SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

itunes, multiple libraries, centralised sound files

I've asked a dozen of people already, but noone seems to know of a way to make this work... let me explain the problem...

Me and my girlfriend have a bunch of CDs, ripped into itunes, uptil now I have them on my computer and my girlfriend has them on hers. But we have a local network, so I put the files on a NAS. Now then we buy some new CDs, and I rip them to my library, they don't show up in the library of my girlfriend.

I know you can have a shared library, but since we rate and classify music totally different, the 2 library system feels best.

Does anybody know of a way to achieve this?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You're not going to want to hear this, but:

Keep the full collection on your NAS. Keep your itunes library on your computer (same for your girlfriend). Copy any music you want from your NAS to your computer and do the same for your girlfriend. Take just the best stuff; you don't need to have all the music you barely listen to (you know what I mean, album filler etc.) in your main library.

iTunes is horrible with large libraries and even worse over a network. I spent a year jumping through all kinds of hoops to have iTunes work with my ~120GB music and movie library over a network-attached drive for myself and my wife and it's just not worth it. I switched to the method above and I spend a lot less time managing my music/troubleshooting itunes library issues and more time enjoying it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, we used to work with one library all on the NAS (our library is about 100GB), and that worked alright, but only one of us could be connected to the library at the same time.