SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Maintaining correct page display.

Right now I'm using a 800x600 cool-slick chromeless (http://www.dhtmlshock.com/window-scr...ss/default.asp) window to ensure my page displays correctly, because no resize is allowed.

What other ways can I ensure my web page looks the same when viewed in 800x600 and higher resolutions? Do I make a site where extra BG or white space is added to the left and right of the page if the screen res is higher, or do I allow the webpage to stretch with the browser window?

What are your suggestions, tips, and techniques?

Cosmic.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please don't use that window script; stuff like that is really annoying and counters everything that good Web design is about.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to mention that most of them don't work if you have pop-ups disabled. Whether to use a fixed or stretchy page depends on the elements in your page. Also, sometimes you can use fixed for the content and stretch the header part so it gives the impression of filling the page. It all depends on the individual design.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want your page to look the same on matter what, create it as a 800x600 gif or jpg and use an image map to provide links. You are on a losing mission if you want your page to look the same everywhere - HTML is not about controlling presentation (that's more of a job for CSS), it is about presenting information in a way that can be interpreted by devices in the most appropriate way. Even CSS can only provide recommendations that the browsers / client is free to ignore.

I think I'm turning into a zealot

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow But ...

I use a splash page like http://www.microbians.com/ so when they click on the link, it opens a new window.

Do pop-up killers kill something like this? It's not an auto-page load pop-up.

Second, are you telling me microbians.com is "bad web design"? I like chromeless windows and I think people enjoy the crisp look of such windows.

I have taken your personal opinion to mind and I would like to know how you go about creating header fillers and tables (?) that expand around the content.

How would I create a page with the content streched to the browsers edge (no horizontal scrolling) but would have equal white space to the left and right of my content on higher resolutions?

Is it just one table with three columns or three tables?

I hope you could understand this long winded message with many many questions asked, please help where you can.

Thanks again,
    Cosmic.

Alt+F4= User Control ;-) rabmurdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put margins on the page so your content sits in the middle of the screen...

ie.

<body leftMargin=15 rightMargin=15 topMargin=15 bottomMargin=15>

If there is an easier or better way no doubt one of the experts will correct me
    "If something is too hard,give it up. The moral my boy is too never try anything"
    "Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand"

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Different pop-up killers work in different ways. With Mozilla I can get your pop-up page because you have to click a link to get it. Some people do the same basic thing, but as an unrequested pop-up. I don't get those at all on Mozilla. With some other browsers your new window would just open in an ordinary tab. On the whole, I much prefer a site to load in the original window unless there's a compelling reason why it shouldn't.

If you're using tables all you have to do is center the table with the content to get equal amounts of white space on either side. I haven't ventured into divs for layout yet, but I assume something similar would work with those.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:.:

What would the code look like then? And would the tables strech out? I want everything to stay the same size, and just have white space (background) added to the right and left of my page at higher res.

Cosmic.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might look something like this:

<table width="750" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" align="center">
    <tr>
    <td>content of your page</td>
    </tr>
    </table>

How many rows and columns would depend on how you'd want things laid out, of course. You can also make entirely separate tables for headers and footers, of the same width and aligned the same way, to speed up load time. It's probably even better to use CSS if the layout is very simple, but someone who's done it will have to post that code. I'm still using tables for layout.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: But ...

Originally posted by CosmicCatalyst
    I like chromeless windows and I think people enjoy the crisp look of such windows.
    Jakob Nielsen says that, "Opening up new browser windows is like a vacuum cleaner sales person who starts a visit by emptying an ash tray on the customer's carpet. Don't pollute my screen with any more windows, thanks (particularly since current operating systems have miserable window management). If I want a new window, I will open it myself!"

Read more about opening new windows here.

Originally posted by CosmicCatalyst
    How would I create a page with the content streched to the browsers edge (no horizontal scrolling) but would have equal white space to the left and right of my content on higher resolutions?
    Well, you're going to have to pick some base resolution to make the compromise you're trying to make here. The dilemma:
    • If you use a percentage, the page will fill the width, but there wouldn't be any whitespace at higher resolutions
    • If you use an absolute pixel-based measurement, the page will fill the width at the designated resolution and then be centered in higher resolutions

The decision I finally made for my site was to design it at a fixed width for 640x480 people, and then center it at anything higher. I could've used percentage sizing, but that would allow the content columns to get too wide, which was something I wanted to avoid.

And now the decision is up to you!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow :.:

Your page is very simplistic and clean, very nice.

I'll take a look at your source code (I'm pretty sure I know how to add extra space to the sides) and put it to work for my sites.

Microbians.com is good stuff. Please check it!

Laterz,
    Cosmic.