.

KSOffice looks Microsoft office, I like it.

But I don't know Office suite very much.

Have you test them?

I need you tell me answer!

Thank you very much.

Vivi

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When you change to any piece of software, you should expect the need to retrain, it's obvious that they won't look or work exactly the same. Personally I don't understand part of your arguement, all software has security flaws, Microsoft Office is actually pretty stable in comparison, most issues only occur in the form of macro viruses which these days are very rare and are sandboxed to some extent and blocked from loading by default. As for costing a fortune, you generally get what you pay for, if you paid for the Student / Home edition of MS Office its very cheap (for a suite of apps) and you get Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote. As for the more expensive versions, I have Office 2007 Ultimate and you have about 10 individual applications (and powerful ones at that) for the money it comes to less than $70 per application... which is exceptional value. If you want insane prices, look to Adobe, not to Microsoft (in this case anyway).

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I recently purchased Microsoft Office 2007 and the price was quite reasonable. Quite a lot cheaper than OpenOffice even though it is not as good (particularly since Microsoft stuffed up the interface). Then again what can you expect from software where you are paid to take it out of the store (well not straight away since the up front cost was $148 - less $74 tax rebate, less $25 Microsoft rebate, less the $98 poweboard the store insisted on giving away with it leaving us negative $49 out of pocket). Allowing for the electricity cost to download Open Office that makes Microsoft office at least $50 cheaper than OpenOffice which given that I'd rate MS Office 2 out of 10 and OpenOffice 9 out of 10 still makes OpenOffice the much better deal. To give equivalent value Microsoft really ought to send me a cheque for another two hundred dollars (they can send it to the same address they sent the $25).
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    I recently purchased Microsoft Office 2007 and the price was quite reasonable. Quite a lot cheaper than OpenOffice even though it is not as good (particularly since Microsoft stuffed up the interface). Allowing for the electricity cost to download Open Office that makes Microsoft office at least $50 cheaper than OpenOffice which given that I'd rate MS Office 2 out of 10 and OpenOffice 9 out of 10 still makes OpenOffice the much better deal.
    felgall, that is just plain rubbish , The time it takes to download and install openoffice is much shorter than the time it takes to install Microsoft Office, if you are comparing eletricity costs MS Office is the worse overall, especially as it requires more resources, stresses the hard disk more (etc), not to mention the power for the DVD drive required, it took me around 2 minutes to download OpenOffice, are you telling me the electricity consumption of 2 minutes download from my always on connection was more costly than a retail copy of MS Office? , the very idea that you would claim that MS Office is cheaper than OpenOffice is laughable at best. As for the interface the ribbon in my opinion is so much better than the old menu systems, its more efficient... much more efficient.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All boils down to what you use the program for in the end. For me, I just basically have OpenOffice installed so I can read documents sent to me in MS or OOo format. Then write something as word, xls or whatever. I don't really use these programs heavily everyday with all the functions and macros in a spreadsheet or something.

While we do use it in the office to list down some urls or keywords, or a presentation on the projector, that is the only complexity (if it is any complext at all) we do with the office suite, and that is why OpenOffice suits fine for this.

MS Office is very powerful, less all the criticisms and the cost, but there is a free app that suits my basic needs.

* Yeah I laughed when someone said MS Office is cheaper than OOo.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who can tell me about KSOffice anything? Please

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy rushiku's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by interwsw View Post
    Who can tell me about KSOffice anything? Please
    The fact that no one said anything about it should tell you plenty.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't mention if this is for personal or commercial use, but MS Office Home and Student is very reasonable (compared to the commercial version anyhow) if you're not using this for business.

Steve
    Web Designer or Small Business Owner?
    Need More Leads and More Clients?
    Get Free Marketing Tips, Tricks and Ideas Here!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    felgall, that is just plain rubbish , The time it takes to download and install openoffice is much shorter than the time it takes to install Microsoft Office, if you are comparing eletricity costs MS Office is the worse overall, especially as it requires more resources, stresses the hard disk more (etc), not to mention the power for the DVD drive required, it took me around 2 minutes to download OpenOffice, are you telling me the electricity consumption of 2 minutes download from my always on connection was more costly than a retail copy of MS Office? , the very idea that you would claim that MS Office is cheaper than OpenOffice is laughable at best. As for the interface the ribbon in my opinion is so much better than the old menu systems, its more efficient... much more efficient.

