SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    tsfundings, next time can you put all that in one post?

lerxtjr, well your the only case of it I have ever come across so I guess either your a trend setter or just a chaos magnet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    harryzimm has just said No hyphens in the main domain is perceived as more professional.
    Of course you can do with your domain name whatever you need and if you think that domain name would be memorable - go ahead
    Good luck

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you can choose another name or hyphen also fine

SitePoint Enthusiast wildscribe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think hyphens hurt SEO at all.

In fact, I think they help. For the past 10 years, I have been building websites both with and without hypens and I have never had problems with search engine picking up sites with hypen domains.

I also think hypens make it easier to remember a site. Which domain name do you think is better?

promote-your-website.com
    or
    promoteyourwebsite.com

Interesting thread...

- - - WiLd

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, though many webmasters avoid using hyphens in domain names because visitors might get confused and enter the wrong URL. But for me, a name with hyphens are easier to read in print and can get keywords stand out to humans and search engines. So I guess it is not a bad idea esp when the the exact domain name you want is taken.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, if you do decide to select a name with hyphens, be sure to register the same without hyphens as well and redirect it to your main address.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do not worry.
    You already has taken a good domain.

Yes you must book Heavenly-Living.com also but do not care for duplicating.

You just need to spent few dollars for copyrights.
    My Websites Stone,
    Hotel, Jewelry, Hotels DIR, Web Design Websites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am older and wiser these days.

if I cant find my first choice of domain in 2 words, eg domainchoice.com
    then I will rack my brains for a suitable alternative.

I wouldn't get a hyphen anymore. They are okay for SEO but you will only bleed traffic to the non-hyphen name and end up regretting it.

My second alternative would be the CC tld, so domainchoice.co.uk

Still not great if the .com is taken and particilarly if it is an online based business but if you have a briks and mortae business which serves the local or national community then a CCtld is fine.
    BuySitesSellSites.com - Sell your website, domains, Ad Space and services for free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instead of hyphens, I would prefer prefixes or suffixes to the domain name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, Alex,newbie here want to ask u a question.cauz I think u are a kind and professional guy .
    Since I was told that, Pick a Domain Name that will be Easily Remembered. Well, the fact is the domian with hyphen is more easy to recognize by vistors, right?
    Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsfundings View Post
    harryzimm has just said No hyphens in the main domain is perceived as more professional. I wanna know where did that come from?
    There is no written law that says No hyphens is more professional. I claim it is a "perception" and perception is often reality for users.

Quote Originally Posted by 4u-domains View Post
    I wouldn't get a hyphen anymore. They are okay for SEO but you will only bleed traffic to the non-hyphen name and end up regretting it.
    IMHO that is the reality
    WebPie - Oxford and Beyond

SitePoint Enthusiast JoebeeKenobi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    Sorry to point this out but the domain extension plays no part on the SEO ranking so what you are saying is essentially co-incidence (or poor optimization on the .net website), you are perpetuating a myth as having a .com over a .net will make no difference whatsoever in organic searches.
    I agree the TLD is a moot point for SEO and being found in search engines, but I think the point here (unless I've missed it completely) is that the guy has a book which if published will gain direct traffic from readers going on to look at the website. Therefore its really about whether people will mistakenly type .com instead of .net. I think most people do recognise the difference now but then as someone already pointed out here most people that I know type what they think the url is straight into Google search now (apart from us web users who type in the address bar from habit who would get the .net or .com right anyway!) I'd go with the .net without the hyphens personally and if you are intending to promote this book online I'd go with Alex's point that it will make little difference if you optimised and prmote your site well it will gain ranking above the .com for your chosen keywords in any case.

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hyphens in domain names are hard for visitors to remember and they have a feel of being spammy.
    Says who? You mean you have difficulty in remembering them and in your opinion they are spammy. I like hyphens and would even go so far as to say I prefer them.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobyme View Post
    Says who? You mean you have difficulty in remembering them and in your opinion they are spammy. I like hyphens and would even go so far as to say I prefer them.
    I don't think there is any problem with peolple to remember the domian with hyphen, on the contrary it is more esay for them to recognize them, then to rememer them. The only problem is maybe, people are not used to do such uneconomical thing. I mean, type hyphen when they search sites.

You Bet Your Life...Really lerxtjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that the guy has a book which if published will gain direct traffic from readers going on to look at the website. Therefore its really about whether people will mistakenly type .com instead of .net.
    naa, not about the book. I didn't even do anything seo for the book other than for the exact title. My experience with .net versus .com organic seo was for a client's site that did lead gen for a certain kind of high end loan. We had about 200 pages at the time on the site of piles of long-tail search phrases but the main two-word phrase we just couldn't seem to get higher than about position 10 to 14...until we changed the whole site over to .com. Same server, same IP address. The only thing that changed was from .net to .com. I just searched for it now and still at #4. Just can't beat out those .gov's, but that's a whole other story.

As for chaos magnet or trend setter, this was a one-time scenario for me, so neither is correct. I've just chosen to stay away from .net's altogether since the experience and it's either a .com (for businesses) or .org (for non-profits I work with) period.

We don't need to beat it to death, but don't you find it's interesting how rare you ever see a .net in the top 3 positions on google searches? It's just freeking odd mannn.

