SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yellowstone Supervolcano

I minored in geology in college and have read about the Yellowstone supervolcano before. As you probably know, there's a hot spot deep under the sea that sprouts an occasional island, forming the Hawaiian Island chain. A similar feature has spawned a string of volcanic landscapes across the northwestern U.S., with the last three major eruptions occurring in Yellowstone itself.

A flurry of geologic activity a few years ago spawned some anxiety, triggering a flurry of Internet rumors. I had largely forgotten about it when I spied the current issue of National Geographic, which features an article about the Yellowstone supervolcano.

Apparently, there's been another flurry of seismic activity, leading some to suspect another titanic eruption could be imminent. Of course, no one really knows when the volcano will blow - or if it will at all. One geologist suspects the colossal pool of magma deep below Yellowstone may be safely bottled up by a crust that's thicker than it was in the past, if I understand correctly.

It's still kind of eerie to know that the Yellowstone region is bulging out in a dome and that past eruptions have been more than one thousand times as powerful as the Mt. St. Helens eruption. (I heard Mt. St. Helens while in Bellingham, maybe a couple hundred miles to the north. I can't imagine what a blast 1,000 times as big would sound like.)

Anyway, it really puts a lot of things in perspective. The planet could be abruptly thrust from global warming to volcanic winter. We could certainly forget all about the economic crisis if Yellowstone blows.

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    everyone knows that volcanic upheavals are secretly arranged and coordinated by bill gates

another one of his nefarious schemes to RULEZ DA WOILD

under every seismic hotspot, microsoft has planted several computers running windows ME, windows 95, and windows vista, each carefully preset to explode in the right sequence to set off a TEMBLOR

i'm surprised you haven't dug (no pun intended) this up before

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geosite View Post
    .It's still kind of eerie to know that the Yellowstone region is bulging out in a dome and that past eruptions have been more than one thousand times as powerful as the Mt. St. Helens eruption. (I heard Mt. St. Helens while in Bellingham, maybe a couple hundred miles to the north. I can't imagine what a blast 1,000 times as big would sound like.)
    I find it quite ironic that something that we need to survive is eventually going to destroy the entire world, without volvano's we cannot live yet if this errupts it will wipe out humanity and plunge the earth into darkness for decades.

Yellowstone is also well overdue from past scientific data collected from when they believe the last erruption occured, my bet would be this is what wiped out the dinosaurs.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    everyone knows that volcanic upheavals are secretly arranged and coordinated by bill gates

another one of his nefarious schemes to RULEZ DA WOILD

under every seismic hotspot, microsoft has planted several computers running windows ME, windows 95, and windows vista, each carefully preset to explode in the right sequence to set off a TEMBLOR

i'm surprised you haven't dug (no pun intended) this up before

Thanks for posting that. It's a very interesting statement.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artofmagick View Post
    I find it quite ironic that something that we need to survive is eventually going to destroy the entire world, without volvano's we cannot live yet if this errupts it will wipe out humanity and plunge the earth into darkness for decades.

Yellowstone is also well overdue from past scientific data collected from when they believe the last erruption occured, my bet would be this is what wiped out the dinosaurs.
    Scientists are pretty much in agreement that a meteorite wiped out the dinosaurs.

However, I learned just recently that volcanism is now believed to be the agent that caused the even greater extinction at the end of the Paleozoic Era (when the Age of Dinosaurs began). As I understand it, lava began oozing out of vast rift along an entire continent, increasing the global temperature (by about five degrees, I think) over a period of several thousand years.

Eventually, it triggered some sort of chemical reaction in the sea that boosted the temperature another five degrees or so.

It's a pretty amazing theory, one I had never heard before.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geosite View Post
    Scientists are pretty much in agreement that a meteorite wiped out the dinosaurs.

However, I learned just recently that volcanism is now believed to be the agent that caused the even greater extinction at the end of the Paleozoic Era (when the Age of Dinosaurs began). As I understand it, lava began oozing out of vast rift along an entire continent, increasing the global temperature (by about five degrees, I think) over a period of several thousand years.

Eventually, it triggered some sort of chemical reaction in the sea that boosted the temperature another five degrees or so.

It's a pretty amazing theory, one I had never heard before.
    Ah, the Siberian Flats. Geologists seem to agree that it wasn't just one massive eruption, but a series of them over a period of about 100,000 years or so (IIRC). The chemical reaction you're thinking of is the melting of methane ice - when that stuff melted and got to the surface, it went straight to the atmosphere, causing an even more significant increase in global temperatures.