SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Career and Burnout advice

So I've been a Microsoft Programming Consultant going on 6 years working for the same client the whole time. I'm making good money and have great benefits etc, I get to develop many Enterprise web applications used by eveyone from consumers, small businesses, and other enterprises to manage their accounts. The work comes in waves, ill be busy as hell developing a major application for 3 months then hardly anything for 2 months. I'm still on the clock for the downtime but bored out of my skull. I do my best at learning and building new sites using the most up-to-date technologies in the down time but even that starts to get old. I'm sick of being stuck in a cube, having nothing in common with the majority of my coworkers, and not really having any say in the big picture. Basically im told "we need this do it".

I'm respected for my skills and talents. I graduated top of my IT class with a BS degree and before starting this job was always "wowing" people with the things i did. Some how i ending up in this position, probably because of the money.

So im at a point where i have several options. I have an amazing long term girlfriend that makes more than i do and has offered to help support a career or life change. My passions lie in running my own business, music, and cooking. Quite different from one another I know.

I have one website that is 80% from an alpha version. Its quite an undertaking but i feel like it fills a gap that is not being taken care of on the internet. Not to give too many details but its similar to pandora but with a major twist and not as complicated (ie. no music genome project). I have a business outline assembled that will help craft a full business plan. One area im really having problems with is the financials. The site would be supported from ad revenue for the most part and i have no idea how to estimate. I'm also scared to fully bootstrap the entire thing myself which means getting investors.

I know im totally rambling but bare with me. My thought is to leave my job, start doing contract work on the side to make at least some money, start my website business, and even start taking part time culinary classes.

So is this a smart idea? Am i just being a dreamer with my website idea, and being one of those "build it and they will come" type people? Maybe i just need to find a job somewhere else thats not so coporate? As you can see im torn in many directions.

Thanks for reading.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of things

1. It's not that easy to get investors if you don't have any suggestions for making money from it except ad revenue, and even if you have, there's a whole lot of other things you need to show them before you get them on board.
    2. Having just one website is a huge risk that could work out, but to make this a success you should really focus on just this one thing and don't get distracted by contract work.
    3. Get somebody on board, doing it alone might work but I've found getting someone with similar goals and values on board helps.
    4. Not sure what kind of business skills you have, so have you thought of doing an MBA? Doing one should equip you with everything you need to run a business successfully, alternatively, you could then also apply for jobs higher up and then actually have some input in the bigger picture. Alternatively, get a person who got some business skills, accounting, marketing, hr, law, stuff like that.
    5. Marry your girlfriend
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    c2uk is absolutely right. Anyone can make a product, but only a successful person can make it profitable.

As suggested I'd recommend taking an MBA, perhaps part-time within a marketing role. It's not the best technical move but it'll teach you important aspects of business that will help you get on your way if you do decide to go down this road.

If you do decide to leave, haul as much money together as you possibly can and prepare to live on it for a couple of months, maybe even a year or two. Those regular few that succeed talk of many hardships along the way and the need to have some sort of money behind you is of the utmost importance, not for the business but for your life.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brohar, more than one way I share the same issues you're having but I don't think that's the best route in "my" opinion. If I were you, I keep your daytime job and while you're bored, work on your private project. Why not kill 2 birds in 1 stone? As for culinary school, I think you can still fit this into your schedule. If your company has flexible schedule then, I don't see this as a problem. The last thing I want to be is depending on g/f's financial support. Please don't be "that" guy.