User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photoshop to html without tables

Hi,

I'm trying to make a website for a friend's business, and am ok with css and html. I'm no expert, but can knock something up.

Having read around slicing I think that this might be an easier option (given that I've already designed my logo/border in CS4). Every thing I design on the site will be done in PS so I was just wondering what the draw backs were.

I'm currently following this guide on slicing without tables: http://www.blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/...into-xhtml-css

My only thought is that the content will not be searchable in google and that it might take longer to load.

I'm just thinking that I won't be able to create as good a looking website in html as I could in PS.

Thanks,

nick

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you talking about Photoshop creating the HTML for you?

If so, it is undoubtedly better to learn to slice/code the layout by hand using HTML/CSS.

Google will see this content just fine. It is debatable if it is better for the SE's but one would have to assume that less markup for the SE to search through to get to the content will help.

Load time mostly depends on graphics and how well they are optimized for the web.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not only will it not be indexed by any search engine, it will not be readable by anyone using anything other than screen, tv, or projection, and will be very hard for those on mobile devices.
    Your site will also fail pretty much every accessibility guideline out there.

Can you provide us with an image of what you want to end up with? I'm sure it can be made pretty close to your concept using html, css and a few images.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BPartch View Post
    Are you talking about Photoshop creating the HTML for you?

If so, it is undoubtedly better to learn to slice/code the layout by hand using HTML/CSS.

Google will see this content just fine. It is debatable if it is better for the SE's but one would have to assume that less markup for the SE to search through to get to the content will help.

Load time mostly depends on graphics and how well they are optimized for the web.
    yes - that is what I'm after. but I'm not sure if the link I provided in the OP is what you've described or whether its just one large image that is unsearchable by google

Quote Originally Posted by james_littler View Post
    Not only will it not be indexed by any search engine, it will not be readable by anyone using anything other than screen, tv, or projection, and will be very hard for those on mobile devices.
    Your site will also fail pretty much every accessibility guideline out there.

Can you provide us with an image of what you want to end up with? I'm sure it can be made pretty close to your concept using html, css and a few images.
    i'm about to go to work right now, and tbh I haven't got the entire page designed in PS yet - but thanks for the accesibility advice. It would be very helpful if you could skim the link I gave and just see which route the author is taking me down. I don't want to blindly follow a guide down the wrong path!!!!

cheers,

nick

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The article author is explaining the slicing/coding HTML/CSS method.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool, thanks alot BPartch.

I do have one other slightly related question... I'm currently moving my banner over to my background (which is 1680x1024) and it looks tiny. I'm not entirely sure how to position it exactly where I want it in photoshop.

The above page talks about accomodating screens down to 1024x768 (which doesn't seem enough) and so he draws two vertical lines representing 960px width in the centre of the document (so about 40px borders). I could do this with the rectangle tool by fixing the width, but I'm not sure how to state the width between two drawn lines.

Nick