SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 44 of 44
  1. #26
    SitePoint Guru silver trophy JamesColin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Jomtien, Pattaya, Thailand
    Posts
    910
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (couldn't edit my post after 20 minutes, so I copy it here)
    ---
    About the article, unfortunately, once the government begins making laws, it will always be in a breach of privacy and in favor of the music/movies majors, because they have the lobbies, it's not conspiration theory it's real. So governements in all countries progress steps by steps, each time making more laws but not in favor of privacy and shift of paradigm, no, just enforcing the old concepts supported by powerful lobbies.

    Note that I'm not angry and I'm sorry if I sound rude, you can put it on the fact that I'm not good at writing english and can't express myself any better in this language..
    Do you really need traffic? Where to? What for?
    If you really do need traffic then stop messing around!
    Advertise on my sites today: She Told Me & Best Reviewer :
    200,000+ UV / Month

  2. #27
    Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Shaun(OfTheDead)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Trinidad
    Posts
    3,746
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesColin
    Copying doesn't deprive anyone of the copied item. Copying is not stealing.
    It doesn't deprive me of the item, no. But what makes you think you should have an automatic claim to my item if you didn't pay for it ?

    So it's not like copying is equal to loss of sales, because the fact of copying for free doesn't mean I would have spent any money on the item in the first place.
    Well good then. Don't spend your money. And don't listen to my song either.


    But that fact remains that you will download my lame, boring item anyway. And so will everyone else. And where me and failsafe disagree is on what should be done about that.


    Maybe you're right that 'copy' isn't a good word. Maybe it's more like 'cheating'.

    But say I go onto your homepage; view source, 'copy' all of your code and images and articles, slap my name on it and publish as my own; I do all of that and tell me you don't feel robbed.

    Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

    Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

  3. #28
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,354
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "If someone were to clone your son and take the clone away. Is it kidnapping? I mean.. you yet have your son. No one lost anything!"

    Please note the entire thing is in quotes.

  4. #29
    SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ankh-Morpork
    Posts
    12,158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elledan View Post
    In the case of copying you are not 'taking' anything from anyone. You gain something, no one loses anything.
    You can't possibly believe that. An author, composer, photographer, programmer or whatever doesn't lose anything if everyone copies their books/songs/photos/software without paying them? Do you think that those people somehow magically survive without eating? Or do you think they're paid by the government or something?

    You may not be removing a physical object, but you are definitely taking away someone's livelihood.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elledan View Post
    The fact that it is so ridiculously easy for you to make a copy of anything only means that the reproduction costs of that item are virtually zero and thus it is quite illogical to expect to be able to make money from reproductions of your product.
    Just because it's easy doesn't make it acceptable. That's like saying that murder shouldn't be a crime, because it's so easy to point a gun to somebody and pull a trigger.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elledan View Post
    Which is why there are always products which can not be reproduced that easily, such as live concerts and performances. Yes, it means that artists have to do actual, honest-to-god work to make money. Cry me a river.
    You don't think there's a lot of honest work involved in writing and recording a hit song? That there are no expenses? Why don't you do it then? Do you believe there'd be anything but nickle-and-dime hobby musicians if you couldn't be paid for that sort of work? Do you think there'd be many books worth reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by Elledan View Post
    We do the work, they get to play a game. They pay, we get to develop more fun games. That's how the system works and as long as the customers and developers understand this it'll keep working just fine.
    But you just said that it shouldn't be a crime to copy a digital product. So how do you propose to live if your customers decide that they'd rather enjoy your games for free?

    Quote Originally Posted by Elledan View Post
    I do however not want all kind of organizations to act on 'my behalf', pursuing cases of copyright infringement, especially when it concerns regular consumers. We want people to pirate our games as well, to reach a wider audience. It's the cheapest form of advertising.
    That's entirely up to you. Anyone should have the right to give their work away for free if they want to. But they shouldn't be forced to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elledan View Post
    So even as a business owner I see absolutely no use in criminalizing copyright infringement by consumers.
    So you wouldn't mind if no-one paid you for your games, then?

