User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blogger vs WordPress (Newbie)

It appears to me that WordPress is more popular than Blogger. I've done a little experimenting with both over a period of months. Though WordPress is renowned for its user friendliness, I'm finding the learning curve a little steep, so I'm thinking of opting for Blogger - but possibly converting to WordPress at a later date.

Anyway, I have a few beginner's questions. I could have posted them on some Google or WordPress forum, but I thought might get some more honest answers here. Also, some questions pertain to Blogger and WordPress both.

(I'm not asking anyone to answer all these questions; I'm just trying to fill in the blanks, one at a time.)

1. Is there a way to back up my posts to my computer? I don't expect Google to go extinct any time soon, but you never know. For example, suppose Google banned me for some reason. I would want to have all my posts archived on my computer.

2. Is there some way to convert or export my posts to WordPress, if I decide to change platforms?

3. Do I own the copyright to my posts, or does posting on Blogger somehow give Google ownership or partial ownership of whatever I write?

4. Managing Responses - This one will take a while to figure out, partly because I have a variety of websites, some that might be classified as for mature adults.

Blogger offers four levels of comments:

Anyone - includes Anonymous Users
    Registered Users - includes OpenID
    Users with Google Accounts
    Only members of this blog

It would appear that these levels are increasingly restrictive, from top to bottom. But I'm not sure exactly what these classifications mean.

I assume "anyone" means absolutely anyone with access to the Internet, but what do "Registered Users" and "OpenID" mean? I visited an OpenID explanation page. As I understand it, Registered Users refers to people who are registered with a variety of organizations - e.g. Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc. Rather than use three different passwords, these people can then get a single OpenID that gives them access to Google/Blogger, Facebook and Twitter. Is this correct?

"Users with Google accounts" presumably includes people registered with Blogger, GMail or any other Google service, right?

I guess, the comment notification features serve as a safety valve. I understand that I can be notified of new posts by entering a Comment Noficiation Email. By checking Comment Moderation I can review posts before they're even published. I also assume I can later delete any post I want.

So I guess I'm left with a couple questions. If I allow anonymous posting, will all the posts be marked "anonoymous," or will names or usernames be recorded for people who are registered with something or other? I'd kind of like to allow anonymous posting, but I'd hate for every post to be anonymous.

If I opt for anonymous comments, but later change it to a more restricted level, will all the anonymous comments get delted? Or will I have the option of deleting only older posts that I want to delte?

Thanks for any tips.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Yes, you can export your blogger posts
    2. yes, it is possible to import your blogger posts to wordpress. Just go to the toos menu of your wordpress

3-4. sorry, i am not sure exactly.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google can and has shut down Blogger account for reasons which you may never find out. While the chances are not high you could wake up one day and find your site shut off.

If you care about your time then you'll pick a platform where you control your own destiny it's that simple.

And yes WordPress has a learning curve, so does Online Marketing in general. At some point you have to dig in and learn or you pick a different business. That's the harsh reality. People don't like to hear that, they want the sugar coated atta boy on everything. But you don't make any money in the pretend world of attaboys.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingIQ View Post
    Google can and has shut down Blogger account for reasons which you may never find out. While the chances are not high you could wake up one day and find your site shut off.
    That's why I asked about importing Blogger posts into WordPress. I've learned that free speech on the Internet is largely a myth; speaking the truth can raise the ire of the rich and powerful, and they have ways of silencing you.

So I would like to tackled WordPress eventually. However, another problem is my web hosting account; I'm simply running out of space. So I need to generate enough money to get a bigger account before I can install some WordPress sites.

It's been a while since I played with either Blogger or WordPress, and I've just discovered that Blogger now has several new "gadgets," some of which are pretty cool. I imagine WordPress has an even bigger arsenal of toys to play with.

Thanks for the tips.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume "anyone" means absolutely anyone with access to the Internet, but what do "Registered Users" and "OpenID" mean? I visited an OpenID explanation page. As I understand it, Registered Users refers to people who are registered with a variety of organizations - e.g. Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc. Rather than use three different passwords, these people can then get a single OpenID that gives them access to Google/Blogger, Facebook and Twitter. Is this correct?

"Users with Google accounts" presumably includes people registered with Blogger, GMail or any other Google service, right?
    Registered means they need to register at your site.it is only for your site and will not be used on any site
    openid comes from sites such as technorati vox and many more and it will operated on any site which uses openid login so you wont need to register again.

SitePoint Enthusiast moneymaker1008's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Blogger, you can easily back up your blog by going to "Edit HTML" and finding the link at the top of the page. I also always write my posts in Wordpad first and save them, so I don't have to worry about anything else.

You own the copyright to your own posts IF you copyright them, which will cost you a bit. But I don't think Google makes a claim for any of your content.

And for comments, I highly suggest allowing anyone to comment and just moderating them before they're posted. There's really no reason not to. And "Anonymous" is only if someone chooses to remain anonymous.

Hope this helps!

-Danielle

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bloggers my host right now...

+I write all posts on word so as i have a speel checker and grammer checker + a saved copy.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moneymaker1008 View Post
    And for comments, I highly suggest allowing anyone to comment and just moderating them before they're posted. There's really no reason not to. And "Anonymous" is only if someone chooses to remain anonymous.
    OK, I'll probably take your advice. One question, though...

