SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What happened to Osama Bin Laden?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • He's alive and well, planning another attack.

31 60.78%
  • He's alive but planning on hiding for the rest of his life.

8 15.69%
  • He's held captive somewhere under strict confidentiality.

3 5.88%
  • He's dead.

9 17.65%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb >> What happened to Osama Bin Laden? <<

What do you think happened to Osama Bin Laden?

AFTER you vote, read below:

I think he was killed somewhere in a hideout when our country (US) was busy bombing all the caves. They never found him and he's somewhere underground, dead, never to be found or seen again.

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weird, cos I was wondering the same thing earlier. The allied Nations were bombing the area he was thought to be in, but now its all gone quiet.

I agree, with you Geiger on your theory, but a niggling feeling makes me also think he planned this well in advance and is safe and sound somewhere unknown.

Even thinking about it gives me the shivers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe he is dead.

I also believe the FBI knows...and is just holding back the info.

Houston, Tejas; Future Capital of the World
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the ompanies I am with is involved in the sale of devices very much needed in today's terrorism/WMD climate (FYI: our main product is a equipment kit that can detect whether or not a powder sample contains a bacterial or microbial presence).

As a result of this company, we get to meet with many agencies and companies involved in the defense, hazmat, and intelligence communities. One of the companies we met has a large International , shall we say, 'Presence' and is partly comprised of what is commonly referred to as a 'think-tank' (read into it what you may). While have extensive meetings with them on our products and services, and some future plans, we learned that they believe that Osama is dead. They have two theories of how he died: 1) He died in the bombing/fighting or 2) he was killed by his own people early on to try and mitigate the situation. Either way, they believe he is dead.

They also discussed future terrorism plots in AMerica and they are of the opinion that two likely methods are:
    1) Private/corporate airplane actions to mimick what happened on 9/11. Private and corporate airfields have very little, if any, security and a private jet for a company like Exxon, Phillip Morris, or Ford can be as large as the jets used on 9/11. With these they would also have more time to fill the plane's passenger compartment with additional explosives or even toxins, biological chemicals/materials, or hazardous waste.
    2) Cruise Ships. Gaining control of one of these bohemoths gives them a ready supply of hostages (thousands of passengers and crew), a ready explosive fuel (tens of thousands of gallons), room for further material as above (can you think how easy it would be to put a nuke on a ship), and ready access to many prime targets. Can you imagine what damage a ship like this exploding in Norfolk or Peral Harbour (our major naval bases), NY or San Francisco Harbors (main trade ports), or even Valdez Alaska (major end of the Alaskan Pipe Line) could do?
    Brian Poirier
    SunStockPhoto: Stock Photos, Fine Art Photos, Event Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's alive but planning on hiding for the rest of his life.
    Yes that.

But I think other terrorist will try to do the same as he once did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be anywhere

he was killed by his own people early on to try and mitigate the situation. Either way, they believe he is dead.
    I doubt that, after all, don't you think it would have been better for them to hand over Bin Laden to the US and collect the 50 million? (dead or alive, isn't it?)
    Thomas Oeser - Blueprint Software
    Web Scripting Editor v 5.2 One cool Web editing tool.
    3dcomputergraphics.com Coming Soon!

Houston, Tejas; Future Capital of the World
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Could be anywhere

Originally posted by ThomasAesir

I doubt that, after all, don't you think it would have been better for them to hand over Bin Laden to the US and collect the 50 million? (dead or alive, isn't it?)
    Money is not really a problem for them, they have plenty. Bur Osama is a liability and a tyrant. Sharing the power has never been his strong point.
    Brian Poirier
    SunStockPhoto: Stock Photos, Fine Art Photos, Event Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question I'm not so sure about Osama's role

Ok, Osama is guilty but was he really the main architect of 911 or just a guy who said "kill all American's" every day. Wasn't he seen as a spiritual leader to his terrorists?

