SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interview Questionnaire Issue

Hello everyone,

I just applied to a web developer position for a company, and the HR department sent me a preliminary questionnaire.

Here is one of the questions:

Are you familiar with issues of browser/server compatibility, including which browsers and servers work well together and which ones do not?
    Could it be possible that they are meaning "cross-browser compatibility" issues?

I know that you cannot get a current version of IE for the Mac platform... but almost any server should be able to work with almost any browser (or at least all mainstream browsers) right?

IIS, Apache, GWS - all of these are compatible with just about any browser on the market. The whole point of a web servers existence is that it can serve HTML to any web browser.

Does anyone else have any insight into why they would ask this question, or am I missing something entirely?

Thanks!
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a
    hard battle." -Plato

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like HR made the questions without consulting IT
    You could say sharepoint and IE work well together.

other than that its really up to the person developing the site to make sure it( all browsers) work together.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ yep sounds like someone in HR doesn't know their peas from their onions

Ask them if it's a trick question then explain how browsers and servers work together in the real world

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are you familiar with issues of browser/server compatibility, including which browsers and servers work well together and which ones do not?
    They did use the / "or" reference though so cross-browser compatibility is the obvious thing they were hinting at, if you just point out the quirk in the question and then state what you know about browser compatibility issues (stuff like hasLayout always wins points) you should be fine, bit naughty that they had such an obvious mistake though because you are correct in that servers themselves have no issues with browsers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I wanted to create a general reply to their question that puts the issue on target without being overly technical - or sounding pompous.

Here is my reply:

The issue of compatibility generally falls between browsers and the code written for them. It’s usually referred to as “cross browser compatibility”.

The most popular internet servers are ISS (for windows), Apache (open source), and GWS (by google). All three of these servers are capable of serving HTML along with other files to all major web browsers and those used in mobile devices such as cell phones. These web browsers include all versions of Internet Explorer (IE), all open-source Mozilla browsers (including Firefox and the various offshoots of Firefox), Opera, Netscape Navigator (no longer being developed), Googles Chrome browser, and many others.

The problem, however, occurs when one of these browsers adopts proprietary rules for how the HTML and/or CSS is displayed within the browser. The W3C is the organization responsible for developing standards by which web content should be displayed. Generally, most browser developers follow these standards, however, they are not always followed or implemented exactly the way they were meant to have been. In other words, the same code may look completely different on Internet Explorer than it looks on Firefox. Even further, the same code that you run in Internet Explorer 6, may look completely different from the code that is run in Internet Explorer 7!

This is what is meant by cross-browser compatibility. I deal with it by testing my work in various versions of Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Chrome, and other browsers. Sites that are made entirely with Flash, or Silverlight, though, are exempt from this issue. However they require that the Flash and/or Silverlight plug-in be installed in the browser in order to see the content.
    Hopefully this will suffice for now and I can add details if I get a personal interview.
    hard battle." -Plato

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most popular internet servers are ISS (for windows), Apache (open source), and GWS (by google).
    ISS= International Space Station
    IIS= Internet Information Services.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doh! Damn acronyms!

Thanks for pointing it out - I did manage to catch it before I sent it off though.

hard battle." -Plato

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck phillipus_rex, I hope you get the job.

I am trying to get an internship at a web design company myself. What are some of the other questions they asked you, if I may ask?

The reason is that I've already been to barnes & noble and I haven't found any "web design" interview prep books or questions.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is not a issue it is a procedure to check the creativity of your mind.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is a clear case of communication failure from the HR person to the person who asked that question. Simply, you should follow up w/ clarification. Possibly, re-iterating the question in your words and ask for verification.

If the architect truly asked "which browser and which server works well together....", I would worry about their project status..... Sometimes you know more about a person by the questions being asked. But, I'm about 99% sure it's HR's fault in that question. Most likely, as you said it's a "cross-browser" question. G'luck! Just a tip for the interview, don't be overconfident!