User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Designing wordpress-powered blog

Morning all,
    I've just recently discovered WP after a few years of building bespoke cms's for clients. It's very powerful indeed and works fantastically well.

A client has a site (examplesite .com), which obviously has it's own design. If the client wants to add a blog to that site (examplesite . com/blog) then I can just install WP into a /blog folder.

However, I would obviously want that blog to look like the rest of the site using it's own css and page layout. Is this a very difficult thing to do - I get the idea of themes, but would not know where to start developing my own, if that's what I would need to do in this case?

Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instead of developing a theme of your own, it is good to modify the existing one. You search for the clean theme and then edit the theme files and CSS according to your design. There are a few files to edit for header, footer, sidebars, main content, page, search, etc.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why to build new theme. just search on the internet, download and modify it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Essentially, all a theme is is a "loop", and it's remarkably simple. All you need to do is put the loop where you want the content will be, and everything else will just fall into place.

However, where it gets tricky is with sidebars, headers & footers, but even then if you've got experience building bespoke CMS', you will have NO problem building a Wordpress CMS.

Have a look at http://codex.wordpress.org/Main_Page - furthermore, you'll need the following functions to look up

wp_header()

wp_footer()

wp_sidebar() (may want dynamic sidebars, so look up info on that).

Also look up the loop article, which will teach you loads. It may take a bit of time to learn it to begin with. But I can now convert a non-wordpress layout into a working wordpress layout in about 2-3 hours. So it's easy when you know how
    I'm Rhys Wynne & I blog at Winwar Media
    WP Email Capture: Free Email/Ebook Marketing Wordpress Plugin
    UK Based SEO? Tweet Your Location to #ukseohere!
    | My Brand New Brand | Twitter |

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to switch to Joomla then you can get all themes and extensions at joomla organizations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ruskin012
    If you want to switch to Joomla then you can get all themes and extensions at joomla organizations.
    He wants to start the wordpress powered blog, not CMS. Joomla can not work as CMS. WordPress has higher number of free themes and plugins available then Joomla.