SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upgrading Ruby on Mac 10.5.7?

Hi,

I'm wanting to upgrade Ruby on Mac 10.5.7, but can't find any documentation on how to do it. Also, I am pretty new to Mac's having spent a few good years with Windows.

I'm a newbie to Ruby, I did try it on Windows a few years back but gave up in frustration, but I want to have a another shot

I'm wanting to learn Ruby on a mac, perhaps even get a handle on how it does GUIs.

I was able to do the following:

Code:
    > ruby -v
    > ruby 1.8.6
    > sudo gem update
    Sudo gem update updated a few a few packages, how do I get a report on the one's it updated? ie: how can I be sure that everything is the latest version?

Questions
    ----------

1. How do I upgrade Ruby on Mac 10.5.7
    2. How do I ensure that I have the latest gem versions?

Thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi worchlyd,

See http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605391 for upgrading Ruby (if to 1.9)

Using MacPorts is also quite easy and I think and you can use it to get 1.8.7

sudo gem update will make sure you have the latest versions of gems installed. This only updates gems that have already been installed so you'll need to sudo gem install gemnames first. Use gem list for a report on the gems you have installed.

If gems you thought you'd installed aren't showing for your apps (say, you're using a different ruby install), you might need to find the right gem to do the installing and updating. Eg, which -a gem to find your different gem installations and then sudo /path/to/gem install gemname (or update).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your help.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not try python? Check what version of python you have installed by typing:

$ python

(then ctrl+D to exit)
    It really doesn't matter what version of ruby or python you have installed--unless you want the version to match a particular book you want to buy. The ruby and python versions that are currently installed will both be recent enough for a beginner. Both ruby and python are currently in a transitional phase to a newer version: 1.9.x for ruby and 3.x for python. However, both languages have a lot of third party modules that you will want to use, and it will take a while for those modules to get rewritten for the new versions. So if you want to learn the newest version, you won't have access to some functionality. On the flip side, with the newest versions you will be learning the latest and greatest core features.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good points 7stud. My learning books for ruby and python are 1.9 and 3 respectively (which is my reason for installing latest versions of each). I chose to learn the newer versions since it'll take me long enough to reach the level of proficiency I want.

On a practical level I've heard that ruby 1.9 is a good deal faster than stock 1.8. isitruby19 has a compatibility list.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ruby 1.9 *is* significantly faster.