SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Refresh the Whole Page with Frames

Hi, I have three frames on my main page. The heading frame, menu frame and the frame for my php pages. The login page is set to the third frame, if the user successfully login then, I have to refresh
    Code:
    echo "<meta http-equiv='refresh' content='0;URL=index.php'>";
    the whole page, the index.php will display on the the third frame. Anyone who can help me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    think you'll have to add some javascript to the meta tags "content".
    have a look at http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum21/12369.htm. It might help you a bit further.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't take this as a criticism but why are you using frames and on top of that META refresh? both frames and META refresh are pretty much considered crimes against web design and the usability and accessibility implications that go along with them could potentially damage your visitors and your search engine ranking.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr AlanDawson,
    Can you pls explain what you mean with your comment. I am searching for approach/structure for my new site. I have worked with frames before which was realy nice and managable in changeing the content of the menu. In the current version of the site i did not work with frames because I was unable to make the menu frame refresch the mainframe.
    What I wish to do is realy simple - I know...but how do I make it?
    /Sara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This isn't really a PHP related question..
    :-)

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b99_nna View Post
    Mr AlanDawson,
    Can you pls explain what you mean with your comment. I am searching for approach/structure for my new site. I have worked with frames before which was realy nice and managable in changeing the content of the menu. In the current version of the site i did not work with frames because I was unable to make the menu frame refresch the mainframe.
    What I wish to do is realy simple - I know...but how do I make it?
    /Sara
    Firstly, my name is Alex, not Alan.

And what I meant with my comment is very simple the W3C (the people who created HTML) have made it abundantly clear that frames and META refreshes should not be used anymore. They have been deprecated because of the fact they violate accessibility, they are generally poorly implemented and forcing a user to refresh the page is like pouring salt on a wound, you really are damaging the user experience.

In summary, don't use frames and never try to force people to refresh pages, otherwise they will leave your website and never return.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all - sorry Alex. I just got a son and his name in Alan - my brain is probably thinking of him all the time

Secontly - thanks for replying. I will take your advice and try to master "templates in Dreamweaver" instead.

Kindly Sara