User Tag List

Thread: Buying Traffic?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I have started a new site and am looking to buy traffic, but I'm curious, is it worth it? If so, who would you recommend I go with? My budget is a bit more than $500. Any ideas? Or do any of you want to help me get traffic to my site?

Thanks,
    Michael Mellinger

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before you spend your money, you may want to evaluate the quality of the traffic and debate further if it's worth it to go that route. I think that your $500 is much better spent offering some sort of prize for signing up for your newsletter on a weekliy or monthly basis, or buying ad space in newsletters or sites that publish relative content. You may want to consider going to TipWorld.com or any other e-zine type site and try to bad ad space in one of their newsletters.

------------------
    Street Bikers United
    C&M Web Design

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But see, I want constant traffic, not quick little bursts of traffic. Any ideas?

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the URL, Michael? Is it your desktop themes site? I think you've got tremendous opportunities there! Let me know what the site's about and a URL if possible, please.

Mike

------------------
    Street Bikers United
    C&M Web Design

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that is my site :-) The url is http://www.free-desktop-themes.com and it's about free desktop themes. I just wish I could get a lot of hits to it.

Michael

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michael,

I've got this great traffic idea! Do you create the themes yourself? You can try to give out free themes to websites in exchange for a link. Since you're giving them a desktop theme that they will give away for free on theor site, you can require that they put a link on their index page! That should generate lots of traffic.

If you don't or can't generate them yourself, then that's a bust. There's plenty of other good ideas. Have you read the article Matt wrote about web site promotion?

------------------
    Street Bikers United
    C&M Web Design

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Michael,

I had a look at your site and I really like it. There's one thing that I think you should add to it and that's a screen shot of what the theme looks like. It's all good and well saying what it is but I think that most people would prefer to see what it looks like before they decide to download it.

Just a thought.

------------------
    Regards,
    Keith McL
    http://www.resources-webmasters.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your very kind responces. There is one problem. I don't create the themes myself But I do create screen savers myself. Think they would add my link for a screen saver?

Thanks again,
    Michael Mellinger

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That does limit what you can do. I bet that people would still give you a link if you create a screensaver for them for free. I'm willing to bet your $500 will be much better spent if you get some software that will let you create themes, though

------------------
    Street Bikers United
    C&M Web Design

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any other ideas?

Thanks,
    Michael Mellinger

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'll let you know later today. It's 6:30 am HST. I'll post again around 7:00 pm HST.

------------------
    Street Bikers United
    C&M Web Design

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You create Screen Savers?? Ok Go to the following sites and submit your screen savers : www.winfiles.com www.hotfiles.com www.downloads.com

Do a search on a couple of large search engines for "Free Software". Submit your site to as many lists as possible. Then to promote your Theme Collection you can put "suggested themes" on the page for each Screen Saver. This is similar to finding suggested wines next the different entrees in a nice restaraunt. So not only are you generating traffic to your site but your keeping them for longer periods of time while they peruse the screen savers and the themes.

Other options
    1. Including a small text file to each zipfile you host that promotes your site and invites the user to come back for more.

2. If your screen-savers are shareware create a package of all of them and give them away to one lucky winner every month. Or create some good quality shareware screensavers to put in your package. Offer your package as a prize for contests on other sites. Or purchase a nice package and give it away.

3. Get listed on Internet Freebie sites.

4. Join a few quality webrings.

5. Start your own "Desktop Weekly" newsletter. You can run articles on creating your own screensavers and themes. In the newsletter you could give recommendations on the best new screensaver or theme and provide a review on it within your site with links for downloading.

These are just a few ideas off the top of my head. I know there are people out there that collect screensavers and themes. One of those collectors is my Fiance, who not only collects these but she probably has over 500 megabytes worth of screensavers and themes on her computer. She also changes them daily.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    Internet Media Provider

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Darn! Wayne stole my tips!

------------------
    Street Bikers United
    C&M Web Design

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can use goto.com (and I'm sure others have copied them by now) to "buy" traffic. At goto.com you bid on search words. For instance amazon.com pays a bunch for the word book. So anyways figure out how much you are making from advertising. If perhaps you are making 4 cents per impression and each unique visitor generates 5 impressions. Then you can in affect pay up to 19 cents per visitor and still make money. So anyways figure this out and then go to goto.com and bid on words. Its really just all math.

Chris