User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Logos Evolving and Websites

I am not sure if this is the correct area to post something concerning logos, in the forum, but I will put it up anyway.

I have recently been looking into logos and how they have evolved. When a company has developed a logo do people normally have a time period of touching them logos up.

The logos that I have been looking into are the Michelin and the Virgin logo. I also noticed that in each case there was elements that stayed the same, and things around them changed. For instance the Michelin logo always had the Michelin man, but this man evolved into a more rounded figure, and now he almost looks over-inflated, were as the first Michelin logo looked like a spaghetti man.

Virgin on the other hand, always had the "Virgin" text, displayed in the same manner, same font, and they were always predominant in using the red colours.

All this interests me, but what is making more struggle to understand, is how does a company know when to update their logo, and an update in logo will almost inevitably be an update in website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to say when a company will change their logo. Usually if they do, they won't change much. They don't want to confuse people with the new logo but instead intrigue them.

The reason why big companies won't make big changes in their logo is because we have a picture in our head. If you think of Coca Cola, you probably think of the color red and the special font they use to write Coca Cola. I don't think they'll even change that. If they do make some changes, it would be minimal but at the same time refreshing. Look at cars, they'll change design but you'll always be able to tell which brand it is.

As far as website changes, they'll probably change the design a bit as well. Again this is for the more fresh look.

That's what I think anyway :P

Have fun!

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think your right, things only slightly evolve. Does anybody in this forum specialize in creating logo, or do you know of any other forum community that do, so I can get a better insight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a graphic section maybe that could help you.

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Company Logo is to distinguished corporate identity.this shows the aspect of a company's commercial brand and brand value.logo design is a crucial step in the development of a product or service.

company changes their logo design to reflect changes in their business model and policies otherwise they won't make changes to their business logo design.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Really, companies that care about their branding don't one day go "Let's change our logo". They are thinking bigger than that. Either the brand as a whole is outdated (sometimes the logo is the biggest part) and tired because it was created for a specific period. They are looking to refresh the brand, to make it culturally relevant or even to keep better represent their new direction or their expansion. When they are taking new direction or expanding their services and products and the existing brand, image of the company and logo, does not support the new vision as a whole then they would re-brand. In most cases the situation determines the extent of re-branding. They will either tweak their esisting brand to various levels or completely change their branding.

The logo changes are just part of that bigger process. That's why the website changes as well. So it's not like the logo determines what the website will look like. No, the website is updated just like the logo to keep up with the branding. How the company wants to be positioned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of logos change especially over time. Look at Wal-mart for example Coke Pepsi etc

It can be risky to change your logo drastically but it can also be risky not to.

I recently read a book that had a section titled the evolution of famous logs I had some of the most successful companies in the world and showed the evolution of their logos to what they are today.

Most of them started out with elaborate art work logos and evolved into simple geometric shapes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is down to the company to decide. If a company feels the logo has not represented their image as well as it could, they might hire a designer to make an alteration to it... or perhaps the company services have changed and need something new to reflect that.... no real rule, it is down to the person in charge of the company to decide what they want. Obviously if you have established a brand image over a long time and your company market has not changed much, you probably may want to keep your brand/logo recognisable.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zipperz View Post
    Most of them started out with elaborate art work logos and evolved into simple geometric shapes.
    Yep, I also noticed this. It's like everybody is simplifying. I am unsure why this is, but would it be wise for a company to start off with a simplified design, I mean look at Google.com, they never had a complicated design. I feel it was there simplicity that gave them the notice they deserved, and through that noticed they evolved their search engine algorithm to make them even more successful.

So it's not like the logo determines what the website will look like.
    I thought it was, if your logo uses specific colours, and your website reflects those colours, then a change in colour of your logo would logically knock on the website. It's all really complicated, this might be a question for the web designers.

Obviously if you have established a brand image over a long time and your company market has not changed much, you probably may want to keep your brand/logo recognisable.
    You can think of a logo like a manager/boss in a store, the face of the company. If this changes then customers automatically say, it's not the same since the manager/boss left from that company, even if procedure is exactly the same. But the truth is, that boss/manager was just a face similar to a logo. Drastically changing a logo could really break a company, even if people recognised it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sega View Post
    Yep, I also noticed this. It's like everybody is simplifying. I am unsure why this is, but would it be wise for a company to start off with a simplified design, I mean look at Google.com, they never had a complicated design.
    I think it is largely because a simple symbol will implant itself on people subconscious where elaborate art will just fade into the background of life.

I see a lot of ads in the newspapers that look like business cards and the “logo” is like 3 lines of text. It never makes an impression just fades into the rest of the page.

