User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

need to re-order wordpress posts by category and custom field

Hello,

I am trying to display posts on my front page sorted by category and custom field instead of date. But I think I am SOL and have to hack wordpress's sql to do this? is there a better way? or can I sort by tags? The wordpress docs seem to indicate that I can't.

Thanks,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't touch the sql, keep in mind that future upgrades might affect that.

You should be able to accomplish that by editing your theme's index or home page. This might help - I've not tried it, but it says you can sort order by category by following these tips

http://perishablepress.com/press/200...ss-post-order/

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the quick reply, I was trying that page but no luck. I am not sure if its my page causing the plugin not to work or just the plugin not working. It seems like I'd be able to find lots of info for this but I can't.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One big drawback for me with WordPress is not being able to sort actual posts. I am using the my category order plugin at http://geekyweekly.com/ and it works pretty well. He also has plugins for link order.

Someday hopefully WordPress will have the ability to sort by title, date, number of views... etc. for posts.