User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Register domain name for a client?

Hi All,

It's been a long while since a client asked, but one wants me to handle everything, including the registration of her new domain name.

What is the best way to do this? Do I do it and foot the bill year after year and pass along the charges, or is there a better system I don't know about?

How do you guys go about registering domain names for your clients?

Thanks.

-Josh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go to 1and1.com. create the first domain name. Then after that you can use your own affilitate link and for every domain name you regsiter under a new account you get like $2.50.
    or you can create one main account and register them all under one account(no affiliate money though)

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there,

OK, so if I understand correctly, in either case, it's my account and my credit card? I then just bill the client accordingly?

Thanks.

-Josh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes sir.
    1and1 is 6.99 for first year.
    Then every year after that is $8.99.
    I would however upcharge customer to say $9.99 per year for handling the domain name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Well, if you do not register domains quite often then you can also register this domain with your hosting provider.

It is suggested to register the domain with the hosting provider as it will be easier for you to manage your domains as well as the hosting package. The reason for this is the fact that if your hosting package and domain is registered with a hosting company, you won't have to contact another company which will save your time and efforts.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Carl,

Well I currently have a reseller account I use through Host Gator... How would this approach now be possible?

Thanks.

-Josh

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    JC,

First, 1&1 has too many detractors for me to trust them. Obviously, you have your own registrar do use them.

Second, I've found it a MAJOR no-no to have both hosting and registrar wrapped into one.

Finally, to your question: I use two registrars, one for .com (et al) domains and one for .nz domains. The .com registrar won't let me register different owners for each domain so they all (mine and my clients) belong to me. Yes, I do allow my clients to transfer to themselves at other registrars - that's professionalism - and have never had a problem. The .nz domain registrar allows other owners so, while I manage them under my account, they belong to the domain owner.

As suggested above, my time and credit card fees are charged to my clients in slightly increased fees.

I just saw the HostGator in your last post. That may be useful to you now but, if you EVER have a problem and need to move for any reason, some domains will be left behind due to ICANN rules - NOT a good idea! Go find a company that specializes in registrar services at a reasonable rate (Network Solutions does NOT have reasonable rates) and establish a relationship with them by moving ALL your domains there (rates are often lower with more domains).

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCary View Post
    Hey Carl,

Well I currently have a reseller account I use through Host Gator... How would this approach now be possible?

Thanks.

-Josh
    HostGator uses Enom for domain registration. What you can do is through your enom reseller account (hostgator includes this in their reseller accounts) purchase the domain for the client. (enter their name and information in the owner section) If you are going to pay for this and then bill them, enter your information in the billing section) Set if you want this to auto renew or not.
    In the future if you want them to be billed directly, edit (in your domain manager panel) the billing info to reflect their info. You can also have enom bill you or them or manage this yourself.

Hope this helped you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Josh if you have pretty large database of the customers i would recommend you do the search for the reseller account.
    In that case you will be able to earn on the domain names as well
    At least affiliate program will be fine

Twitter: @SprightlyMedia Manpasand's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO if you do not register domains regularly then you should go with Yahoo they are charging $1.99 for 1st year only, later you can move to other reliable hosting provider.

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/domains/?p=BESTDEAL

I recommend you to use your CC and billed yearly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manpasand View Post
    IMO if you do not register domains regularly then you should go with Yahoo they are charging $1.99 for 1st year only, later you can move to other reliable hosting provider.

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/domains/?p=BESTDEAL

I recommend you to use your CC and billed yearly.
    But that is the price for the first year only. I suppose you are not intersted in paying them double price next year?

Twitter: @SprightlyMedia Manpasand's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manpasand View Post
    later you can move to other reliable hosting provider.
    Already said in my post. First year you will get the discount, it is better than nothing. ;-)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Hi!
    101domain.com is a cheap domain name registration and affordable domain hosting provider with good service and customer support backup team. Web hosting plan starts from $4.95 monthly fees includes Unlimited email, Web Mail, and much more.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

I've been a customer of NameCheap for a while and wound up registering with them for the client. I will then bill client, as needed.

I was hoping there was a different approach more like a web host manager system but one not needed to be installed on my server.

In any case, this too works just fine.

-Josh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCary View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

I've been a customer of NameCheap for a while and wound up registering with them for the client. I will then bill client, as needed.

I was hoping there was a different approach more like a web host manager system but one not needed to be installed on my server.

In any case, this too works just fine.

-Josh
    Josh if you are talking about domain name reseller account I suppose there is nothing you need to have installed on your own server