Either way, anyone that advocates the destruction of another people should be put on trial. What America needs is anti-hate laws like Germany has. In Germany organization like the KKK are banned and America would be wise to adopt them. Let's not forget that America has its own terrorists to worry about (McVeigh's Oklahoma Bombing & others).

While were at it, it wouldn't hurt America, or Australia for that matter, to ratify the International Criminal Court.
    Last edited by ThomasAesir; Jun 9, 2002 at 22:07.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to turn this thread into a debate. But before making statements like that you need to remember that the US is built upon the Constitution. Banning groups such as the KKK are against the Constitution. We do allow any group to protest because of freedom of speech. Any violent acts, however, are not tollerated.

I am not really familliar with the International Criminal Court, but if my assumptions are correct that court does not adopt our set of laws and constitutional rights which our country is based on. Because of that, I doubt we can adopt such a court.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by geiger
    I don't want to turn this thread into a debate. But before making statements like that you need to remember that the US is built upon the Constitution. Banning groups such as the KKK are against the Constitution. We do allow any group to protest because of freedom of speech. Any violent acts, however, are not tollerated.

I am not really familliar with the International Criminal Court, but if my assumptions are correct that court does not adopt our set of laws and constitutional rights which our country is based on. Because of that, I doubt we can adopt such a court.
    There is an international court, the judicial organ of the U.N., the ICJ . The U.S. , though, doesn't recognize it for obvious reason.

Geiger, how can an International court be based on the "constitutional rights" that the U.S. is based on? The concept of a world court involves taking into account the will of all nations, something the U.S. will never buy into.

As for OBL, I find it hard to believe that he was killed in the carpet bombing that was the "war" in Afghanistan, to say so is only to further justify the waste a lives and resources that was, and is, the "war" on terrorism.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

International Criminal Court

The International Criminal Court will begin operations next year, in The Hague. More than 60 nations, including all EU countries I think, have already signed the treaty.

The Clinton administration did sign something but the Bush administration reversed that decision. I'm sure that America will eventually sign but just not under a Bush administration. As far as my own country (Australia) is concerned, I don't know why they are dragging their feet.

geiger, Germany also has freedom of speech but if you encite hate towards another people/race then you'll go to jail.
    Last edited by ThomasAesir; Jun 10, 2002 at 03:15.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would really like to believe he is dead and rotting in some cave in Afghanistan but there is no proof that he has been killed.

I think he probably is alive and moves undergound in Pakistan or neighboring countries harbored by "terrorist" sympathizers. I believe he will try to incite or order others to commit terrorist acts as long as he is alive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistani government officially declared Osama Bin Laden to be dead in last December. His No. 2 and No. 3, one them is dead and the other one was capture in Faisalabad (Pakistan).

You should also be able to notice that each time they show videos of Osama Bin Laden, he appears to be a different man.
    TinyPlanet.org
    Discuss and Debate World Events, Politics and Religion.
    Interact and Share your Views with People around the Globe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah...

The first time he looked like Bill Clinton and the second he looked like my mother...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ThomasAesir,

What America needs is anti-hate laws like Germany has.
    Just to set the record straight, the US has any number of hate-crime laws at both the federal and state levels.

There is always debate about whether they are needed or effective because they overlap so many existing laws. I have thought the term "hate crime" was inappropriate. Doesn't anyone who commits a crime hate someone or something?

You are free to think, love, hate what you want in a free country. You can hate gays, people of certain races, men, women, lawyers, whoever, but you can't commit a crime against them or anyone else. As dispicable as the KKK is, they have the right to hate whomever they wish as long as they don't act on that hatred by committing a crime.

Alt+F4= User Control ;-) rabmurdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If memory serves me right was Bin Laden not seen alive and well in Jordan recently?

The videos we have seen from Bin Laden are of poor quality and make it very hard for the untrained to decipher, but to say it is a different person each time is a little far fetched.
    You may just be wishful thinking there.