Okay then - ignoring the cost of downloading OpenOffice compared to receiving MS Office on CD the zero cost for Open Office was still $49 dearer than the copy of MS office cost me. I already explained in the earlier post how the government, Microsoft, and the retailer between them refunded $197 of the $148 that I paid for it.

As for the interface, I have spent 20+ years using menus and shortcuts quite efficiently with computer programs and can use them extremely efficiently. I can't be bothered learning how to use the ribbon no matter how much better it might be (and I don;t see how it could be better unless the options read my mind and select themselves) and so the ribbon may as well not be there as far as I am concerned - where is the option to turn it off completely?
    Stephen J Chapman

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also think the cost for MS Word is quite reasonable. It's an extremely powerful tool, if you learn it well and use more than 10&#37; of its features. I have the 2004 version and it's more than enough for me.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for the interface, I have spent 20+ years using menus and shortcuts quite efficiently with computer programs and can use them extremely efficiently. I can't be bothered learning how to use the ribbon no matter how much better it might be (and I don;t see how it could be better unless the options read my mind and select themselves) and so the ribbon may as well not be there as far as I am concerned - where is the option to turn it off completely?
    MS Office Tip: How to Turn off the Ribbon in Office 2007
    http://www.nirmaltv.com/2008/01/07/m...n-office-2007/

How To Bring Back the Old Menus in Office 2007
    http://blogs.howtogeek.com/mysticgee...e-2007-ribbon/

Why the New UI series?
    http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/archiv..._/default.aspx

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_d View Post
    MS Office Tip: How to Turn off the Ribbon in Office 2007
    I can't find the spot on that page where it tells you how to kill the ribbon, only how to hide it (something I did immediately after loading Office 2007.

How To Bring Back the Old Menus in Office 2007
    That looks like a great idea. Any idea where I can find a copy of the code that works - the downloads from that site do absolutely nothing at all.
    Stephen J Chapman

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about number one felgall, you are right... it only hides the fluent menu.

On number two... under 'UBitMenu International Downloads' section just click English (UK,US) - UBitMenu UK works for me, using Opera.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On number two... under 'UBitMenu International Downloads' section just click English (UK,US) - UBitMenu UK works for me, using Opera.
    After playing around with it a bit I finally got it working (in Word, Excel, and Powerpoint). It still effectively uses the height of five menus/toolbars to display the content of three but at least the menus are in roughly the right place so it's a lot better than not having it. Not much point trying to turn off the ribbon while that is installed since it effectively adds the menus and standard toolbars as a ribbon. Why didn't Microsoft think to provide it as standard so those upgrading wouldn't have a tough time of learning their new interface - they must have had a brain dead moment while developing the ribbon.

Thanks.
    Stephen J Chapman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Okay then - ignoring the cost of downloading OpenOffice compared to receiving MS Office on CD the zero cost for Open Office was still $49 dearer than the copy of MS office cost me. I already explained in the earlier post how the government, Microsoft, and the retailer between them refunded $197 of the $148 that I paid for it.
    That is rather unique circumstances though isn't it? I certainly don't know anyone else who effectively paid me to use Microsoft office, you are acting like it's the norm when clearly it isn't the case. So it's rather silly to make out that OpenOffice is more expensive than Microsoft office when FREE negates the entire concept of cost.

Microsoft are re-adding the menu's as an option in Office 2012, they have already acknowledged this, while I agree the option to revert should be given I personally have improved my productivity using the ribbon than navigating through menu's, it IS a much better system if you take the time to learn it. The only people I know whom have complained about the new ribbon in terms of how much simpler it makes things are those too lasy to learn.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    open office since its a free software, I use a mac but a friend winth openoffice says its great

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy rushiku's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkivinay View Post
    open office since its a free software, I use a mac but a friend winth openoffice says its great
    If you're interested, OpenOffice (being a Java based app) has you covered: http://download.openoffice.org/other.html#en-US

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Outside of work I just use Google Docs for 90&#37; of my office needs. The only time I use Word is to make sure other people using Word see my documents correctly. But admittedly, office type apps is a very small part of my computing outside of work.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're going to go with a free Office suite, try out IBM's Lotus Symphony. I love the MDI interface they use (especially having word documents, spreadsheets and other apps under one program, oh and they are detachable to their own instances too); if they only had support for Office XML it'd be the perfect office suite for both personal and commercial purposes.