SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A records and email mailboxes

I was just wondering if someone registers a domain say www.domain.com, they use it for a while. they have their mx records set up and mailboxes.

now if they want to change hosting i.e. to me, so I will host there website. Will changing the A record to point to my server have any affect with the mailserver?

in theory I assume nothing will change with there emails and the mailserver associated with the domain will run without issues during the A record change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, if you just change the A records, it won't affect the mail server(MX records.)

One thing to take care, MX records require Fully qualified domain name as the record answer, then if you are using mail.domain.com in the MX record. Then you must not change the A record of "mail" otherwise it will stop the working of emails.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thx for your help.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    be careful if your hosting account and email server are provided by the same company and if you cancel your web hosting account your current hosting company will likely suspend the email account as well. So even though changing the A record to point to another IP (offered by the new hosting company) has no impact on the email handling, if your current provider discontinue your email hosting...then you will be in trouble.

Regards,
    Marco Rinaudo
    Internet.bs Corp.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the usernames don't match, you'll need a "catchall" address to snag the different ones.

And use the Email Server Alias field to continue accepting email for the old domain name (make sure the MX record for the old domain still points to the IP used by the new domain. Or change the MX record to point to the new mail server domain name.)