SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow new .anything domains

new gTLD's are scheduled for release by ICANN in 2010 right. I found a website that is letting you preorder them and then can link you right to the back end registry when the new gTLD's get released. Pretty sweet I think.

www.nextwebboom.com

I liked the site and bought a few myself.

Thoughts... comments?

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry but how can they pre-register non sanctioned ICANN extensions until they have been approved, this website seems like a scam to me, perhaps I am wrong though. I just don't believe ICANN would be crazy enough to let anyone register whatever dot extension they like without any control over the TLD's.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as hooperman pointed out in a different post that the URL I posted www.nextwebboom.com did redirect to www.yoursitecan.be I forgot to mention that in the other post and he jumped on it

nextwebboom.com was what i ran across in youtube
    Sorry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    Sorry but how can they pre-register non sanctioned ICANN extensions until they have been approved, this website seems like a scam to me, perhaps I am wrong though. I just don't believe ICANN would be crazy enough to let anyone register whatever dot extension they like without any control over the TLD's.
    You are right, because that technically impossible to do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, that does not make sense! They're trying to make popular the website by spreading such news.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is not possible. There cannot be any pre registrations at all for any of the domains that have extensions which are yet to be approved.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there is no way to effectively pre-register domains before the corresponding gTLD has been released. However you always have companies offering such a service but there is absolutely no warranty they will manage to register a domain for you if/when the gTLD will be activated and delegated to a Registry by ICANN.
    Last edited by Dan Grossman; Sep 19, 2009 at 22:32. Reason: Faux signature removed

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think it was some time last year that the domain rules were changed to allow direct registration of new TLDs that can be anything at all. You just need to be able to afford the multi-million dollar fee for doing so and you get your choice of any TLD you want that isn't already taken.

Trying to get people to pre-order within a TLD that hasn't yet been purchased is most likely a scam though since whoever is offering such a deal probably doesn't have the money to be able to afford even one new TLD unless they get millions of pre-orders for the same TLD (and even then they'd probably need to collect the money for the first year's registration in advance of registering giving them time to disappear in between collecting the money and registering the TLD).
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">