SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What would you do with $10,000,000?

Let's say you won the lottery.

$10,000,000 USD to be exact. Enough to make you rich, but not so rich that you can afford to not think about what you want to buy.

What would you do with the money?

I'll start:
    • Incubate new business ideas coming out of the local colleges' business/entrepreneurial programs with small ($xx,xxx) investments, just enough for them to spend a year finding out if their ideas really work
    • Send $1,000 a week to each of my close relatives for a year or two. Rather than a lump sum that might be wasted on a new car and stereo system or other frivolous things, enough that they don't have to worry about paying the bills for long enough to figure out if they want to take their lives in a new direction. Enough time to get training for a new skill, start a new business, try a new job, etc.
    • An all-electric car for me

SitePoint Enthusiast RachWilson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, $10,000,000 would be a good start but I'd want to set myself and my kids up for life, give back in some way and still have a luxurious lifestyle

Sooo, $5,000,000 would be invested straight away in property, shares and viable businesses I'd need a nice house, my BMW M3 (cos I can!) and a new wardrobe with lots of shoes (yes, I am a girlie girl!) :P A family holiday is a must before investing into my own business ideas and then spending my old full time work day, doing something else I'm super passionate about while changing the world!

Oh and because I've invested wisely, the ongoing income from that that gets reinvested for the most part to provide financial security for my kids and will fund a similar grant system for people who want to move from their day job to their own business That coupled with a support system to help them, I'd fund that too

And ongoing spoilings for my friends and family because it's something I like to do... so watch out for that 1st class ticket to Miami in your letter box, it means I've organised something really extravagant Oh to dream big dreams Thanks for this thread!!

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd put it in the bank (so to speak) and carry on with my day to day affairs, spending some as needed to live life.

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a pretty humble person, so I'd continue to work for my daily bread regardless. I'd probably spend a bit more time on writing a novel in my language.

I'd support my family here who could use it (most of them are extremely wealthy and hardly need any support from me). I'd also support some distant relatives in Africa, since I have 50% West African blood in me.

I'd buy the best electric, turbo wheelchair that money can buy for my mother.

The rest I'd save for my future children.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^Keep the half and spend the rest (donate some to charities, help the community, start a new business and have a good time)

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I probably have a different view to most.

I'd first give £1m each to my 5 closest friends.

I'd give enough to my mum so that she could get her dream home built, and to my dad enough to get him out of debt and mortgage and renovate his house.

I'd then keep the rest and spend as much of it as possible on leisure, making sure I have no more than £500,000 18 months after winning. I'd then go to university - frequent partying and not having to worry about money.

Then I'd leave uni a few years later with enough to get myself a modest home and get a good job doing what I want ( something that involves theoretical physics - I think I'd like to lecture ), then continue with my life, earning my keep like everyone else.

I used to think that I'd prefer to invest it and save it for the future, but that's not what I want to do at all. I'd much rather have a fantastic time now and live a more normal life in the future. The whole point of this is that winning the lottery just wouldn't be the same as earning it. Winning the lottery is pure luck of gambling such a petty amount in return for alot of money, so I'd like to spread that luck with the people I know and have a good time!
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would buy a nice new black BMW M5, a nice house here on washington lake, a small yacht, new tvs, computers, etc....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to own a cruise ship. Can $10,000,000 get me one? :P
    hoang harry tran [harrytran.com]
    get RICH quick by going to my site. rich in useless knowledge

recently redesigned the site, witness its greatness

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The newest cruise ships that Carnival and other big lines have built cost between half a billion and a billion dollars to construct, so I think you'll have to win quite a few lotteries to have one all to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing - I'd see the world. With money like that you could go a long way, particularly as I'm a youth hostel/travel slowly & help out kinda guy. I'd volunteer my services to people who'd need it. Some kind of disaster relief in Thailand.

I'd then come back and help run the local wrestling firm I'm a member of. It's hard work, very rewarding (both entertaining the public and seeing people develop), but hard work. Also, it's one of those things I'd do not really to make a profit, more because it's the right thing to do.

I'd also learn lanugages, cook and get into some sort of shape.

I do like the "drip feed" idea so I'd do that to my parents & brothers. Just enough for them to take the strain off their existance.
    I'm Rhys Wynne & I blog at Winwar Media
    WP Email Capture: Free Email/Ebook Marketing Wordpress Plugin
    UK Based SEO? Tweet Your Location to #ukseohere!
    | My Brand New Brand | Twitter |

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I had $10M (roughly £5M) in the bank I would probably invest the majority of it or save it up in some form of high interest accounts and use it to put myself through university to study any and every subject that I have a remote interest in.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    RachWilson, I am supprised... a lady with 10 million dollars and you didn't mention shoes!

If it were me with the money I would probably go on a spending spree on computer gadgets and dedicate the rest of my life to spreading my time between open source projects, this place and I would buy membership to the W3C so I could get involved at a more technical level at the web's development... giving away your money can be a good thing but I would enjoy to give my time as well, especially when it comes to the web.

Then again if SitePoint wants to employ me internationally I could spend all day in SP (in one way or another) all the time anyway!

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ironically I know someone who won $10 000 000 dollars in the lottery in the last year.

They gave money to their kids, paid off their debts, took a vacation to Hawaii and invested the rest.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    RachWilson, I am supprised... a lady with 10 million dollars and you didn't mention shoes!
    Quote Originally Posted by RachWilson View Post
    and a new wardrobe with lots of shoes (yes, I am a girlie girl!) :P
    Indeed she did.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How did I miss that! What is it with women and shoes, unless their some kind of squid creatures when men aren't looking I don't get why they need so many pairs!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Travel for a bit and get out of the Eastern time zone for once. Probably pay off my parents' houses and buy a car for each of my brothers but I wouldn't do any big spending otherwise. Then I'd buy a shack on the beach in Belize and disappear into the surf every day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    The newest cruise ships that Carnival and other big lines have built cost between half a billion and a billion dollars to construct, so I think you'll have to win quite a few lotteries to have one all to yourself.
    I did a little bit of research and saw some giant ships for sale for $10-$50 million. I don't know what kind of condition they're in though since most of them were constructed in the 60's-80's. I guess with $10mil I'll have to settle for partial ownership of an ocean liner

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    How did I miss that! What is it with women and shoes, unless their some kind of squid creatures when men aren't looking I don't get why they need so many pairs!
    Cause someone makes so many pairs.

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to win $10M and I don't know what I would do with it, but...

Probably I'd move to New Zealand, buy a house on a beach or in mountains, buy gold for half of what's left and give away the rest to the family (quite possible using Dan's idea of drip feeding), and continue doing what I do now.
    Saul

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BUY A HOUSE (for my stuff ) !

Buy land everywhere.

Travel.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still pursuing my dream to own a cruise ship. So I came up with this idea: if we got 2500 members of SitePoint to get into partial ownership by putting in $200,000; we can get 0.5 billion and put together a cruise ship. Maybe get a ship that can accommodate 3000+. Now considering not everyone would want to live on the ship, we can rent space on the ship and the investment will pay for itself in like 200 years. Let's do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm would proably buy a nice computer setup, a nice house and give some money to my Mum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm,

Pay off my debts
    Buy a Ferrari
    Buy a mansion
    Go on a vacation to Hawaii
    Put the rest in my savings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a lot of money...I'd put the half on the bank, have a time deposit or something. Then, I'd invest some on a business, pay off my debts, buy a nice home maybe a car if still possible. I'll give some to a charity too...
    sig space open...

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd buy a small holiday resort somewhere tropical and peaceful, and I'd run that while I put my feet up most days