SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why use include and stf files.

Hey,

I have a general question about developing PHP websites. I have currently been updating a website which i did not create. It was part of my job to alter slight areas etc..

I realised that the website did not have pages with full HTML and PHP, it had "MANY" include files. For example I will show you one of the pages below:-

PHP Code:
    <?

require "Site.class.php";

$site = new Site();

$site->setDesc("The online social networking site for the fashion and apparel industry across the UK, join us at one of our monthly business networking evenings, parties, press evenings and master classes. Subscribe now as a full member to make the most out of your profile");

$site->setKeywords("Fashion Network, The Fashion Network, Manchester Fashion, London Fashion, Fashion London, Fashion in Manchester, Fashion in London, England, Manchester, London, Fashion, Fashion Events, Retail Recruitment, Fashion Recruitment, Shopping Guide, Fashion Directory, Galleries, Model Agencies, Model Directory, Fashion Photography, Photography Directory, Fashion Blogs, Fashion Podcasts, Fashion Seminars, Retail Seminars, Trend Master Classes, Trends Forecasting, Fashion PR, Fashion Events, Networking, Business Networking");

$site->getHeader('home'$site->sitename);

/* include city specific homepage */  

include "index-".$site->location.".stf";

$site->getFooter();
    ?>
    Why is it necessary to have $site->getFooter(); and include "index-".$site->location.".stf"; when you can simply have all the code on one page?

Can some one give a detailed answer please because i have been advised that i need to start developing my websites the same way.. I dont even know what the $site-> stands for, can somebody please help..?

Regards

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $site is an instance of the class Site().

The reason you split things up is because it is way easier to edit single files and have it change everything that includes that certain file.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Cups's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A good place to start would be to look closely at Site.class.php

It seems to feature public properties like $site->location, which suggests it is either written in PHP4 or is not using best practices if it is written in PHP5.

It should ideally be using accessors like $site->getLocation().

Either way it may not be the best class to learn from

Good place:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.oop5.php

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

Thanks guys. Well i have been writing PHP and have never split files up..

How do i know if i am writing in PHP4 or 5? I use MS Expression Web as i have been taught that when studying, dont really like Dreamweaver..

Regards

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Unlike the client side layers where each layer uses a different language

HTML - content layer
    CSS - appearance layer
    JavaScript - behaviour layer

several of the server side layers share the same language (and so some people jumble them into one rather than making them separate layers so as to make it easier to maintain.

PHP - page template layer
    PHP - business rules layer
    PHP and mySQL - data layer

Depending on the complexity of the site you can end up with five or six layers on the server side of things but for most sites those three should be sufficient.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Cups's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You need to do
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    phpinfo
    () ;
    ?>
    to see what version you are running.

PHP4 code is largely compatable with PHP5, but OOP code, such as you are talking about in your original post had many changes between 4 and 5.

I gave you a link for PHP5 OOP there is also a PHP4 OOP page if you really want to grok the diffs.

The 2 biggest ways to tell if your old class you have there is written for PHP5 is if it contains a method (function) named __construct() , or if you see the some property declarations starting with the words public, protected or private.

Those are good indicators its written in PHP5.

If you see a method called the same name as the class, and you see the word "var" before property declarations you are probably safe to say it was written in/for PHP4.

BUT both style will continue to work in PHP5.