SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink How do you generate income from a humour site?

Heya everyone,

Some time ago I met an English guy here in Spain and he told me that he had a humour site and earned 300$-400$ a month with it.

I'm a beginner in Web marketing (although I'm good in design and programming). And I wanted to ask if someone could tell me how you make money on a jokes site.

Do you sell your banner space? Your links? Who would buy it???

thanks

Wit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Money from a humor site can come from:

- advertising space in newsletter
    - sold newsletter co-registrations
    - advertising links on web site
    - advertising banner on web site

Some humor sites have tried other things such as paid subscriptions, but I wouldn't recommend that at the moment.

"Who would buy it?"

You'll need a large number of subscribers to sell your newsletter ad space, but unfortunately, you may not make any money until you have a large number of subscribers. It is also important to decide upon a subscription model: opt-in, confirmed opt-in or paid.

Would I would recommend though is that you talk to other humor webmasters. They will generally want to help you get started by sharing links and content with you (not to mention hints and advice).
    Last edited by mmj; Jun 8, 2002 at 05:51.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at Joe Catroons Site as I believe it's probably one of the most successful humor sites around. It's killing me now because I know I recently read an article about just how successful they were and how they make their money...but for the life of me I can't remember where I read it!

Cheers,

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mmj
    Money from a humor site can come from:

- advertising space in newsletter
    - sold newsletter co-registrations
    - advertising links on web site
    - advertising banner on web site

Some humor sites have tried other things such as paid subscriptions, but I wouldn't recommend that at the moment.

"Who would buy it?"

You'll need a large number of subscribers to sell your newsletter ad space, but unfortunately, you may not make any money until you have a large number of subscribers. It is also important to decide upon a subscription model: opt-in, confirmed opt-in or paid.

Would I would recommend though is that you talk to other humor webmasters. They will generally want to help you get started by sharing links and content with you (not to mention hints and advice).

he told everything you need!
    Our Sites: Arcade Muffin | Viefex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool make people laugh

I'm not sure I get yer point, buddy! - what are ya tryin' t' be funny or somethin'?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think mmj summed it up for you, but I just wanted to add a little something:

Don't let anyone tell you you can't make money with a humor site!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been wondering the same thing. But what I really wonder is what kind of membership levels you need to make any serious money off a humor site (to me, serious is $2k a month or more)

I hear of all these guys that say it only takes 30 minutes a day to update, they have 20,000 subscribers, and they make $200 a month. So 10-15 hours a month for updating, another 5-10 for promotion and admin, another 10 for billing and finding new advertisers and affiliate programs, and I am up to 30-35 hours a month for $200, or about $6 an hour. And they still have to pay hosting costs. yippee !! NOT.

So what is the upside of this type of business?

I also notice that JoeCartoon only does a single popup. Maybe that is the real secret

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by galt
    I hear of all these guys that say it only takes 30 minutes a day to update, they have 20,000 subscribers, and they make $200 a month. So 10-15 hours a month for updating, another 5-10 for promotion and admin, another 10 for billing and finding new advertisers and affiliate programs, and I am up to 30-35 hours a month for $200, or about $6 an hour. And they still have to pay hosting costs. yippee !! NOT.
    My best month was last July when I made a couple thousand off one affiliate program. I had 80,000 subscribers, but that was when the economy was good. Now you'll probably make a couple thousand when you have about 200,000 opt-out (and uncleaned) subscribers.

It only took me about 30 minutes a day - total. That included promotion, checking e-mails, making a new newsletter, and updating the site. I did spend some other time reading message boards, but to me, that doesn't count.

However, I did sell my humor website (Joke University) to another individual a couple months ago so I could start on other projects.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Silverado.

1. I may have some questions for you. Would it be possible for me to call you sometime to talk for about 20 minutes?

2. Nice concept for Support Your Class. I think I have comments and suggestions for you, and will share them when we talk, or by email if we do not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Silverado.

1. I may have some questions for you. Would it be possible for me to call you sometime to talk for about 20 minutes?

2. Nice concept for Support Your Class. I think I have comments and suggestions for you, and will share them when we talk, or by email if we do not.
    Check your PM.

You wanna' peice o' me! Automated's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not too keen on the popups on the Jocartoon website but it is pretty amazing so i guess they can get away with it!!!

Matthew Taylor
    FreelanceForums.com - Do you Freelance ?
    Visit the Freelance Forums and participate in all areas of Freelance Chat

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

Actually JoeCartoon is going through some hard times thats why they made that subscription model giving you access to download there cartoons. On one of their last newsletters they quoted

"also while i have you reading, i wanted to clear up why we went with a
    subscription model for the downloads....ad revenue just is no longer
    covering our insane bandwidth bills and in order to keep the rest of the
    site up and free as well as be able to keep the doors open and joe animating
    we needed to find a new way to pay our bills, unfortunately no sponsors
    stepped up to bail us out."

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at Joe Catroons Site as I believe it's probably one of the most successful humor sites around. It's killing me now because I know I recently read an article about just how successful they were and how they make their money...but for the life of me I can't remember where I read it!

Hi Ravedesign,

I think you are refering to the article at ClickQuick. http://www.clickquick.com/articles/joecartoon.htm It's been not too long ago, they used to be raking in $100,000.00 a month. Oh the good ol times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been wondering the same thing. But what I really wonder is what kind of membership levels you need to make any serious money off a humor site (to me, serious is $2k a month or more)

So what is the upside of this type of business?

I also notice that JoeCartoon only does a single popup. Maybe that is the real secret
    I clear at least $2500 monthly from one humor site. Best month so far was April at $4200.

Bryan