    Quote Originally Posted by Elledan View Post
    Pursuing commercial copyright infringement is fine and a worthy cause, but please, don't take all decisions away from us business owners. Thanks.
    Who's taking any decisions away from you? You're allowed to place your work in the public domain. No-one is forcing you to be paid. You, on the other hand, seem to want to take all the decisions away from other business people, like authors and composers. You seem to think they shouldn't have a right to require payment for their efforts.

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesColin View Post
    Keep on repeating that copying is stealing, maybe stupid people will repeat it too like parrots and one day it will become truth?
    Why don't you answer my question then? What do you call it when someone acquires your digital products without your consent and without paying? I call it stealing.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

  5. #30
    Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,356
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo View Post
    You can't possibly believe that. An author, composer, photographer, programmer or whatever doesn't lose anything if everyone copies their books/songs/photos/software without paying them? Do you think that those people somehow magically survive without eating? Or do you think they're paid by the government or something?
    If someone makes an unauthorized copy of a digital work it is very likely they think it's too expensive, wouldn't have paid for it anyway, just wanted to check it out, or may want to buy it later when they have more money. I know I am liable (not guilty; civil offense) of copyright infringement for some of those reasons. One has to think outside the box here.

    You may not be removing a physical object, but you are definitely taking away someone's livelihood.
    Ah yes, the good old RIAA/MPAA argument. They don't seem to realize that they could pay their artists more than 10% of sales or so.


    Just because it's easy doesn't make it acceptable. That's like saying that murder shouldn't be a crime, because it's so easy to point a gun to somebody and pull a trigger.
    Nice strawman. Piracy is a victimless offense. And I'll readily admit that I'd like a perfect world too in which everyone pays for products and never makes an unauthorized copy. Unfortunately that isn't the world we live in so businesses have to adapt and deal with reality.


    You don't think there's a lot of honest work involved in writing and recording a hit song? That there are no expenses? Why don't you do it then? Do you believe there'd be anything but nickle-and-dime hobby musicians if you couldn't be paid for that sort of work? Do you think there'd be many books worth reading?
    If there's a book I really like I'll happily buy it (got a few books I bought because I want to keep reading them), both for myself and to support the author. I strongly believe in supporting the author(s), as I pointed out in my original post already (customers supporting development). All I'm saying is that old business models are failing due to reproduction costs having dropped to nearly zero. Selling CDs isn't worth it anymore. It's also why more companies are moving to digital distribution (Steam!).


    But you just said that it shouldn't be a crime to copy a digital product. So how do you propose to live if your customers decide that they'd rather enjoy your games for free?
    Copyright infringement should be a civil offense as it has always been. Commercial copyright infringement should be dealt with. Piracy is a great way to get more exposure and will happen anyway. Windows got big because everyone was pirating it in the early 90s (and still is). Halving the sales price for one Valve game made sales jump by 3,000%, overshooting the original sales numbers by a large amount, apparently the game was far more attractive at that price, and made people want to buy it instead of pirate it.

    Setting the right price is important. Making your customers happy is important. Any remaining piracy should be seen as a consequence of doing business with digital products. It's not like people can shoplift our webstore or so.


    So you wouldn't mind if no-one paid you for your games, then?
    If someone doesn't feel that one of our games isn't worth paying for, so be it. I see no point suing him or whatever just because he apparently doesn't like it enough or just is a ******* who never pays for anything and probably still lives with his mom. Just because I happen to hate (most) people doesn't meant I'm going to detonate a few nukes over major cities (example).


    Who's taking any decisions away from you? You're allowed to place your work in the public domain. No-one is forcing you to be paid. You, on the other hand, seem to want to take all the decisions away from other business people, like authors and composers. You seem to think they shouldn't have a right to require payment for their efforts.
    Now you're just twisting things around.

