SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Ad-Hoc" type wired netwrok - Is it possible?

Hi,

Is it possible to set-up and "Ad-Hoc" type wired network between two computers? If so any hints as to how on a Mac (ideally to and ubuntu machine, but I can live with windows if need be).

Thanks,
    Dan.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean connect two PC together though the Ethernet port? Sure, just use a crossover cable (or converter). I would also assume OS X, Ubuntu would also utilize APIPA like Windows.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, this cannot be done with a normal ethernet cable?

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadly not, to connect two of the same device requires a set of wires to be flipped. Unless the device has an uplink port or auto-sensing ports that turns into an uplink. But would be hard pressed to fine a computer with such a feature.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used one computer to provide internet access to another over normal ethernet. Did it once in a dorm where I only had wireless, used a laptop's built in wireless to give a wired desktop a connection. Until recently I was providing my Xbox 360 with an internet connection over an ethernet cable from a desktop.

In all cases I just connected the computers and turned on Internet Connection Sharing through Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    I've used one computer to provide internet access to another over normal ethernet. Did it once in a dorm where I only had wireless, used a laptop's built in wireless to give a wired desktop a connection. Until recently I was providing my Xbox 360 with an internet connection over an ethernet cable from a desktop.

In all cases I just connected the computers and turned on Internet Connection Sharing through Windows.
    Yep, done that before, doing it on a Mac is by far easier than on windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @logic_earth cant reply to you message properly for some reason, but thats annoying. Thanks.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post

It should be pointed out that this only works if at least one of the computers has an auto-sensing NIC. If neither do, you'll need a crossover ethernet cable. (I believe the XBox 360's NIC is auto-sensing for instance.)