Hi sdavis,
    I couldn't agree more.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    now I've got the exact same problem !!

SDAVIS, CSW, are you out there! did you guys ever get this fixed?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just discovered this topic runs on for three pages, I had only read the first.

will try connection again tomorrow, and hopefully will not be back anytime soon :-)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LONGNECK nailed it ! being new to all this I don't quite understand, but doing the below fixed things for me. many MANY thanks LONGNECK !!

Quote Originally Posted by longneck View Post
    instead of copying the libmysql.dll file to c:\windows, you can instead copy it to the apache\bin directory. this keeps your windows directory clean.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

I'm hoping that someone can assist me with this. I have been experiencing the same issues as sdavis and cmw. I followed the suggestions all the way up to and including moving libmysql.dll to apache/bin and the error that I receive now is:

Warning: mysqli_connect() [function.mysqli-connect]: (28000/1045): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\connect\index.php on line 2

Unable to connect to the database server.

Can anyone troubleshoot this?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi kjt4eva,
    I have a couple of suggestions
    First of all check your spelling. The past week I discovered that in a not-running file, I typed Slink in stead of an $link. This difference was very hard to notice in my editor (dreamweaver 8). I discovered my error by copying and pasting a couple of lines from the corresponding file I downloaded from the code archive on the website of the book (see page xxiv) untill the file did work.
    As for dreamweaver I made a 2-3 files with it looking exactly like the ones from the archive, but that did not run. Even when I put lines from the archive file in it.
    Beware not to run/test your file from dreamweaver. See Kevin's comments on pages 14 and 51.
    Good luck.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by longneck View Post
    instead of copying the libmysql.dll file to c:\windows, you can instead copy it to the apache\bin directory. this keeps your windows directory clean.
    Another way, which doesn't require any copying of the libmysql.dll file is to simply add C:/PHP to the Windows PATH variable.