    If I say that my colleagues and I feel that piracy will a) always exist and b) can be beneficial to us, why should an organization like the RIAA suddenly rush in and start scaring our potential customers and possibly damaging our market share? Because that's how we would perceive it. If other companies are so frightened by piracy that they rejoice at having individuals sued for $1 million, then that's their choice. I just won't support it.


    Why don't you answer my question then? What do you call it when someone acquires your digital products without your consent and without paying? I call it stealing.
    And you'd be wrong. Both the dictionary and legal definition of 'stealing' are very different from what you have in mind, as pointed out repeatedly in this topic. I also find it highly amusing how you are trying to make a business owner like me believe in something which is of no benefit to my business let alone bottom line. I won't and never will criminalize any (potential) customers. That's not why I'm in the market of making games which are meant to be enjoyed by people.

    Why are you seemingly trying to run my company?
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

  6. #31
    I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Florida USA
    Posts
    5,774
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Atlas had truly shrugged there would be no moral decay of the kind that permits theft of intellectual and physical property. Period People would respect property without any Government enforcement and regulation because their moral base would not allow theft. They would also respect that a business man can do as he wishes with his property without any Government interference/regulation.

    Since Atlas Shrugged was introduced as a starting point, here are some quotes by Ayn Rand:

    Patents and copyrights are the legal implementation of the base of all property rights: a man’s right to the product of his mind.

    -----

    What the patent and copyright laws acknowledge is the paramount role of mental effort in the production of material values; these laws protect the mind’s contribution in its purest form: the origination of an idea. The subject of patents and copyrights is intellectual property.

    An idea as such cannot be protected until it has been given a material form. An invention has to be embodied in a physical model before it can be patented; a story has to be written or printed. But what the patent or copyright protects is not the physical object as such, but the idea which it embodies. By forbidding an unauthorized reproduction of the object, the law declares, in effect, that the physical labor of copying is not the source of the object’s value, that that value is created by the originator of the idea and may not be used without his consent; thus the law establishes the property right of a mind to that which it has brought into existence.

    It is important to note, in this connection, that a discovery cannot be patented, only an invention. A scientific or philosophical discovery, which identifies a law of nature, a principle or a fact of reality not previously known, cannot be the exclusive property of the discoverer because: (a) he did not create it, and (b) if he cares to make his discovery public, claiming it to be true, he cannot demand that men continue to pursue or practice falsehoods except by his permission. He can *copyright the book in which he presents his discovery and he *can demand that his authorship of the discovery be acknowledged, that no other man appropriate or plagiarize the credit for it—but he cannot copyright theoretical knowledge. Patents and copyrights pertain only to the practical application of knowledge, to the creation of a specific object which did not exist in nature—an object which, in the case of patents, may never have existed without its particular originator; and in the case of copyrights, would never have existed.

    The government does not “grant” a patent or copyright, in the sense of a gift, privilege, or favor; the government merely secures it—i.e., the government certifies the origination of an idea and protects its owner’s exclusive right of use and disposal.

    -----

    Since intellectual property rights cannot be exercised in perpetuity, the question of their time limit is an enormously complex issue . . . . In the case of copyrights, the most rational solution is Great Britain’s Copyright Act of 1911, which established the copyright of books, paintings, movies, etc. for the lifetime of the author and fifty years thereafter.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

  7. #32
    I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Florida USA
    Posts
    5,774
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thought came to my mind:
    Since we all are now searching the web and getting information from the web, free of any charge, just there for the taking, I am not so very concerned about thieves that might take some of my designs. There is a give and take today, I take from the information that I learn with and in a way pay back with things that people can take. I do not like it when people take my things, but I am not going to sue them. If I know about it I will ask them to please not use my material, but in minor little cases I just let it go.

    I can make new things. Now, if it is some major work, I go after them and have done so. I think the environment for copyrights has changed a bit with this new medium. The thinking of the past has to be revisited and adjusted.