SitePoint Enthusiast JoebeeKenobi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lerxtjr View Post
    naa, not about the book. I didn't even do anything seo for the book other than for the exact title. My experience with .net versus .com organic seo was for a client's site that did lead gen for a certain kind of high end loan. We had about 200 pages at the time on the site of piles of long-tail search phrases but the main two-word phrase we just couldn't seem to get higher than about position 10 to 14...until we changed the whole site over to .com. Same server, same IP address. The only thing that changed was from .net to .com..
    Ahhh got it! I had a .net domain at number 1 in (what was) MSN search for a competitive phrase for a good while which outranked some .com's, but not ranked anything like as high in Google. Be interested to hear other opinions and if anyone else has also done something similar with switching from .net to .com and finding it gives them a boost...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am just talking from my own experience after all, but I have found that a wide number of websites using hyphens feel spammy to me (and I am not the only person who feels that way), however I can say from a usability study I undertook a few years back that the majority of the participants would attempt a non-hypen entry of addresses in preference to thinking they needed to use hyphens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    however I can say from a usability study I undertook a few years back that the majority of the participants would attempt a non-hypen entry of addresses in preference to thinking they needed to use hyphens.
    As part of a focus group study to decide on a domain name for a major site, we did something similar with a group of students in 2002; they were given a list of twenty domain names and allowed to study them for ten minutes.
    After a break of fifteen minutes they were asked to write down those that they could recall. They were able to recall far more hyphenated names than they were unhyphenated.
    The conclusion reached was that this the result of the hyphenated names (or to be more precise, the spacing of words) more resembled the use of everyday speech.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As part of a focus group study to decide on a domain name for a major site, we did something similar with a group of students in 2002; they were given a list of twenty domain names and allowed to study them for ten minutes.
    After a break of fifteen minutes they were asked to write down those that they could recall. They were able to recall far more hyphenated names than they were unhyphenated.
    The conclusion reached was that this the result of the hyphenated names (or to be more precise, the spacing of words) more resembled the use of everyday speech.
    Sorry the date I gave is wrong. It should be November 2004.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Recalling from memory what they see on a piece of paper and physically finding websites on the net and having to manually retype in the addresses are entirely different, I understand where you are coming from but when people have to recall an address (long term) from something they never actually looked at in the first place (people don't tend to look at the address bar, their eyes naturally go to the canvas) they tend to assume the address... partially why people prefer .com / net / org rather than other extensions as it is the generic disposition of regular people to think one of those are being used. The same applied in my study with people that when it came to recalling addresses from what they had searched for initially (let's face it, most traffic comes from searches) they were unable to recall when hyphens has been used and naturally assumed a hyphen free address. (But as I said before, results vary on these kinds of tests depending on the factors involved)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recalling from memory what they see on a piece of paper and physically finding websites on the net and having to manually retype in the addresses are entirely different, I understand where you are coming from but when people have to recall an address (long term) from something they never actually looked at in the first place (people don't tend to look at the address bar, their eyes naturally go to the canvas) they tend to assume the address... partially why people prefer .com / net / org rather than other extensions as it is the generic disposition of regular people to think one of those are being used. The same applied in my study with people that when it came to recalling addresses from what they had searched for initially (let's face it, most traffic comes from searches) they were unable to recall when hyphens has been used and naturally assumed a hyphen free address. (But as I said before, results vary on these kinds of tests depending on the factors involved)
    Sorry, but that is a country mile away from the actual study results.

The study found that co.uk was the preferred extension based on perceived trustworthiness and ease of memory (remember this was a UK study).
    It also found that co.uk was the default followed by .com. Interestingly; nearly all when confronted by a "Address Not Found" page would use the alternative before checking their actual spelling of the domain name.

When searching for sites like friendsreunited using a search engine 70% entered the terms friends & reunited as two separate words and when presented with a fictitious domain like Herons Beak and receiving a "Address Not Found" page automatically inserted a hyphen for the renewed search.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am just thinking that I would like to make difference in this world and if I can help other people it would be great. So a name and idea has to match...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    mobyme, what makes you think I was referring to the study you obviously were, there have been multiple studies carried out in terms of the ease of remembering website addresses, especially when TLD's have been an issue which many people have been trying to calculate for a long period of time. As for remembering website addresses, I am sure you are aware the very real difference of typing keywords into a search engine to physically typing into an address bar, the fact remains that ordinary people know enough about browsing the web that search engines will point them in the right direction where as address bars require an explicit URL.

The fact that a hyphen was automatically entered does not mean that visitors were aware of a hyphen being required, far from it, it simply means they searched for the keywords and the hyphen had to be placed in by the search engine because the user didn't place it themselves, which ironically counteracts your initial statement about the visitor knowing when to enter hyphens. Either way it doesn't really matter, you can use hyphens if you like but I personally feel they just add unrequired extra characters to the domain length and their only benefit comes into play in cases like experts exchange where misconceptions can occur.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never thought you were referring to our study; I was pointing out that your premise "Hyphens in domain names are hard for visitors to remember and they have a feel of being spammy." was not only wrong but was presented as though it was some form of fact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was only reflecting the studies I have undertaken and read (I wouldn't call the results wrong, just different), something such as feelings (and "feeling" doesn't exactly say "fact" to me) are entirely subjective so of course it will be influenced between participants, I guess there is no real answer to the problem but I still stand by what I have seen thus far, whether anyone else chooses to use that information or if they find conflicting results, that's their own decision. I know all too well that no research or psychological study can be proven factual, most research either ends up later being disproven or faults found in the origional research (not that I am saying this is the case for yours or anyone elses).

PS: I would be interested in reading about your study further, have you published it? I am always interested in checking out new findings.