SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to hide my ip address

My wiresless connection problem sloved and now I have the information as follows when I type ipconfig:

Connection-specific DNS suffix: tm.net.my
    IP address: 192.168.11.15 (pingable)
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway: 192.168.11.1 (pingable)

Is this mean that I have an fixed ip address of IP address: 192.168.11.15? Yes, I always use this IP to connect Internet, when I use the wireless access.

My question:

How can I hide this ip address from being known by my wireless supplier?

I understand that certain software, like zonealarm, can produce fake ip address, am I right?
    If yes, besides the ZoneAlarm, do you have any good software that have the same features?
    Last edited by ckchin; Jun 9, 2002 at 03:18.

Web Genius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    umm you've got 2 machines and one internet connection?

Your ISP won't know the difference because you're probably connecting through your first machine to access the net anyway which I think sort of hides the second machine

If you're using a router then it doesn't matter either because your router has an ip and so does your other machines. When you ISP see's your connection they only see the routers IP and not all your other machines....

Someone correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not sure.

Web Genius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sygate Personal Firewall Pro is what I use right now. I was using ZAP but I've found it becoming worse with every update. I find ZAP extremely slow to load up and just bulky now.

I get the same features in Sygate and it's very easy to use

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rampage, i dont know about isp seeing the router's ip...but i know that if you use numerous computers on a router...your isp wont know.

How i know? Coz i have 3 pc's working behind a router.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post You can't.

There isn't anyway to hide your IP address, because the Web is two-way communication. There has to be a way for the page you requested to get back to you.

Your service provider can find out if you have more than one computer using your connection, but I doubt they would go through the trouble. Usually what they do is monitor the amount of traffic and if you hit a limit they will suspend your IP address.

A firewall can mask your IP address but won't send out a fake address for teh same reason that the information you requested won't have a way to get ack to you. What a firewall does is hide your IP address from people who are scanning or trying to connect to your computer without your permission.

Your router adds one more layer to getting to your IP, but it can still be retrieved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for replying. Since I cannot hide my IP address, can any software generate fake ip address?

For example, currently I am using my fixed ip address to connect the Internet, 192.168.11.15. Can I use certain software to generate other ip address, say 192.168.12.22, etc?

The ip address 192.168.11.15 assigned by my wireless supplier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by ckchin
    For example, currently I am using my fixed ip address to connect the Internet, 192.168.11.15. Can I use certain software to generate other ip address, say 192.168.12.22, etc?

The ip address 192.168.11.15 assigned by my wireless supplier.
    the 192.168.* ip addresses are addresses you see on your network at home. it is between your router and your computer.

as for on the net [eg the ip logged in here at the sitepoint forums], they see the ip assigned by your isp.

To hide this, you can use http proxies [works with web browsers] and use ftp proxies for ftp programs. But you are never untraceable. It only takes cooperation from a few proxy providers and the required authorities to trace you back.

hope this helped. and you can visit http://www.anonymize.net for further info.

asT.

If i may....why you wanna hide your ip?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If i may....why you wanna hide your ip?
    I need anonymity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by ckchin
    I need anonymity.
    lol...fair enough

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Free Anonymity Proxies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. How can I check whether I am already in anonymity.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ckchin
    My wiresless connection problem sloved and now I have the information as follows when I type ipconfig:

Connection-specific DNS suffix: tm.net.my
    IP address: 192.168.11.15 (pingable)
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway: 192.168.11.1 (pingable)

Is this mean that I have an fixed ip address of IP address: 192.168.11.15? Yes, I always use this IP to connect Internet, when I use the wireless access.

My question:

How can I hide this ip address from being known by my wireless supplier?

