SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    I was only reflecting the studies I have undertaken and read (I wouldn't call the results wrong, just different), something such as feelings (like I mentioned - and "feeling" doesn't exactly say "fact" to me...) are entirely subjective so of course it will be subjective between groups, I guess there is no real answer to the problem but I still stand by what I have seen thus far whether anyone else chooses to use that information or if they find conflicting results, that's their own decision. I know all too well that no research or psychological study can be proven factual, it's all pretty much made up of the individuals own abilities rather than anything else.
    WOW, so I see Alex are tried of discussing this issue. And to be honest, after all of discussion about this issue here, I've learnt a lot, and I think it is enough too. Besides, it is rather personal choice, but still appricaite all the valuable info here, esp those from Alex.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    queen4, I am never too tired to discuss issues! I just know that there's so much usability research being undertaken all the time you can't take anything for granted. I have read plenty of research which supports non hyphens but there is of course research which shows the opposite, I have used hyphens in domains, I just tend to think very carefully when choosing domain names before making such a decision (as would be my advice to thread readers) as hyphens are a controvercial issue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, fine, I got that , one thing more I would like to hear your opinions, that is can i apply the hyphen theory here to the same thing like numbers, underscores or so in domaim name??

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well numbers are generally considered fine (for example 43folders or 37signals) though they should only be used as numbers rather than replacements for letters (normal people don't get l33t speak), as for underscores, I would advise against them on the basis that motor impaired users may have problems typing them because it requires holding down one key while pressing another (I know assistive devices like sticky keys can help but still).

Personally I think between an underscore and a hyphen, always go hyphen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That make pretty sense, thanks Alex and appreciate that, so much to learn! I guess I have to work around the clock.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    PS: I would be interested in reading about your study further, have you published it? I am always interested in checking out new findings.
    No, unfortunately the study was a commercial undertaking on behalf of a UK client who has since been taken over by an American company who will not give permission for it to be published.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    moby,

Bummer! That would have been interesting for everyone!

Thanks for checking.

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it makes the web address easier to understand then Hyphen is the way to go!
    Join Traffic Generation Club www.tgc.taiboworld.com
    Affiliate Profits Club www.apc.taiboworld.com
    Web Profits Club www.wpc.taiboworld.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hyphen will not make any difference, search engines treat such a domain just like any other. Initially even i had this doubt, but my hyphanted sites are doing better than others. This proves it really doesnt matter.