What I want to know is, what happened to all the intelligence that the UK A& US had on him, I distinctly remember Donald Rumpsfeld saying if Bin Laden went to the toilet then we (uk/us) would know about it.
    "If something is too hard,give it up. The moral my boy is too never try anything"
    "Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Rumpsfeld just meant that we're watching over his area. If there is any signs of life somewhere in the middle of nowhere, they'd check it. Like any signs of heat or anything.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Rumpsfeld"?

A typo or a freudian slip?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wouldn't suprise me if he was taken out by a sniper or bombing just days later and it's being played out for some crazy reasoning. I find it incredibly hard to believe that the most wanted man can really hide out this long with so much technology and people looking for him. It's also the most known face in the world by my guess.

Seems not too many are going to have a problem with the body bags coming home and innocents being bombed so long as it's in the name of freedom or stopping terrorism. Why not shoot for World Peace and a cure for cancer while we're at it.
    Everything has been figured out, except how to live. - Jean-Paul Sartre (1905-1980)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Donald Rumsfeld

Have you ever noticed that Donald Rumsfeld looks and talks a lot like Robert Culp? Or is it the other way around?

Ahhhhh now I have that tune in head "Belive it or not, I'm walking on air. . . "

SitePoint Enthusiast BuriedAlive's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's living in an FBI or CIA safehouse and being well pampered for being the scapegoat that allowed the Bush administration to reinstate all of the Military funding that the Clinton Administration had removed.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's made the ultimate sacrifice for his cause. He had a sex change and is now a woman. No wonder we can't find him!

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by allie
    You are free to think, love, hate what you want in a free country. You can hate gays, people of certain races, men, women, lawyers, whoever, but you can't commit a crime against them or anyone else. As dispicable as the KKK is, they have the right to hate whomever they wish as long as they don't act on that hatred by committing a crime.
    It is true they should be free to hate whomever they want, but they should not be allowed to spread that hate. There's the difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Shin Ma
    It is true they should be free to hate whomever they want, but they should not be allowed to spread that hate. There's the difference.
    Sorry, but I'm with Allie on this one.

Hate is merely a way of thinking.

You should have no more right to ban to the spreading of hateful thoughts (and words) than we have to ban a benevolent thought.

If one section of society intrinsically and fundamentally hated another, then that hate should be tolerated as long as it remains a passive opinion.

The moment *action* is taken as a result of that hate (or any other mental state) that has the intentions of phyiscally intruding on someone elses life and wellbeing or oppressing someone else, then *that* is the point at which we should be permitted to act.

Acting any sooner is tantemount to thought and opinion policing.

It is up to a rational society to digest *all* opinions that are freely presented to it and make up their own minds what is right and what is wrong.

It ishould be up to 'the good' to make sure that their argument is more convincing.

Even the wrong should have the right to be 'heard'.
    Last edited by Bill Posters; Jun 16, 2002 at 10:20.
    New Plastic Arts: Visual Communication | DesignateOnline

Mate went to NY and all he got me was this lousy signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm I think i've said this before
    If it is true that he spent 10 years planning sept 11th, do you honestly think he wouldnt have anticipated and expected the US response?
    If the guy really did manage to pull it off, then he's hiding somewhere, and I have 2 locations in mind
    1. France - gut instinct - dunno why.
    2. the USA - prolly in some backwater middle of nowhere ranch.

Simple Reasoning

If he is dead in Afghanistan, he didnt anticipate or expect the US attack, and thus couldnt be clever enough to have planned sept 11th, and is just a conveniant scapegoat.
    If he did anticipate it, he isnt dead.

If a shark is after a seal, do you know what it does?
    It hides behind the shark, so it cant find it, and eventually the shark gives up.

I think the same applies here.
    In a world where the human mind
    can be programmed like a computer,
    at what point does the human soul end
    and the cybernetic machinery begin?