SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist adesignrsa's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the best hosted web management system?

Please note those two words "best" and "hosted". Also note, I am not looking for free (or not even necesserily "cheap") solutions. I'm looking for the best.

Hosted web services are (IMO) absolutely brilliant, but unfortunately they are all over the place. If you want a SquareSpace site, you need to use something like FormSpring to manage your forms. If you're using Yola, the same applies, and the image galleries require you to be on Flickr.

Now, while these mashups have their value, sometimes you want to login to one interface, create new pages, blog posts, photo galleries, forms and whatever... Not log into Flickr or Smugmug for images, FormSpring for forms, CampaignMonitor for email marketing etc.

What I'm in search for is essentially the holy grail. A company that is devoted to only working on their system, keeping all their client's systems up to date (the nature and true power of hosted solutions) and one that allows the versatility to not face brick walls when it comes to creativity and features.

Your 2c most appreciated.
    Ross Allchorn
    Web Consultant
    www.allchorn.com
    Twitter - @allchornr

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Um,.. one I've been touted about the place is Good Barry, but I've not got any direct experience of it. If anyone has, I'd be interested to hear what they thought about it.

Apart from that, it's also the only one known to me that has all the features you're describing.

That's my 2c for what it's worth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WordPress VIP hosting seems to be one of the most highly recommended services:
    http://en.wordpress.com/vip-hosting/

The cost starts at US$500/month and includes support for forms, images, galleries, polls and lots of other stuff you may like to have on your site.

You can also get a hosted forum to accompany your WordPress powered site for only US$1000/month ... http://talkpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure I know of the Holy Grail but I think Media Temple is pretty awesome, I haven't found a better host yet. Alternatively you could do it all yourself with slicehost, they were fantastic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JREAM View Post
    I'm not sure I know of the Holy Grail but I think Media Temple is pretty awesome, I haven't found a better host yet. Alternatively you could do it all yourself with slicehost, they were fantastic.
    Unfortunately that's the exact opposite of what original poster is looking for. They're asking about fully hosted web management systems, not web hosting solutions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. I have looked into Squarespace further and quite frankly it seems to be the best.

I really like Wordpress, but Squarespace just does so much more out the box. Perhaps I'm missing something, but does Wordpress.com have form management? If so, where? The Wordpress I know I need to install cforms or another plugin for this, and when the next version of Wordpress comes out, I have to manually check that the versions are compatable... one word... schlep!

Does anyone know of something else? As good, or better than Squarespace?
    Ross Allchorn
    Web Consultant
    www.allchorn.com
    Twitter - @allchornr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adesignrsa View Post
    I really like Wordpress, but Squarespace just does so much more out the box. Perhaps I'm missing something, but does Wordpress.com have form management? If so, where? The Wordpress I know I need to install cforms or another plugin for this, and when the next version of Wordpress comes out, I have to manually check that the versions are compatable... one word... schlep!
    Depending on what you require, the WordPress guys may write the forms for you so you wouldn't need to use a plugin. They may also make sure your plugins are up to date and compatible with the latest version, although I'm not sure. It may also depend on which plugins you wanted to use.

AFAIK SquareSpace is very much at the cheap end of the spectrum. I don't think they offer the same level of service is WordPress, although that is purely from heresay, I haven't actually used either service myself. From what I saw on their site, the most expensive option available on SquareSpace was only US$50/month whereas WordPress.com VIP service starts at US$500/month so quite a substantial difference in price. I know more expensive doesn't always equal better, but I would suspect that in this case it does.

From what I can see on SquareSpace.com it seems to be quite limited in what you can do with it, whereas with WordPress you are allowed to load your own themes and (I assume) plugins. I'm guessing they check over whatever you want to use before installing it first, but from what I can gather there does not seem to be many limitations on WordPress.com.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    amazon cloudfront + s3 +

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm... wordpress VIP insists on A “Powered by WordPress.com VIP” link on your site.

Most of my high profile clients would RUN if i mentioned something like that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaq View Post
    Most of my high profile clients would RUN if i mentioned something like that
    I'm sure it could be removed ... for a fee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhellyer View Post
    I'm sure it could be removed ... for a fee
    And rightfully so I would think...

Think about it... would you take the BMW logo off your car?
    Ross Allchorn
    Web Consultant
    www.allchorn.com
    Twitter - @allchornr

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adesignrsa View Post
    And rightfully so I would think...

Think about it... would you take the BMW logo off your car?
    Well many of my clients charge thousands every month for a "link" on their site.

And although I wont remove a BMW logo, i would definately de-badge the Skoda logo. Lets face it - VIP or no VIP - wordpress is no BMW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaq View Post
    Well many of my clients charge thousands every month for a "link" on their site.
    Does that entitle them to not give credit to those that created the software on which their site is running (of course depending on what they're using).

As ryanhellyer says... for a fee. If they're making thousands for a link, why not pay for theirs to be removed.
    Ross Allchorn
    Web Consultant
    www.allchorn.com
    Twitter - @allchornr

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    considering their website is their property, I believe they should have the option to choose whether they want to advertise another company - FOR FREE - or not.

Lets face it - in the business world nothing is free. Sure if you scratch my back, ill scratch yours... but "you use my software, you must provide me with free marketing" - never heard that one before. (actually i have - but only from unprofessional firms)

That's why white labeling is such an important aspect in business - many companies dont like endorsing or providing free marketing to other companies.

If it's not FREE opensource, then you shouldnt expect anything free in return.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it depends on the terms laid out by the software vendor. Note at the bottom of this page, the mandated vBulletin declaration.

If they want to use Wordpress VIP or something where they either show the endorsement or pay for it's removal, then so be it. As you said, in the business world nothing is free
    Ross Allchorn
    Web Consultant
    www.allchorn.com
    Twitter - @allchornr