User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hostgator Review

Hi

I researched hosts for well over a month at WHT and other boards with reviews of Hosts . I have PM'd peeps who have HG and many other hosts to get some feedback after reading all the horror stories of different hosts

Well so far it's positive ( 3 weeks give or take ) and very happy i went with HG.

Chat was a breeze and came up pretty fast (Maybe waited 3 minutes for my session to start ) Ben F was great(My Chat guy )

Ticket system works even tho there were minor hic-ups which were taken care of in a timely manner in my view.Not with ticket system itself but my email address was wrong and you need the correct email to view tickets.So the ticket system works but you must have the correct email you signed up with not a alias even tho it has the same IP.

HG also set up my add on domains even tho i knew how to do that ..but hey Thanks anyway

Customer service is a plus..Everyone is very nice and willing to help .The Peer support forum is nice to have also and they have HG staff there checking in on the support thread that have tickets which is another plus.

I have another BIG problem which isn't really HG's fault and sent them a ticket hoping they can help me or else I'm dead in the water with my board. If they can bail me out with this i would be very grateful .

I'm off to post this post on WHT and other sites as I'm a pleased customer

Thanks HostGator ..So far it's been a pleasure

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amy65 View Post
    Hi

I researched hosts for well over a month at WHT and other boards with reviews of Hosts . I have PM'd peeps who have HG and many other hosts to get some feedback after reading all the horror stories of different hosts

Well so far it's positive ( 3 weeks give or take ) and very happy i went with HG.

Chat was a breeze and came up pretty fast (Maybe waited 3 minutes for my session to start ) Ben F was great(My Chat guy )

Ticket system works even tho there were minor hic-ups which were taken care of in a timely manner in my view.Not with ticket system itself but my email address was wrong and you need the correct email to view tickets.So the ticket system works but you must have the correct email you signed up with not a alias even tho it has the same IP.

HG also set up my add on domains even tho i knew how to do that ..but hey Thanks anyway

Customer service is a plus..Everyone is very nice and willing to help .The Peer support forum is nice to have also and they have HG staff there checking in on the support thread that have tickets which is another plus.

I have another BIG problem which isn't really HG's fault and sent them a ticket hoping they can help me or else I'm dead in the water with my board. If they can bail me out with this i would be very grateful .

I've dealt with Hostgator on a few occasions and have always had good experiences.
    Last edited by ScallioXTX; Mar 13, 2011 at 07:16.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeap. They are bigg and they have a lot of the customers. Bad reviews about them are rare.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used them as well for smaller sites and always have had very reliable service.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice to see that you are a satisfied customer. Thanks for the review. Do update us in future.

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Amy,

Welcome to SitePoint.

I've moved your post to the Review A Host forum but hope that you'll come back in a month, 6 months and one year to keep us up to date (3 weeks is really too soon to shake out all the bugs in a system). We'll look forward to reading about it.

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dklynn View Post
    Amy,

Welcome to SitePoint.

I've moved your post to the Review A Host forum but hope that you'll come back in a month, 6 months and one year to keep us up to date (3 weeks is really too soon to shake out all the bugs in a system). We'll look forward to reading about it.

Regards,

DK

That would be intersting to read. I hope you will be with the same web hosting as you now. HG is good at least according I have read about them
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope things go well with your hosting with HG. 3 weeks are too short for any problems to arise so keep us updated.
    Honest Web Host Reviews - Check Web Hosting
    Over 1700 Web Host. Pure user reviews.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 weeks are too short for any problems to arise so keep us updated.
    3 weeks were more than enough to get an idea of obvious differences between a number of hosts I'm testing. It is a short time span to really define uptime (any host can have a bad month), but performance tends to be more or less the same as it is defined by how loaded and how well optimised the server is.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    3 weeks were more than enough to get an idea of obvious differences between a number of hosts I'm testing. It is a short time span to really define uptime (any host can have a bad month), but performance tends to be more or less the same as it is defined by how loaded and how well optimised the server is.
    It will be good if the thread starter keeps us updated on interval basis: 3 weeks, 2 months, 4 months, etc.

The reasons why I said 3 weeks is too short to determine a good host are these:

1. Uptime monitoring - you mentioned this yourself.

2. Customer Service - HG live chat session is for Level 1 support only, which covers basic troubles like adding new subdomain, adding new email accounts, etc. When it comes to more serious troubles like database corrupt, .htaccess problem, they will usually forward you to their Level 2 support, which is an email support.

3. Customer Service Response Time - The response time of email response varies widely because it depends on what region you are, how many customers need to be attended. I have been told personally by HG customer service members that the best time to receive quick response is in the morning of their local time (10am-12pm). So to accurately determine if their customer service was good, try locating them in different hour of the day, then you can tell if they were of any good. (I waited more than 4 hours for my email to be replied during odd hours, even though they claim to have 24/7 service like the other web hosts do!) That is one of the reasons why in my web host review site, I stress so much on Service Response Time and Service Effeciency. That's because everyone thought that as long as Customer Service replies, that web host provides good service. But this is utterly immature to judge web host this way.

4. Server Speed - If you are unaware how web hosts run business, especially those with 30 days money back guarantee, read this: When you are new to a web host, they will host your website in a fast server. After the money back guarantee period is over, while you are still sticking with your contract, they will move to normal/slower server for the rest of the months left in your contract. So if you were thinking that your website were on speed servers during the first 3 weeks, judge again after a month or two, then you will know what I am talking about.