But a simple clean symbol stands out even if you don’t notice it your subconscious does and it becomes familiar the more it implants itself on your brain then when you are deciding which company to give money to you will probably pick the one that seems familiar,
    Why do they seem familiar? Not sure they just seem like you know them from somewhere and they have been around.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why do they seem familiar? Not sure they just seem like you know them from somewhere and they have been around.
    Your right, simpler is better. The Virgin logo was very complicated when it was first released, they had to redesign due to it's complexity. I have developed a simple logo but not too simple, the emblem will always be kept the same.

I feel the logo is a very important aspect of your company, and if you hope your company to be no1 then your logo will be the face of the company, and the face is the most important thing.

Barclaycard recently changed their logo, and it looks impressive, but I must say I think they changed it too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking about logos getting simpler after I posted this morning and have been wondering if some of it might be the times and environment.

Like in 1930 everything was more basic, buildings were square no T.V. or busy ads stuck to everything.
    Maybe back then elaborate artwork stuck out and got notice and attention in that environment?

Then as society got drowned with art and ads they just didn’t stick out and people had to revert to basic symbols.

Not sure if it is true..? I don’t know the old days it was just a thought I was having.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Then as society got drowned with art and ads they just didn’t stick out and people had to revert to basic symbols.
    I think you have a point. Where do people put logos, on busy roads, busy streets and shops areas. Having another busy icon would only merge with it's surroundings, also people get distracted with busy symbols. People don't want to think when they look at things, they want to see the symbol and know what it is. Too many objects only clutter the design and confuse people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was reading an article about changing logos to day, has a couple of the more famous logos that have been redesigned.

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work...-new-logo.html

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a logo that works, you got to be really careful when you change because people remember the logo and it can affect you or your business especially if you are starting out.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SiberianHuskey View Post
    If you have a logo that works, you got to be really careful when you change because people remember the logo and it can affect you or your business especially if you are starting out.
    I understand this, I have instructed for my logo to be vibrant in color, I feel it has been done brilliantly, the whole idea is to have the imagine in-printed in peoples minds. The logo is a very important aspect if you are starting out, but also negative drastic changes on a current logo, can affect business negatively, so we need to be careful.

I had this discussion with somebody a while back. I know 3 people who produce logos, one can do it for 50 pounds, another 500 pounds, and another for around 2,000+, but are these the same in quality? Do we really get what we pay for?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are right with what you said. As for the differences between those three people, maybe one is more passionate then the other in creating the logo. Maybe the one that changes more has some reputation and does not put that passion into creating the logo. Some people support the underdog, while others don't.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You are right with what you said. As for the differences between those three people, maybe one is more passionate then the other in creating the logo. Maybe the one that changes more has some reputation and does not put that passion into creating the logo. Some people support the underdog, while others don't.
    I think what we need to consider is out budget, for instance a person who is starting out can hardly afford 5,000 pounds in a logo. Do you understand, but then again, the chances of this noob competing against the big boys is fairly slim. I would not mind trying though. Not so much supporting the underdog, it all depends how tight people are with their budget. I am sure if we had billions of pounds to our disposal and wanted a cracking logo, we would more than happy pay 50,000 pounds for a logo.

Am I on the right lines you think?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know, what if for only 1,000 pounds I could get a better looking logo then what the bigger company with 8 people brainstorming my logo could do. A smaller company or individual you know what there about as soon as you go bigger they seem to find loopholes because they have a larger asset to cover.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't know, what if for only 1,000 pounds I could get a better looking logo then what the bigger company with 8 people brainstorming my logo could do. A smaller company or individual you know what there about as soon as you go bigger they seem to find loopholes because they have a larger asset to cover.
    Could be true, I know when I worked for a large corporate company they certainly did that. They use to produce sub-standard work, and because people paid over-the-odds of it, and because it was a large company, people somehow believed they were getting value for money. It's all about appearance.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, meanwhile the smaller guy who could produce the same quality may get shafted by some people. I think if the smaller studio or person really show they are trying and they put them-self out there, they should be given a chance. The bigger they get the more messed up there pipeline is and then politics start coming into play as well.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The bigger they get the more messed up there pipeline is and then politics start coming into play as well.
    When you say politics, what do you mean?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Politics within the company, there is always little garbage that makes some roadblocks or related to this thread, costs go up etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was reading how Apple dropped the rainbow colors and went to monochrome in 98. I was kind of wondering if that was because around that time rainbow symbols became the popular gay pride symbol.

That could put a damper on your logo if it turned into a gay pride symbol.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zipperz - Could be, the reason why. Gay is associated with rainbows, I suppose lucky charms is a gay cereal !