    And certainly I do NOT want any interference from any Governments and their force, it always ends up a mess and a force against the ones that "need' protection.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

  8. #33
    SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ankh-Morpork
    Posts
    12,158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elledan View Post
    If someone makes an unauthorized copy of a digital work it is very likely they think it's too expensive, wouldn't have paid for it anyway, just wanted to check it out, or may want to buy it later when they have more money. I know I am liable (not guilty; civil offense) of copyright infringement for some of those reasons. One has to think outside the box here.
    Ah yes, the good old Generation Free argument. If I think something is too expensive I have a right to take it without paying for it. Wrong! If you think something is too expensive, you can do without it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elledan View Post
    Ah yes, the good old RIAA/MPAA argument. They don't seem to realize that they could pay their artists more than 10% of sales or so.
    But 10% of zero is zero. And it's up to the composer/author/photographer etc to negotiate their remuneration if they sell their copyright to someone else (like a record company).


    Quote Originally Posted by Elledan View Post
    Nice strawman. Piracy is a victimless offense.
    That lie will not become a truth no matter how many times you repeat it. Sorry.

    I've written two books. I didn't do it for the money, but I spend many hundreds of hours of hard work doing it and I think it's only fair that anyone who wishes to benefit from it pay for it. If pirates steal digital copies of those books, I get nothing. How can you say I'm not a victim here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Elledan View Post
    If I say that my colleagues and I feel that piracy will a) always exist and b) can be beneficial to us, why should an organization like the RIAA suddenly rush in and start scaring our potential customers and possibly damaging our market share?
    If you read my previous post you'll see that I said that I agree. No organisation should prevent you from giving away your work for free. If you don't want to take action against people stealing your stuff, it should be up to you. Just don't join these organisations.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elledan View Post
    And you'd be wrong. Both the dictionary and legal definition of 'stealing' are very different from what you have in mind, as pointed out repeatedly in this topic.
    You have stated that the problem is that business models aren't keeping up with the technological changes. I say that this legal oversight is because legislation isn't keeping up with technological changes. If the law doesn't include theft of digital products in their definition of theft, it's becase there were no such things as digital products when the law was written. It needs to be updated.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elledan View Post
    I also find it highly amusing how you are trying to make a business owner like me believe in something which is of no benefit to my business let alone bottom line.
    I'm not trying to make you believe anything. As I've said, repeatedly, you're free to do as you want. If you have found a way of making making money from games that people don't pay for, all the power to you. All I'm saying is that any creator should have a right to require payment for his/her products if they want to. It doesn't mean they have to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elledan View Post
    Why are you seemingly trying to run my company?


    Quote Originally Posted by Datura View Post
    Another thought came to my mind:
    Since we all are now searching the web and getting information from the web, free of any charge, just there for the taking, I am not so very concerned about thieves that might take some of my designs.
    Good for you. But that doesn't give you or anyone else the right to force me to give away my work for free.

    Just to make things very clear here: I'm not against free products in any way! I think free open-source software is a great thing, for instance. I've gladly given away my 'product' (markup and CSS knowledge) both on my blog and on this forum. I've never even had advertisements on my blog. I enjoy being able to find information for free on the Web just like anyone else and I love to share what little I know.

    But I don't think anyone should have to give away their products without compensation. Just that they should be free to make that choice, and that others should respect their choice to request payment, if that's the choice they make.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

  9. #34
    Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Shaun(OfTheDead)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Trinidad
    Posts
    3,746
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo
    Good for you. But that doesn't give you or anyone else the right to force me to give away my work for free.
    I'm pretty sure she was speaking for herself there.

    I know Datura well enough to know that she agrees that it should be the individual businessman's decision if he should or shouldn't give away something for free.

    But she's saying that for herself, she doesn't mind giving away for free seeing as she also benefits from others who give away for free.

    Sort of what you yourself said here...


    I think free open-source software is a great thing, for instance. I've gladly given away my 'product' (markup and CSS knowledge) both on my blog and on this forum.

    [...]

