SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I use Wordpress for a small group site?

Hello all,

My client has requested a website for his hunting/fishing camp, which has about 10 members (and will never grow much larger.) He needs only a handful of features:

1. Calendar. Must be editable by all members, to display upcoming events/meetings at the camp.
    2. Forum. Nothing fancy, but it must be accessible and usable by all the members.
    3. Photo Gallery. There is no particular format requested; he just wants to make sure that each of the members can upload photos to the site for others to see.
    4. Admin area. The client wants to be able to login as an administrator to make any necessary changes/updates/etc.

With the exception of the Photo Gallery, he wants those sections (pages) to be viewable only by members. In other words, he wants to password protect the calendar and forum.

Given those guidelines, how would you approach this project?

I thought that setting up Wordpress as a CMS for this site might be the best approach. However, I really don't understand how to do some things, and I'd greatly appreciate some guidance from those with more experience:

a. If I use a Forum plugin, am I able to sync the username/pw info so that - once someone is signed in to the site as a member - they won't have to sign in AGAIN to use the forum (or any other area)? Also, can you recommend a useful/reliable forum plugin? I installed and activated the 'Simple:Press Forum' plugin, but so far I'm not sure if it's any good.

b. Is there a calendar plugin that will allow all members to make changes/edits? I installed the 'events-calendar' plugin, but it's not clear to me if only the administrator is allowed to make edits. Also, it appears that you must login to the admin area to make those changes, which probably won't go over well (could seem like too much trouble for them since they already logged in, and probably expect to make changes more easily.)

c. How can I set it up so that all members can upload photos to the photo area?

Am I totally offbase, barking up the wrong tree, or is WP a good solution? I welcome any ideas or suggestions you have, and I would greatly appreciate hearing how some of you would approach the project from the start (so I don't get 80% done and then realize I am unable to finish the last 20%)

Thanks in advance!
    Independent Web Designer/Developer in Mandeville, LA USA
    1. JoeyReed.com
    2. Crawfish.com
    3. Pralines.com

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have little experience with setting up community websites, however I found only two forum plugins for WordPress and WP says that neither has been tested with the latest version of WordPress, so I would proceed cautiously.

I think you probably need a better solution that WordPress for your site. I would try something more like Google or Yahoo groups if you're looking for free. I also found these you might want to investigate:

Keep and Share
    Groupsite.com
    eGroup Web
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have much experience in building community websites, and had a wp blog
    is there any difference in the two?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have built such community site with SMF forum (has calendar with upcoming events) and Coppermine Photo Gallery. There is also a nice bridge to work these scripts together (users of SMF can upload pictures to CPG).
    You can take a look at it at Warszawa Powiśle.
    It's an easy way. Of course Wordpress will give you more possibilities.
    Warsaw - the city that survived its own death.
    EMM8 - Profesjonalne Strony Internetowe
    Projektowanie Stron WWW

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so i now see why people love WP
    so they are just highly customization

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm really not looking for a hosted solution, as my client wants to use his own domain and hosting.

Ugh... I thought this would be a lot easier!
    Independent Web Designer/Developer in Mandeville, LA USA
    1. JoeyReed.com
    2. Crawfish.com
    3. Pralines.com