I understand that certain software, like zonealarm, can produce fake ip address, am I right?
    If yes, besides the ZoneAlarm, do you have any good software that have the same features?
    There is a way to hide your IP not only to your wireless supplier but in all your connections, there are a lot of softwares that do that i use this : http://www.themobiweb.com/en/Go-Liberty/Go-Liberty.html to hide my private information (IP, os type, browser type, etc.)

regards

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ckchin
    Is this mean that I have an fixed ip address of IP address: 192.168.11.15?
    Nope, you may have a static IP, but this is not it. As astericks said, 192.168.11.15 is an internal IP. In other words, that IP exists within your network (and thousand of others!) and can't be reached from outside. As you have found out, this address can be pinged by you and any other computer on your network, but not from outside. This is achieved through Network Address Translation (NAT). One of the advantages of NAT is that you can have several computers connected to the Internet, but they will only appear as one. This will save you from your ISP trying to charge you for having more than one computer using the Internet connection

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile ip hiding tools

There are a few different ip hiding concepts.

There is the www.anonymizer.com concept, where they give you a proxy server and the software to access it. The downside is you need to pay a yearly or monthly fee for this kind of service.

The second concept is like the one at www.hide-my-ip.com, where they use many public proxy servers from all over the world (harder to trace), and no subscription costs.

Anonymizer proxy IPs are all in the same IP block from my understanding. Many sites block the anonymizer IP range.

The third method is a CGI web-proxy service, which has many limitations. Many sites use javascript redirects, preventing this kind of anonymous browsing. Just type in on google "CGI PROXY" and you might find some sites that let you browse without giving off your real IP address.

Justin

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in the UAE, and I have tried many different programs for hiding your IP Address, but none of them work.

I have got no idea why, and also over here, the websites that provide proxies are blocked. So the only way to use proxies from those sites is to use the Google transalation. But even when I use those proxies, my public IP Address still remains the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think that you can hide your ip that is given by your isp. If you are talking about 192.168.. this is your intranet ip.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no true way to hide your identity when you connect through an Internet connection linked to your name (the ISP you pay for). Your comp connects to a router (wireless or Ethernet), the router connects to the modem, which is plugged into the wall. Your ISP won't have any standardized way of figuring out that multiple people are using the same connection, at least none that I know of, since they will just see signals entering their modem from your single router (that can have one or many computers connected to it). They might be able to deduce how many comps you have by monitoring the traffic and checking to see if they have something odd, like a person playing World of Warcraft and Quake III Arena at the same time. Otherwise, they wouldn't have a way of knowing.

To conceal your identity, the only sure way is to use a public wireless device that does not require unique usernames and passwords.

To conceal your IP, the best you'll be able to do is connecting via proxy, that is, your modem will receive info from websites through a third party server (the other site will see that server's IP, not your own). However, this is still traceable if anyone is interested enough, and your ISP will know what you are doing (although the site with which you communicate might not).

Unfortunately, free public proxies are incredibly slow and unreliable. You can try using Vidalia bundle with Tor if you're still interested. Get the FoxyProxy plugin for Firefox to make the package complete.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is one public Free IP hiding service which I liked very much. Its called secureix. You may want to check it out at google.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark000 View Post
    There is a way to hide your IP not only to your wireless supplier but in all your connections, there are a lot of softwares that do that i use this : http://www.themobiweb.com/en/Go-Liberty/Go-Liberty.html to hide my private information (IP, os type, browser type, etc.)

regards
    ya, this one is a good software. It encrypts you IP address.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can try Vidalia/tor plugin which will mask your ip address.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Proxies :duh: or you can get a vpn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also try the software : hide ip platinum.
    It will give the flexibility to change ip as countrywise too.
    Otherwise buy a vpn.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have recently purchased ghostsurfer which is supposed to be able to make you invisible online.

Must admit only just installed it and already having some dramas with mozilla. I am hoping it works to and I believe it does cloak your ip.

Anyone give me any feedback on ghostsurfer and how effective it is

Jamie

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so many ways to hide your online privacy, mos popular the tor project which creates virtual tunnel and provides anonymous web surfing on the web or software like hide my ip, hide the ip, anonymizer and the internet is still a lot of php proxy servers are not very good, but many of them provide high anonymous web surfing with easy removal tool of cookies web history & other privacy data.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you would want to surf anonymously, you could use hidemyass.com and nobody will know what's your real IP address.