    I enjoy being able to find information for free on the Web just like anyone else and I love to share what little I know.
    But I don't think anyone should have to give away their products without compensation. Just that they should be free to make that choice, and that others should respect their choice to request payment, if that's the choice they make.
    Yup, exactly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elledan
    And I'll readily admit that I'd like a perfect world too in which everyone pays for products and never makes an unauthorized copy. Unfortunately that isn't the world we live in so businesses have to adapt and deal with reality.
    And this is a valid point too. It's the point I tried to make to failsafe. The fact remains that even though people should respect a producer's choice; they very likely wouldn't, and that's just how it is.

    But where I disagree with you, Elledan, and I think where AutisticCuckoo disagrees too, is that even though we can accept the fact that the world isn't always ideal neither people always fair, we shouldn't pretend that something which is wrong is actually right, just because x number of people do it.

    Is piracy wrong ? Yes.

    Have I pirated music ? Sure.

    Was it wrong for me to do so ? Yes. I know it's wrong! But I also know that for me, it doesn't make sense buying a whole $130.00 CD for one tune. If money was easier to come by for me, I'd be more good about it, but it isn't.

    I'm not going to blank out and pretend that I'm in the right. But I'm also aware of what I can do and what I can't do right now.


    why should an organization like the RIAA suddenly rush in and start scaring our potential customers and possibly damaging our market share?
    Yaah, government.

    Things like this are what I'm scared of.

    And that part of the original article about the Canadian government wanting to butt in and 'reform' the whole she-bang ?... That won't end well.

    Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

    Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

  10. #35
    I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Florida USA
    Posts
    5,774
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo View Post

    Good for you. But that doesn't give you or anyone else the right to force me to give away my work for free.

    .
    No Tommy, I would never dream of using any kind of force. I do not want interference with the right of people to make their choices. I am all with you here I am an advocate of property rights basically, I just have this little twist in my interpretation of how I approach this in the world of the net, but only because I do not want interference from any Governments and have their regulations stifle the whole wonderful new world of freedom that exists only in the virtual world.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

  11. #36
    I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Florida USA
    Posts
    5,774
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    I'm pretty sure she was speaking for herself there.

    I know Datura well enough to know that she agrees that it should be the individual businessman's decision if he should or shouldn't give away something for free.

    But she's saying that for herself, she doesn't mind giving away for free seeing as she also benefits from others who give away for free.

    Sort of what you yourself said here...





    You are right my friend I am a trader at heart, I give and I take. All on a voluntary basis. I would certainly protect major works that I have created and will create in the future. Those are my intellectual properties and shall not be pirated if I can help it
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

  12. #37
    Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Shaun(OfTheDead)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Trinidad
    Posts
    3,746
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off topic: I wonder if that Atlas Shrugged movie will really be made.

    I've discovered just mentioning the name 'Ayn Rand' can start a controversy and make eyes start nervously wandering to the floor.

    Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

    Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

  13. #38
    SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ankh-Morpork
    Posts
    12,158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    I know Datura well enough to know that she agrees that it should be the individual businessman's decision if he should or shouldn't give away something for free.
    I wasn't implying that Datura meant anything else, but I can see how it could be interpreted that way. My only excuse is that I posted that before 7am on a Sunday morning.

    The point was that there are many artists and creative people who say they don't worry about piracy. That's perfectly fine. They have a right to give away their work. But just because they accept it, doesn't mean everyone has to. As I said, I usually give away a lot for free. But for a major undertaking, such as a book, I prefer to get some compensation for all the hours I've spend on research, typing, proof-reading, illustrations, indexing, and so on. If anyone doesn't want to pay the price I'm asking, they don't have to. But then they can't have the book, either. Very simple.


    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    But where I disagree with you, Elledan, and I think where AutisticCuckoo disagrees too, is that even though we can accept the fact that the world isn't always ideal neither people always fair, we shouldn't pretend that something which is wrong is actually right, just because x number of people do it.
    Good summary!

