SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Harry Patch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harry Patch

Harry Patch, the last survivor of any nationality to have fought in the first world war trenches was buried today. Soldiers from every nation that took part in the conflict gathered to show their respect and say goodbye to the old warrior. There were no military honours of any description, no weapons of any kind, just ordinary people saying goodbye to one of there own. I had the honour of meeting Harry when he was still a "Spring chicken" of 97 and could not get over what a nice genuine man he was; he literally never had an ounce of malice in his body despite what he had witnessed in his youth. In actual fact he refused to talk about his experiences at all until he was 101. A remarkable man and a fine representative of a lost generation. I don't know where he has gone but wherever it is it's going to be a better place now Harry is there, that's for sure.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he's definitely in a good place...dunno him but as what you describe, he's a good man and it's hard to meet someone that can last 101 years old and let alone a survivor of the first world war. RIP Harry...
    sig space open...

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was truly a remarkable human being, the last of the bravest to fight in WW1, yet the humblest, kindest man to grace our country. At least now he can finally rest in peace after he had served the world so well.

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no real facts on this but my Dad told me last night that are family name was Patch until the family split into (don't know why) and one added an R, so who knows I could have been related to this guy somehow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BPartch View Post
    I have no real facts on this but my Dad told me last night that are family name was Patch until the family split into (don't know why) and one added an R, so who knows I could have been related to this guy somehow.
    If you are related you have some very special blood running through your veins. I am not somebody who is easily impressed and tend to be if anything very cynical. But Harry impressed me more than anything for his pure humanity. Many people may not know that he refused to attend armistice parades because he regarded them as a farce and an insult to human intelligence. He relented in his last few years but insisted in honouring the soldiers of both sides. Like I said; a very special man.

PS. I hope you are related, it would be great to think of a relation of the "old codger" here on SP.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes he was quite a remarkable man. His passing well and truly plants WW1 into the history books now that the human link has gone.

My long deceased grandfather served in WW1, and like Harry, rarely spoke about his experiences. On the odd occasion where he did talk about it his views were pretty much the same as Harry's.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May he rest in a soft cloud

Wars are a horror, people who survive this horror are forever marked. There is a piece ripped out of them and many will become bitter and cynical. This man was truly a fine person who was able to put all of that behind him without forgetting the bad though.

I am glad you thought of him Chris and brought it to the attention of the generations who live better because of men like him
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10