User Tag List

Thread: Web Services

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Web Services

Hi guys I am trying to modify some classes in a system I am working in. The classes are defined in a webservice, and the only files I can find from seraching around the file system are .DLL's of the classes.

I take it these DLL's are being generated at runtime, so I need to access the actually .cs files. How are these typically stored on a webserver, it doesn't appear to be in the web filesystem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you wont be able to find the appropriate .cs files on the server. Because published website/webservices do not have .cs associated with it. They use the DLL. You can only get .cs file from the developers of that web services. Or else you can check if they have saved them on the server somewhere.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the reply. this was very informative. This is what I suspected.... Dammit why did they make such a retarded System!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So please correct me where I go wrong:

The CS files have probably been compiled at some point, and in doing so have genereated DLL's which are not being used by the ASP.

Would the .CS files need IIS to be compiled? I'm trying to find out if the .CS files even exist on the web server or not. The problem is I only have access to the webroot lol..

Why do people use this system is this more flexible, as it allows >1 server side language to use the classes....

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That DLL is what is being used by ASP.NET to serve the web service. ASP.NET, unlike alot of other web frameworks, is compiled and you can easily have web apps with just the DLLs with enough voodoo.

Chances are the .CS files (and other associated bits) are not on the server, you'll have to track down the previous development team to get at them.

Finally, are you trying to modify the service itself or modify a client application? If it is the client, you should be able to skip modifying the service entirely and focus upon the client app.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Thanks alot for the reply.

We have located the previous Dev team and are hoping to talk to them tomorrow but it seems unlikely.

I don't know precisely what you mean by service / client, but I do not want to modify the nature of the web service, only the custom classes that we are using and their methods (i guess this would be the client)

E.G Student class with methods like, updatestudentinfo()

I have managed to located the DLL's of these classes, but from what I understand DLL's aren't editable so I figured I would have to modify the .CS files and regen the DLL's. There is no trace of anything other than the the DLL's in the webserver, and the only code I have to work with, is a 5 line asp file with no includes.

Which simply goes : Server.createobject("Prospects.Display") . So as there are no includes it seems like the classes have somehow been tied to the server or are accessible from ASP using the server object.