User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

website designer business website looking improfessional

Hi there,

I just came across this web designer from my country while doing a google search and seems abit like hes a newbie at this not to sound harsh but to sounds like hes got quiet a few clients but he also has a google adsense on his website does that seem professional at all?

Would that be a bad move on his part?

Heres link if you want to check it out http://www.medlicottdesign.orconhosting.net.nz

what kind of website has a subdomain of a hosting company if they are a proper business shouldnt they atleast have a .com or .net or even a country top level domain or am i wrong here?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,William

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should not be using the subdomain for their business website. They must have their own domain and website with no third party ads.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do I really need to say the obvious

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still better than your portfolio site

Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    still Better Than Your Portfolio Site

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    Still better than your portfolio site
    What do you mean stll better than my portfolio are you referring to me?

Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think so yes... because your portfolio site gives an error

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    william232, having a country based domain is perfectly fine but that guys website is very unprofessional, subdomains are not a good sign of a website (not to mention that domain is exceptionally long and impossible to remember - domains should be easy to remember and not some free package, businesses should own their own workspace, especially as domains and hosting is so cheap), advertising on a website you sell services is a double blow, if you are making money through design work, a professional would not be infesting their website with advertising on top of that.

His entire website is very outdated, the use of javascript, font tags, long story short... I pity his (ripped off) customers because their obviously paying someone to build them a website when the guy is an amateur at best and is using outdated skills (he is still quoting Flash as a Macromedia product for hecks sake!).

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ molona im still working on mine what kind of error does it disaply as for the thats why the main page if you see is under construction.look at it http://www.bcdesigns.info

@AlexDawson Should i contact the clients and offer a re-design of their site using best posible practises?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by william232 View Post
    @AlexDawson Should i contact the clients and offer a re-design of their site using best posible practises?
    Cold calling is a bad business practice (in my opinion), you don't want to ring them up saying "sorry your website looks ugly, want me to remake it for you?", if getting customers to get a decent made website was that easy, we wouldn't have so many people like him selling low quality goods. The people who baught the site from him obviously are unaware of what best practices are, after all they still hired him from seeing that website.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you saying leave them be and let them suffer from their not so best practises of having their website designed by some one whos an amateur?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    While it probably sounds harsh, do you really think they are going to be in favor of paying out for a new design so quickly because they essentially got scammed? They will probably be less inclined to employ you if you contact them as they will feel your the one trying to wrangle money out of them. Personally its sites like his that I would like to see some kind of professional body who only allows people membership if their websites / portfolios meet some basic standards. (And random spot checks are carried out to ensure they keept to them!), but I doubt if that would happen.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe i can tell them i can design there layout for free if thats what i takes to improve their layouts?

Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @ molona im still working on mine what kind of error does it disaply as for the thats why the main page if you see is under construction.look at it http://www.bcdesigns.info
    I look at it, but I get "Error: can't find the remote server"

Thefore, I don't see any page... not even under construction. For some reason, it is not visible.

Now, regarding contact his clients... why would you do that? I have to say that the sites he constructs for other people are so much better (compared to his). Not precisly the very best in the world, but at least, they look decent (code wise is a different story, but then, there are so many of those although with better taste)

The only reason you have to contact his clients is that he's terrible but you don't want to tell them that because that will play against you.

On the other hand, it looks to me that these clients go for the cheap option. In my experience, cheap option = cheap clients = problems. These are the type of clients that discuss every single penny and give problems to pay for any stupid reason.

I personally don't want that as a client, but suit yourself

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check out my updated link on my signature as for the clients how would you recommend contacting them or leave them be? for now?

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thoughts are: Why not spend time on your own portfolio, your own skillset, and your own clients instead of focusing on someone else's portfolio, skillset, and clients?
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    check out my updated link on my signature as for the clients how would you recommend contacting them or leave them be? for now?
    Aaaah! I see the light now

I'd say let them be and forever!

I know that these clients look like an easy target and that you may think that the sites you can build will be much better for them... but you should ask yourself what type of client you want

These sites tell me that these clients seem to like cheap, cheap, cheap... and that type of customer is always a headache, lots of work, and no profit (if any) at all.