SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dynamic graphics

How do you animate an image? What's the basic concept?
    example: http://www.intodns.com/

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a gif animation and can be made any software which support making the gif animation.

An animation is combination of frames nothing else.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Animation on the web generally comes in two formats (though there are others)...

Animated GIF's - These are GIF images which are specially layered as a series of frames (like conventional animation) which show at specific intervals, you can buy or download software which lets you produce animated GIF's by placing images in order like making a movie, the problem with GIF's are that they have very limited support for colors but they don't require a plugin so they are widely supported across pretty much every browser.

Flash - Adobe Flash is pretty much the opposite of GIF's, they allow you an extremely high level of animation, interactivity and are used for everything from animation to game creation, it's much more complicated to learn but if you want something very high specificiation (like including video) it's by far the best option even though it needs a plugin, though I should point out you do not want to use Flash for your entire website as it has accessibility issues.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a company logo would be done in gif.

Saw the other post suggesting software, but quite expensive.

Isn't there another option?

Can you tell me what made the logo in the link?

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Animated GIF's like that logo don't usually leave a mark of what product created it, the software for producing animations are all about equal in terms of functionality, personally I like ULEAD GIF Animator (but that is just me), Flash is quite expensive yes but unfortunately it is the only way you can do really intensive multimedia which is gauranteed to reach a large number of people. There is Microsoft Silverlight but it doesn't have enough of a market share to really be taken seriously (in my opinion).

Essentially you either need animated GIF software (free and cheaply available - but very limited), Flash (expensive but the only decent way to do really complex animation) or you just don't animate it. Personally I think it's distasteful to animate logo's, granted the one you mention does it subtley so it isnt as much of an issue but most animated logo's are really cheezy and pointless.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    You can make animated gifs in "Fireworks" quite easily but it's quite an expensive product unless you are using it for other things also. As Alex said you should ensure the animation is tasteful and subtle or it will ruin a page. Most times the answer is not to animate or just animate once.

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are free software options which could be used - gimp or paint.net (though you'd need another free app with it). Mostly it depends on what you're looking to do and how complex and smooth the animation needs to be. The links point to tutorials for each app explaining how to create animated gifs with the respective software apps.

Like Paul and Alex stated though, be careful with how complex and involved the animation is. The simpler, the better - and least distracting from the content on the page which should always be king.
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style
    Learn how to be ready for The Forums' Move to Discourse

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy Slackr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally agree with the above. Be very wary of animations. The page should stand by itself first and any animation of logos etc should add not ditract from the design. Animate subtlely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think for animation I mostly used Flash only but now I also use Microsoft Silver light

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you need a free GIF creator / editor, you can get Jasc Animation Shop. It became free a while ago -- you can find it somewhere on Jasc's FTP server.