SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Redirecting Wordpress blog

Sorry, I'm sure this has come up 100 times before. I did a forum search but couldn't find an answer to my question so would appreciate some help.

I'm wanting to re-direct every page my blog to a website I have build on a domain www.domain.com

IF, the only page on my blog is index.html with a redirect. Will this automatically re-direct people visiting any page of my 'blog' to the home page of my domain (www.domain.com) ?

I.E. Someone visits www.blog.com/internal-page . Will they automatically be directed to www.domain.com ?

I'm sick of trying to find out how to redirect my WHOLE blog to my new domain. Every tutorial I have come across gives instructions to links within the dashboard of WP that are non-existent in my pannel. Maybe i have a new version, or an old version.... but I can't follow them either way.

Will index.html work?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    redirection rule only in index.html would only redirect the user to your new website if visitor visits the home page, otherwise he will continue to browse the old web pages.

If your old website is on Apache, write this in the .htaccess file

Options +FollowSymLinks
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule (.*) http://www.new-domain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks thewebhostingdir. Unfortunately I do not use Apache.

From what I've read, it seems I need to redirect every page of my blog one by one to my new domain. I have 301 Redirect Plugin installed and have use this for a couple of posts in the past.

Is there some way, I can redirect every page on my blog to my domain in one hit?

Thanks.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This article by Stephen Hardgrove is pretty comprehensive in covering the redirect options.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Shyflower, that's a great article. But still, it seems I will need to go through every page to redirect, and to do this I will need to keep my WP blog active with all content.

Is it possible my web host could set something up in regards to redirecting every page on my current domain to my new domain, without any content apart from an index page being needed?

Sorry if that is a really dumb question... I'm just wondering If it's a possibility as I don't really want to keep my entire blog active just so redirects stay active.

If at the end of the day I will need to redirect each page individually, how would I go about redirecting the location of images? I ask, for the example of if someone searches images on Google and clicks on an image from my old domain, are they transfered via the domain, or the location of the image? If it's domain then I presume there is not much concern for redirecting the location of images.

Thanks in advance for any additional help.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try using the cpanel redirect or do it manually with 301 redirect !

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. I tried redirecting my blog through Cpannel but only the index page re-directed, not all the pages within my blog.

I decided to do this manually though, which is probably be the best solution for me because some of the content is on my new site, so doing manual 301 redirects allowed me to direct through to that article - and not just the home page of the new site.

Thanks

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The code from the webhostingdir is redirecting my whole wordpress site, every page, to it's new server and new domain name.

Sweet

SitePoint Enthusiast seanansari's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope this link may help you to redirect blog to new domain - http://yoast.com/move-wordpress-blog-domain-10-steps/