I found a setting that allows you to receive an e-mail whenever someone replies to one of your blogs. But if you want to be notified of a post that needs to be moderated/approved, you apparently have to visit your blog control center, or whatever it's called. So if you have six blogs, you'd have to check six pages every day (or several times daily) to see if there are any posts awaiting your approval - I think.

Anyway, do you know if it's possible to set it up so that you receive an e-mail notification whenever someone makes a post that needs to be approved? Or is this covered by default under the setting that approves e-mail notification of ANY comments?

Thanks.

SitePoint Enthusiast moneymaker1008's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have both comment moderation and email notifications of comments enabled, this will take care of it. You do not have to check for new comments that need to be approved, they will be emailed to you.

-Danielle

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can also use captcha image verification to get rid of spaming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well first of all, - Wordpress is way more popular than Blogger. And in my opinion it's a lot easier to install plugins themes and customize it. I set my wordpress blog up in like 5 hours. And completely free!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by QueeenZ View Post
    Wordpress is way more popular than Blogger.
    Both are well popular. But what matters is the flexibility and ease of operation.
    Even a newbie should publish the posts without any html or php language. In this aspect, I would go with wordpress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Innovayshun View Post
    So I guess I'm left with a couple questions. If I allow anonymous posting, will all the posts be marked "anonoymous," or will names or usernames be recorded for people who are registered with something or other? I'd kind of like to allow anonymous posting, but I'd hate for every post to be anonymous.

If I opt for anonymous comments, but later change it to a more restricted level, will all the anonymous comments get delted? Or will I have the option of deleting only older posts that I want to delte?
    Hi!
    1. No harm done on letting people to be anonymous commenting your blog.
    2. I try to change them to restricted before and the comment still there.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lunaticgamers View Post
    Hi!
    2. I try to change them to restricted before and the comment still there.
    I don't understand. Are you saying that if someone makes an inappropriate comment, you restrict them, with the option of leaving their original comment on the blog?

By the way, thanks for bringing that up. Restrictions is another thing I need to read up on. If a poster gets out of line, I assume there's some way of restricting him from posting again, based on his IP or something like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!
    Have you open your blog already?
    You can try to add comment yourself using anonymous to your blog 1st.
    Try to change who can comments in your blogger comment setting.
    Look at that comments of yours...

In blogger, I don't think you can ban someone IP unless you're using 3rd party comment form like js-kits.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can keep a backup of your blog posts. Just take a notepad file, and copy and paste the contents of your post in HTML format. About responses, you can allow all registered users. And about the copyright thing, there is no by default copyright on your posts. Anyone can use the material without your permission, because it is a blog post, and not your personal website.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive just started blogging and creating a website and I have opted for wordpress as i find it alot more easier to navigate in a noobies eyes. Im struggling learning everything about it, and I'm slow at the learning curve but whern i looked into blogger I found wordpress alot easier from research.
    Good luck with ur site.

SitePoint Zealot digital_shubhi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webdesignwhim View Post
    Ive just started blogging and creating a website and I have opted for wordpress as i find it alot more easier to navigate in a noobies eyes. Im struggling learning everything about it, and I'm slow at the learning curve but whern i looked into blogger I found wordpress alot easier from research.
    Good luck with ur site.
    Ya, I also feel that Wordpress is much easier than Blogger.

- Digital -

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer to use wordpress on my own domain name because it's more customizable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

I found my widgets won't work on WordPress because it blocks javascript and iframes.
    So i'm having to stick with Blogger.
    Feed Distiller Aggregating RSS feeds into topical feeds.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And yes WordPress has a learning curve, so does Online Marketing in general. At some point you have to dig in and learn or you pick a different business. That's the harsh reality. People don't like to hear that, they want the sugar coated atta boy on everything. But you don't make any money in the pretend world of attaboys.[/QUOTE]

Just how I love it...straight up and to the point.

I am a new blogger and just getting set up myself. I had several conversations with my web designer who lobbied hard for me to choose "Drupel" over Wordpress and in the end I chose Wordpress because I have heard it is so user friendly for a not techie.

Any other input on the Drupel vs. WordPress blog models?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moneymaker1008 View Post
    You own the copyright to your own posts IF you copyright them, which will cost you a bit.
    Only in the US. In the UK (and most other countries I believe) the author automatically has copyright on any of their work. No one can remove that right unless you voluntarily give it up (so be careful when agreeing to terms and conditions).

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For security reason Wordpress is the ultimate choice, while blogger goes off.
    moreover for SEO benefits wordpress is much better than blogger, they have automatic pinging service, options to increase traffic as well as networking. For sellers wordpress has the ability to sell directly from your blog.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go with wordpress.org, get your own domain, and so on. The reason is you have SO many more options with wordpress than with blogger. I made the mistake of using blogger first because the whole wordpress thing confused me. Let me tell you this..with wordpress you have not only more options are far as content plug-ins go, but you also have a far easier time implementing SEO methods.

There is an SEO plug-in for wordpress called "All in one SEO Pack" that will take your tags and make them your keywords, summarize your post automatically, and so on.

I could go on for hours and answer all of your questions but trust me...wordpress.org! PM if you need help

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya wordpress is more common than blogspot....But i guess both are efficient enough work well...