SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

file format for webpages

Hi, If I have a webpage designed, is there a standard format to expect ? (eg with wordprocessing theres .txt or .doc). I understand that html is fairly standard, but what about CSS or PSD etc. I wish to avoid the circumstance where I get a page thats not compatible with whoever later loads the page.

BTW, can a website be easily 'switched off', if I want to set it up but not have it active until a particular date.

Thanks in advance for any help

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A static web page is made up of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript files - all of which are plain text as well as image files in GIF, JPG, or PNG format. presumably if there are any other media files included in the page then you already have their source.

The image files are the only ones where you might request a copy of the source versions as well in either PSD or TIFF format.

A static site is most easily enabled on a particular date by simply not uploading the files to the web until that date.

For dynamic sites you might get files for a server side scripting language instead of HTML. Those too are just plain text. Depending on the script it may have an option for turning the site on and off (by substituting a closed for maint message for the site).
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are many compatible formats for the web, generally speaking languages like HTML, CSS, XML, plaintext (txt), server-side languages (as long as your host supports them) and JS (JavaScript) should work cross browser perfectly fine (SVG, VML and others may be browser dependant or need plugins). It really does depend on the browser to what is supported and served correctly through MIME types however formats like DOC and PDF will not work within the browser without a plugin to support them. Images like PNG, GIF, JPEG and BMP / TIFF (in some cases) work natively within the browser... but again it depends on the browser.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do not you learn hands-on, web design very interesting.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    master of web standards is w3 .0rg