I am not saying that HG is no good. But this is a response to you that claim 3 weeks is good enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you are new to a web host, they will host your website in a fast server. After the money back guarantee period is over, while you are still sticking with your contract, they will move to normal/slower server for the rest of the months left in your contract.
    That may be the case with some shady desperate hosts, but that's not the norm by any means.

1. Moving the accounts is a serious hassle, quite likely not worth the money to be done on a regular basis.

2. In the space of a month the server may naturally come under increased pressure as customers are added to it, and they move their sites to it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That may be the case with some shady desperate hosts, but that's not the norm by any means.

1. Moving the accounts is a serious hassle, quite likely not worth the money to be done on a regular basis.

2. In the space of a month the server may naturally come under increased pressure as customers are added to it, and they move their sites to it.
    This is exactly the norm, and a widely practised strategy in major web hosts.

Your 2nd point contradicts your 1st point greatly. 1st point is that web hosts don't move accounts, 2nd point is that web hosts do move accounts when the server gets packed.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amy65 View Post
    Hi

Good. But 3 weeks is still too early to say. My website initially was very fast, after 1-2 months, it became slower and slower. So keep us updated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your 2nd point contradicts your 1st point greatly. 1st point is that web hosts don't move accounts, 2nd point is that web hosts do move accounts when the server gets packed.
    You're twisting my words. Just because a server is getting loaded it doesn't mean it's not at the point where the host wants it to be. They set their own standards. If a server gets loaded there are 2 solutions: to move accounts to other servers or to suspend/terminate the top users. Generally, the second choice is more economically valid, as the top users generally use more than they're paying for anyway, so it is in the host's interest to have them leave or upgrade.

Having tried a number of hosts now, I can assure you that moving you to another, worse server, after the 30 days money back guarantee, is not happening.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love hostgator, I didn't have any single problem for 7 months now.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're twisting my words. Just because a server is getting loaded it doesn't mean it's not at the point where the host wants it to be. They set their own standards. If a server gets loaded there are 2 solutions: to move accounts to other servers or to suspend/terminate the top users. Generally, the second choice is more economically valid, as the top users generally use more than they're paying for anyway, so it is in the host's interest to have them leave or upgrade.

Having tried a number of hosts now, I can assure you that moving you to another, worse server, after the 30 days money back guarantee, is not happening.
    Having known people who run web hosting business, I can assure you that it does happen. It's one of the unethical cutting cost measures that they take. The server they move to could be of lower hardware spec, oversold with lots of accounts in. They move accounts based on the server load and connection consumption. When they see that a website is not gaining much traffic or not needing high server load, they would lum it with other similar accounts and cramp them in a server. This is not done on a case-by-case basis, but it's in their monthly or bi-weekly maintenance.

With such practice, you can tell why a web host can offer both shared hosting and dedicated server. There are different purposes for different servers in their network.

So, the 30 days money back guarantee (or even 3 weeks) doesn't really have a strong ground in judging the overall experience of the web host, because your account won't sit in the same server for the entire contract period.

End of the day, we as consumers must not be judgemental overnight. We always have a first impression on the product that we use. But over a longer period, our user experience will give a better ground on how good a product is. As I said, we always appreciate the customers of HG to come back in 3 weeks, 3 months, or even 3 years time to share with us their experience, if HG service were still as good as they had during their first 3 weeks. I hope you get what I am trying to achieve here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I said, we always appreciate the customers of HG to come back in 3 weeks, 3 months, or even 3 years time to share with us their experience
    I can most definitely agree with that. Updates are valuable, especially when experience really accumulates.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally recommend Hostgator. I've been with them now for over a month and I've had no problems and the customer support is fast and helpful.
    My Blog - Blaineblogger.com

Check Out My Most Recent Blog Post And
    Get My Perspective On How To Make Money Online

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but how do they compare with others?

At least I like their logo!
    "What do you do?"
    irs help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but how do they compare with others?
    So far, compared to some of their direct competitors, I'd say they hold their own, with very good uptime, decent website performance, very good connectivity (not really their merit I suppose, unless we consider choosing the right data center(s) a merit) and hosting environment and policies that aren't too restrictive (like say 1and1's limit on mysql database size).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hosting sites at 4 webhosts. I host with dreamhost, godaddy and now i purchased hostgator hosting because i heard good things about them.

To my surprise, while running same type of sites on all, hostgator is the worst host. Very bad load times, websites not loading, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There goes the theory that hosts place you on the good server first, and then move you to a bad one. You're unhappy from the start.

Your site hosted at HG loads fine from my end though (a couple of seconds).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using hostgator and its working awesome. I really like every bit of it cos i never faced any such issues with it. maybe one out of 100 may face such a thing. Or else, hostgator rocks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There goes the theory that hosts place you on the good server first, and then move you to a bad one. You're unhappy from the start.

Your site hosted at HG loads fine from my end though (a couple of seconds).
    Thing is a spend a lot of times on the sites hosted on hostgator. And visiting them often i observe that they have glitches, periodically they dont load for 2-3 minutes. Suddenly everything is back to normal.

It's true that when they load they load very fast. But i guess they have problems with websites eating to much resources on shared hosting (even its the most expensive pack) that kills the entire server.

For example, with godaddy, no matter any site is doing on the server, your website loads, even its loading in 1 minute, nobody can crash the entire server.