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    I've discovered just mentioning the name 'Ayn Rand' can start a controversy and make eyes start nervously wandering to the floor.
    Fortunately enough, politics isn't allowed on SitePoint Forums, so we won't get dragged into a discussion flame war about objectivism.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

  14. #39
    I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Florida USA
    Posts
    5,774
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo View Post

    Fortunately enough, politics isn't allowed on SitePoint Forums, so we won't get dragged into a discussion flame war about objectivism.
    hahahaha, and would it ever be a war
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

  15. #40
    I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Florida USA
    Posts
    5,774
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    Off topic: I wonder if that Atlas Shrugged movie will really be made.

    I've discovered just mentioning the name 'Ayn Rand' can start a controversy and make eyes start nervously wandering to the floor.

    There is the talk right now that this movie will not be made but instead a TV series for a new cable TV channel (Much more appropriate IMO). Some investors have gotten together to see about the viability. The rights to the story that were purchased are running out in 2011.

    The thought is to have a TV channel that promotes Rand's philosophical ideas.

    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

  16. #41
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,354
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    FYI - I'm writing a blog post on the subject of copyright and I'll be using all the points mentioned in this thread - verbatim and under my name.

  17. #42
    I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Florida USA
    Posts
    5,774
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by conradical View Post
    FYI - I'm writing a blog post on the subject of copyright and I'll be using all the points mentioned in this thread - verbatim and under my name.
    You tease you
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

  18. #43
    SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ankh-Morpork
    Posts
    12,158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by conradical View Post
    FYI - I'm writing a blog post on the subject of copyright and I'll be using all the points mentioned in this thread - verbatim and under my name.
    Great! Then all the death threats from the anti-pirates will be delivered to you instead of me!

    Thanks, Conrad, you're a real chum!
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

  19. #44
    Always have a backup plan! failsafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo View Post
    Great! Then all the death threats from the anti-pirates will be delivered to you instead of me!
    Or me! but in all seriousness ... This is a question that society will be discussing for years to come, and rightly so. As this thread had a chance to play out the resulting narrative has proven to be at once compelling as it has been passionate. I'd like to comment on some of the main points.

    OPINIONS: First, my comments are a reflection of my personal views, just as all of yours reflect your own beliefs. Examples in the article were offered as a starting point for discussion and not as a vehicle to impose views on other people. Although surprised by some statements, I believe that every person has a right to their own opinions.

    GIVING AWAY WORK: Like some of the rest of you, I've given away work for various reasons. Perhaps toward a good cause or charity; to help someone learn something; in return for those who have helped me; paying it forward. The point is, that it was my choice and there were reasons to do so. I would never want that right infringed upon, nor do I wish to stop anyone else from doing so if they choose to. IMO, it should, however, be my choice if someone gets to use my work for free.

    THE CHANGING REALITIES: Today's reality, as has been pointed out by some up thread, is that unauthorized sharing of files, of all types, is not only rampant but is largely thought to be okay by many people. I guess, in the end, each person must explore their circumstances and beliefs and decide what value they place on their own work, and the work of others.

    CAN INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY BE PROTECTED? What happens, though, if other people believe differently and choose to engage in the unauthorized use of work that does not belong to them? Can anything be done to protect the intellectual property of individuals? No, I do not believe that sending jack-booted government toadies into people's living rooms to police illegal MP3 sharing is the answer. I do, however, believe that the creative community can, and in my view should, support each others' efforts to protect their work, lobby for fair copyright laws and promote public education about the integrity of respecting these values.

    As we wind down this thread I'd like to commend those who took the time to comment. I hope it's given us all some new ways of looking at the subject of intellectual property ownership issues. Vacation time is over so available time for forum talk will be less, but I'll try to look in on the copyright thread to see how the conversation continues.

    All the best.
    "We're all mad here." Cheshire Cat—Alice in Wonderland, 1865
    ________________________________________________________________

    Graphic Design • Web Development • Writing and Voice Services


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •