SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Original Gangster silver trophy Thing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Podcast Interview of Matt Mullenweg: Questions Needed!

On an upcoming episode of the SitePoint Podcast we will be interviewing Matt Mullenweg. Matt is the founding developer of the popular open source software WordPress.

We want to open up the floor for any on air questions that will be asked to Matt during the recording. Let us know what you want us to ask Matt!

Resources:
    http://ma.tt
    http://wordpress.org

billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do yyou have coming new for wordpress
    Where did you get the idea for wordpress
    Sneak peeks/hints at new features in next wordpress?
    What's your favorite thing about wordpress
    How long did it take to build?
    Always looking for web design/development work.
    http://www.CodeFundamentals.com

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    - Why did he do it?
    - What part of creating WP was the most problematic for him
    - Ideally, how would he like the future of WP to be
    - Isn't he fed up that everybody only ask him about WP
    - Next project? or is it more...WP?
    - what'is in it for him? reputation? being famous as a cinema star? :The conferences with great food and drink (and getting paid for it)?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I'm sure you're aware WordPress is a popular choice for Content Management Systems. Did you envision users picking WordPress as the primary handler of their content? Can you see WordPress moving in this direction in the future?

Also, WordPress is almost the standard for Blogging platforms in PHP, although many other languages and frameworks are starting to gain popularity amongst developers. Could you ever see a version of WordPress being developed in any other language, such as Python, C# (ASP.NET) and Ruby in order to provide users suffering from a lacklustre choice of platforms?

You Bet Your Life...Really lerxtjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always hear WordPress is the perfect fit..."until".

When do you as the developer admit that WordPress is no longer the best product and something like Joomla or Drupal or higher end CMS is the better way to go?

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My question would be:

Wordpress is world-renouned for blogging. If you were to start another project, along the same lines as Wordpress but not to do with blogging, what would it be?

Quote Originally Posted by lerxtjr View Post
    I always hear WordPress is the perfect fit..."until".

When do you as the developer admit that WordPress is no longer the best product and something like Joomla or Drupal or higher end CMS is the better way to go?
    I'd definitely have to disagree here. Wordpress is fantastic for blogging, which is what it's for. It can also be used for other things, but Joomla and Drupal are all-round CMS systems, which seem to be on a bit of a decline recently - probably because people are starting to realise that big bloat and inefficiency cause big problems.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you should ask him why #wordpress has no ops. and also tell him that i am amazing and he should put me on the payroll

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What other projects do the wordpress team have going on (personal or otherwise) which aren't directly wordpress related (such as spin off services)?
    What made wordpress choose to use XHTML 1.0 for the DTD when it is a well known fact that properly served XHTML has limited browser support?
    Will the wordpress team be adopting any new coding standards to improve their product and what is your opinion on microformats and the semantic web?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where has been the best place you've visited?
    I'm Rhys Wynne & I blog at Winwar Media
    WP Email Capture: Free Email/Ebook Marketing Wordpress Plugin
    UK Based SEO? Tweet Your Location to #ukseohere!
    | My Brand New Brand | Twitter |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and ask him:-

"I recently moved a blog from wordpress.com to a self hosted solution. I'd like to be able to see the stats amassed by the old site in the new site. The old site had inbuilt Wordpress.com stats, and I've installed the similar plugin for the self hosted version.

Is there a way of transferring the old stats to the new site?"

Not the most useful question, but dammit the Wordpress site isn't giving me answers!

SitePoint Enthusiast wildscribe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Along with the best (open source and otherwise) personal blogging software, WordPress, I see where Matt's company, Automattic, has released two additional open source programs: BuddyPress (social networking) and BBPress (forum software).

Now I wondering if Matt has any plans to release other programs. I would especially be interested in an open source ecommerce program.

- - - Wild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divisive Cotton View Post
    Their making a film about Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg. Would you like Hollywood to make a film about you and the founding of Wordpress and, if so, what actor would you prefer to play you?
    Lol. Great question!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    What made wordpress choose to use XHTML 1.0 for the DTD when it is a well known fact that properly served XHTML has limited browser support?
    WordPress itself doesn't support XHTML over HTML at all apart from that the default themes use XHTML Transitional.

However WordPress itself does not support Strict doctypes per se as many of the features in the wysiwyg editor outputs non-strict code. So I think asking about why they're choosing to support non-strict doctypes is probably a better question to ask.

Off Topic:

Quote Originally Posted by wildscribe View Post
    Now I wondering if Matt has any plans to release other programs. I would especially be interested in an open source ecommerce program.
    WP e-Commerce from Instinct Entertainment is the most common solution for that. Instinct also have an e-commerce equivalent of WordPress.com ... http://getshopped.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great questions everyone! Keep them coming! The interview will happen this week sometime and I'll be sure to lock this thread prior to.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Actually, I would like to know about their approach to security. Would you think that it is secure as it comes, or what would he recommend for that?

Is it more secure or less secure than other blog or CMS?

What about the people writing plug-ins for WP? Does he have any suggestions so WP remains secure?

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Apart from wordpress (of course) what is his favorite social network and why.
    What does he see in the future of blogging both textual and multimedia (podcasting).

SitePoint Addict Divisive Cotton's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their making a film about Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg. Would you like Hollywood to make a film about you and the founding of Wordpress and, if so, what actor would you prefer to play you?
    Let everyday be Christmas

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Which Jazz musician is your favorite, which songs influence you the most when coding?
    2. At what point would Wordpress become too bloated (in terms of code), would you consider building a lighter version of Wordpress in that event?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooh - another question: Why the solid pink avatar?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread closed. Great questions everyone! I'll post the link to the interview once it goes live.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wanted to answer a few questions I didn't get to.

What's your favorite thing about WordPress?
    Probably the auto-save and texturize.

Why did he do it?
    In the beginning because I wanted better software for my own site, now because I feel we have a chance to really democratize publishing on the web.

What part of creating WP was the most problematic for him?
    I didn't directly create either, but the hardest were updaters, and WYSIWYG.

Isn't he fed up that everybody only ask him about WP?
    Not at all.

Next project? or is it more...WP?
    More of everything! Check out http://automattic.com/

What'is in it for him? reputation? being famous as a cinema star? :The conferences with great food and drink (and getting paid for it)?
    I get really kick-*** software for my blog.

I haven't seen something that can't be built on top of WordPress yet, see BuddyPress for an example or http://wordpress.org/showcase/ . You should use another system if you're more familiar with it, can work faster, and it has the same ease of upgrades as WordPress.

What other projects do the WordPress team have going on (personal or otherwise) which aren't directly WordPress related (such as spin off services)?
    I'm working on a new jazz quotes site. Ryan is going to start raising sheep.

What made WordPress choose to use XHTML 1.0 for the DTD when it is a well known fact that properly served XHTML has limited browser support?
    It wasn't well-understood at the time, and I always found the content type thing a bit pedantic as well. (Although WordPress.org was served as application/xhtml+xml for about 4 years, I bet one of the largest sites to do so. It was a pain keeping it valid with the forums.)

Will the WordPress team be adopting any new coding standards to improve their product and what is your opinion on microformats and the semantic web?
    I like microformats for their simplicity and transparency. I think, however, that over the next 5-10 years practical applications will still need to extract and imply their own semantics regardless of the presence of microformats or similar, if for nothing else than dealing with spam.

Is there a way of transferring the old stats to the new site?
    Sort of, contact support about it and let them know I sent you there in this thread.

Is it more secure or less secure than other blog or CMS?
    I haven't audited any other CMS' code, so I can't say for sure. What I do know about WordPress is that there have been many eyes on the code, it's used by some of the largest and high-target websites in the world, and when an issue is reported to us we respond transparently and as soon as possible.

What about the people writing plug-ins for WP? Does he have any suggestions so WP remains secure?
    Absolutely, check out this page on our Codex: http://codex.wordpress.org/Data_Validation

WordPress is world-renowned for blogging. If you were to start another project, along the same lines as WordPress but not to do with blogging, what would it be?
    Synchronization, or some sort of contextual text analysis for grammar and spell-checking. Maybe something with anti-spam again like Akismet.

Which Jazz musician is your favorite, which songs influence you the most when coding?
    Many favorites, but one of my all-time fav albums is Saxophone Colossus by Sonny Rollins.

At what point would WordPress become too bloated (in terms of code), would you consider building a lighter version of WordPress in that event?
    I would never let WordPress get to that point in the first place.

Why the solid pink avatar?
    I love pink, I think it's an underutilized color because at some point guys were told it's feminine and we shouldn't use it. I think color is the most underutilized part of most designs, including many of our own.

All: don't forget to capitalize the P in WordPress! And I write more about my day-to-day in this article:

http://ma.tt/2009/06/the-way-i-work-annotated/

Thanks to the SitePoint community for the questions, it feels nice to be back here, though I wish they would kill the pop-ups already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for answering those questions Matt! (I missed this first time round)