SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry IE6 to be supported by MS until 2014 !

Hi,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, remember don't shoot the messenger !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8196242.stm

Microsoft has underlined support for its Internet Explorer 6 web browser, despite acknowledging its flaws.

The software giant said it would support IE6 until 2014 - four years beyond the original deadline.

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, thanks for the support, Microsoft, pal! I can't believe it.
    I'm sure quite a few larger businesses that are stuck with IE6 will welcome this decision. I think it's most unfortunate, to put it in diplomatic terms.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Presumably that support is for intranet use only since the browser would require a major upgrade in order for it to work with web pages the way they will be written in a year or twos time.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that is a nice, and hopefully not too optimistic presumption. I'm not all that keen on needing to support IE6 for a whopping five more years. IE6 would have the age of a teenager by that time, which is at least 110 years in internet time.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm making my own cut off year and that is 2011, I also assume that is for Intranets.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My IE6 visitors have fallen from about 25&#37; at the start of the year to 17% now so I estimate that unless the Google operating system is released before then (with an ad campaign to match that MS used for win95) that IE6 has about two years of life left. If Google launch before that then in two years time there might not be many people running Windows to be able to run any version of IE (that is based on what MS did to the far superior OS/2 operating system that they themselves developed for IBM through their overhyped win95 launch - a product doesn't have tro be good to sell hundreds of millions, it just needs the right ad campaign [it does need to be good to sell thousands though]).
    Stephen J Chapman

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a product doesn't have tro be good to sell hundreds of millions, it just needs the right ad campaign [it does need to be good to sell thousands though]).
    A Product doesn't have to be good to sell hundreds of millions, but it needs to be good to sell thousands, isn't millions more Either way with proper marketing and promoting whatever you can get reputation and name, otherwise Bill Gates, Madonna, and the likes wouldn't be where they are, they have those that hate them and those that like them. And truth is those that hate them I don't think they care and even if you don't rich the pinnacle of that level of wealth, at least you can say you tried with whatever it is, which a lot of times the nay sayers can never say. Alright just something I wanted to add

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Internet Explorer 6 is part of Windows XP. Microsoft continues to support Windows XP. Therefore Microsoft continues to support Internet Explorer 6.

Specifically, Windows XP Extended Support runs through April 2014, so support for IE6 continues to 2014 as well.

It's not a special acknowledgement or vote of enthusiasm for IE6. It's just meeting the obligations of the support contracts.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could have swore IE7 came with XP, that is what I have on my XP. If your right, I'm still going to do my own personal ending of IE6 by 2011, gosh though 2014 is quite a number of years IE6 will still be going.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows XP was released in 2001, along with Internet Explorer 6.

IE7 came 5 years later with Windows Vista.

You can upgrade through Windows Update, but it didn't come with XP.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe you, I suppose IE7 came with SP2 ?
    Almost 10 years of XP that is a record, wow.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is just ridiculous...hopefully it'll only be used in corporate buildings.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't get all this animosity.

MS isn't forcing anyone to use IE6, they're just extending their support for it.

People complain when MS does stuff that is anti-consumer (cut off support for a product) and they complain when they do stuff that is pro-consumer (extend support for a product).

Do you really think that MS is happy to expending resources to support this outdated monstrosity?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys it shouldn't be an issue anyways. Aren't most of the people that use it people that work for companies (like the Whitehouse) that shouldn't be surfing your sites anyway (no offense)?
    Have a good day.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shame that such an outdated browser is going is still going to be supported. One thing that developers can continue to do is let the user know they are using an old browser and encourage them to upgrade by offering a link to firefox/chrome etc...

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well there goes the chance of getting a new Win7 PC image at work...

I suppose since most of our in-house webapps can only work in IE6, there'll be no reason to upgrade us to modern software for another 10 years (presumably while they pull their fingers out of the unmentionable, and get working on updating these archaic systems). Pah!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SiberianHuskey View Post
    A Product doesn't have to be good to sell hundreds of millions, but it needs to be good to sell thousands, isn't millions more Either way with proper marketing and promoting whatever you can get reputation and name
    Exactly - if you don't use marketing and promotion to any great extent then a good product can sell thousands of copies. If you do use marketing and promotion to its full extent then you can hundreds of millions (or more) of any old crap.

If a product has only sold thousands of copies then chances are that it is a good product that hasn't been promoted much at all.

Those with the biggest marketing budgets win, for example - IBM in 1981, Microsoft in 1995, Google in 2009, ? in 2023.
    Stephen J Chapman

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does "support" mean anyway?

They no longer fix bugs anyway, so what's the point of it being described as "supported"?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SiberianHuskey View Post
    I believe you, I suppose IE7 came with SP2 ?
    No it didn't. Microsoft still haven't added IE7 to a service pack yet. Perhaps they'll add it to SP4.
    Stephen J Chapman

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have said this before on several occasions.

M$ will stop supporting Windows XP in 2014, and with xp...ends support for ie6.

they will stop releasing updates for xp, for ie6, and it will become even more of a security vulnerability.
    i guess some people will continue using IE6 for years to come even after 2014, but we will be able to safely drop support for ie6 too.
    well, unless a majority of your users are still on ie6 by then.

edit:
    as Dan Grossman has kindly pointed out before me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren884 View Post
    Guys it shouldn't be an issue anyways. Aren't most of the people that use it people that work for companies (like the Whitehouse) that shouldn't be surfing your sites anyway (no offense)?
    People that work at companies are the people that buy things online for said companies. So if you sell to businesses, or to people working at businesses, then you hope those people are surfing your site at work. And you make sure your site works for them, or you they will do business with someone else that does.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    People that work at companies are the people that buy things online for said companies. So if you sell to businesses, or to people working at businesses, then you hope those people are surfing your site at work. And you make sure your site works for them, or you they will do business with someone else that does.

Exactly. Which is why I'm slightly irritated. It really isn't such a big deal, just a point of frustration from a designer's point of view. Actually, I do like Windows XP (minus IE6), I can understand the business logic, but it doesn't change the fact that the extended support goes hand in hand with limitations and progressive design that - I'm sure - many designers/developers rather not have for another solid five years.

Oh well. Can't be helped either way.

I solve practical problems. bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last official catridge for the Atari 2600 came out in 1989, 12 years after the console debuted in 1977. By then the Sega Genesis was out.

Which goes to show that corporations wallow in their own feces long after everyone else has left it behind. Microsoft is no different from anyone else in this regard.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Which goes to show that corporations wallow in their own feces long after everyone else has left it behind. Microsoft is no different from anyone else in this regard.
    It's a little different. Windows XP is the most popular operating system in the world, with 62&#37; of market share (or something like 700 million computers; across all versions, Windows is installed on over a billion PCs). Everyone hasn't left it behind, so it's no surprise that Microsoft is still supporting those paying customers.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriKolovsky View Post
    they will stop releasing updates for xp, for ie6, and it will become even more of a security vulnerability.
    I haven't seen any update on the number of never to be plugged security holes in IE6 since IE7 was released. At that time the number of known security holes in IE6 that could only be plugged by upgrading to IE7 (since IE7 IS the security patch for them) stood at over 600 known security holes. Has the total reached 1000 yet?
    Stephen J Chapman