User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Accessing SOAP from PHP [was Soap anyone?]

Hey again,

I am going to be building a new realty site for a client, and promised her listings would be searchable from within her site's pages rather than taking visitors to one of the many listing services sites.

So I filled out the forms, and was approved to be her authorized administrator and granted access to her listing service's database.

sounds good right, no all I need to do is write php scripts to pull from that database by opening a connection grabbing what is queried for and closing that connection...simple...
    Well not the case, you see they are using a system called soap, I have not heard of ,this before and the only info they gave me aside from access, is that I need to download the listings and images every day to be current, and all images must be hosted on her server and not called.

So does anyone have experience with "SOAP"? If so can you help me make heads or tails of the cryptic info i find in the links that I access?

I have to figure this all out in two weeks time, I never expected to have to do more than either store an updated mysql db, or access a live feed and use strings and queries to populate a page after a visitor selects their filters.<snip>

The scary part is I have not seen this referenced around any of the forums I visit that are for web masters and coders.

Your help will be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Shyflower; Aug 5, 2009 at 05:53. Reason: removed solicitation

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SOAP is a protocol used to describe web services in a more structured sense than the RESTful stuff you have probably dealt with in the past. I think current versions of PHP have a built-in SOAP client, or you can use one of a number of SOAP client libraries.

In a nutshell, these clients create a proxy object which you call from your application. Proxy object translates your requests into XML and translates the XML that comes back into objects for your app to use.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the nuts and bolts response, this is just what I needed to know.

As I am reading this, it is using objects to pull data in to an application, that being, the script being used to both retrieve this from the primary client (original source) and storing it in the site server's MySQL server db, then being displayed on a page based on the fields of a form or criteria from filters querying the db from the preset drop downs on the page.

Am I getting this right??
    So I need to verse myself on XML first, to best utilize this form of data retrieval protocol .

Your response is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on the toolkits (haven't really worked with PHP in years other than minor bug fixes in legacy apps), you probably don't even need to work with XML directly--they should wrap the data in objects you can access via PHP.

Insofar as implementation, there are lots of ways to hit it. For something like this, where there is lots of data to import and lots of functionality to recreate, it might make sense to just have your form push and pull directly from the service as opposed to importing the data locally and then running searches.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you may be right on that.
    after reviewing the previous response i am seeing everything is laid out for me and i need only change the variables, however a better understanding of how this works will allow me to better optimize for my needs, how to go about puling that data, but I WILL need to store it locally as they do not allow for a live feed type access but a daily updated database download and all images need to be hosted locally as well, as they do not allow hot linking to images either.

Thanks for the further expansion of what this is all about, the web moves at the speed of light and I can barely keep up with the speed of sound LOL!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have used the native SOAP client and server in PHP5 and found it works well. Once set up, you don't to worry about dealing with XML directly, you call methods directly from the SOAP client.

More info on the PHP website.