User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

computer keeps blue screening

this has been happening for MONTHS!

it was crashing hard before...the whole system would lock up. every day. several times a day. blue screen. error message the same every time.

my husband wiped the drive, and i started from scratch and STILL it blue screened.

took it to a place to fix, they ran it for 3 days and not once did it blue screen! they told me that they thought it could be the printer, that i should try keeping the printer unplugged and see if that solves it. seemed odd, but ok.

oh and i told them where the file was that had the error message, but i got the feeling they never even looked at it. and frankly, their idea of it being the printer seemed really ludicrous. but i did it and it did indeed seem to work because it didn't happen anymore. for a couple months.

well now it just started again.

this time its a shorter time...don't know if something got reset somewhere (i didn't do it) so that it instantly restarts when it crashes...and the error messages are now mini-dumps, so maybe its a smaller crash, i don't know. i'm not knowledgable on this stuff.

but here's the error message:

BCCode : 9c BCP1 : 00000004 BCP2 : 80546E70 BCP3 : B2000000
    BCP4 : 00070F0F OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 768_1

same as it was before, months ago...

and i should say that we did run memtest on it and it found no errors.

i've googled this message and found nothing of help. can't even find anywhere to show me how to read it!

HELP?

tina

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try using system restore to restore it to how it was just before it started to crash
    Community Team Advisor
    Forum Guidelines: Posting FAQ Signatures FAQ Self Promotion FAQ
    Help the Mods: What's Fluff? Report Fluff/Spam to a Moderator

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpacePhoenix View Post
    Try using system restore to restore it to how it was just before it started to crash
    this isn't a recent thing...this is something that's been going on for months...every day for months and then stopped for awhile and just restarted again. so its not from something i recently did to my computer.

but thank you!

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What OS is the comp running and what's the make and model number of the printer?
    Community Team Advisor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have purchased your pc from companies like HP or Compaq, they usually ship the pc with a factory setting restore disk. If your husband "wiped the drive" using such disk, it is likely that it did not fully format the drive and do a complete reinstall of the Operating System. The restore disk actually replaces function critical files, may erase your personal files, but leave all other structures intact. You may want to check if the restore disk comes with an option to fully format the disk instead of just restoring it to factory setting. If you pc was infected by virus for example, the restore disk will not detect and delete virus.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    tikijj, that is bad advice, you should ONLY perform a factory reset or format as a last resort. tinawoman, my recommendation would be to check all of your drivers are up-to-date, outdated or buggy drivers are the most common reason for bluescreens to occur, if you check and update any drivers which have new versions available you stand a good chance of removing the initial buggy driver from messing around with your system

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually AlexDawson, tinawoman said her husband already tried clean install. It's bad if you do it twice? I've never head of such. The reinstall or in her case the factory reset should have already overwritten all the basic components including the drivers. If it's still showing the error blue screen even after the reset, it's not a driver issue, unless of course she's added new hardware components.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tikijj View Post
    If it's still showing the error blue screen even after the reset, it's not a driver issue, unless of course she's added new hardware components.
    Unless the issue existed in the factory disk (or the drivers on the default install had a bug which is quite possible) or of course when her husband installed the drivers off the disks that came with the machine they caused an incompatibility (seeing as the hardware combination would be the same it seems pretty likely the same issue might reoccur). Drivers are well known for having bugs and blue screens of death arent exactely subtle issues which are generally associated with software.

Most blue screen triggers are down to drivers or hardware faults (RAM or graphics especially) and updating the drivers to the newest ones from the manufacturers website may address any issues which occured with the drivers shipped with the machine (either seperate driver disks or the factory default).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless the issue existed in the factory disk
    Possible but highly unlikely. But I think we are not really helping tinawoman anymore and rather we sort of hijacked this thread to have our own discussion. So I would say, yes do updates on the drivers and if it still results in blue screens, assess whether or not what your husband had done in the beginning was a clean install or a factory reset. If the driver updates don't help and the local techs could not fix the problem, the best way for an intermediate user to repair is probably a clean install. I wouldn't suggest clean install unless the husband had already done a factory reset, but since the pc is reset already, might as well spend half an hour to do a clean install to either eliminate the factory disk as the source of the problem or fix the problem.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Crazybanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    it may look like a hardware or driver issue. have you tried to look at the event viewer for more information?

you find the event viewer at the control panel -> administrative tools ->event viewer. look for errors with event id 1001 or 1002

you don't happend to have an ATI video card ?

Quote Originally Posted by SpacePhoenix
    What OS is the comp running and what's the make and model number of the printer?
    the error msg says its running windows XP with servicepack 3
    Who's to doom when the judge himself is dragged before the bar

SitePoint Enthusiast freakme619's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to do a complete full format of your hard disk and reinstall the OS. I guess the problem is on the OS section.
    I love musics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freakme619 View Post
    Try to do a complete full format of your hard disk and reinstall the OS. I guess the problem is on the OS section.
    Why on earth would you recommend a format just for the sake of it? Doctors don't cure disease by just saying "here, take this antibiotic and hopefully that will wipe out the issue"... diagnosis and repair is much better than ignorantly dishing out a "quick fix" solution without trying to work out why it is happening... as blue screens don't often go away with a format, especially if your just reinstalling the same stuff back on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean a blue screen that says your computer encounter a serious problem. If you encounter this problem please call your technical assistance.? Is that what you mean?

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP, what is the make and model of the printer?
    Community Team Advisor